Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:19:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ben Affleck is Batman

Started by Noodle Lizard, August 23, 2013, 02:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

What a waste of our time these films are. I just can't be bothered to give them any more of my money. It's got nothing to do with who plays Batman and all to do with wanting some other sorts of stories now, please.

But there are other sorts of stories. Plenty. You're talking as if you've got a gun against your head and you have no choice but to go see this film.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Default to the negative on August 24, 2013, 05:58:37 PM
But there are other sorts of stories. Plenty. You're talking as if you've got a gun against your head and you have no choice but to go see this film.
I was attempting to make a point about how boring these sort of films have become, and how if I want to go to the cinema during the summer these films take up quite a lot of the screens and times, meaning more interesting films get fewer and fewer showings, often when I'm at work or at more inconvenient times. I was trying to use slightly over-the-top language to get my point across, but clearly exact literalism is the way to go at all times.

But no, no-one is holding a gun to my head forcing me to go and see this, and yes, there are other stories.

Almost all these films will make their money back, eventually, and most of them will make a tidy profit. As a fan of comics, there are a million great stories in there, but the studios seem fixated on a fairly small number, with the most important being origin stories. But, if they know they're going to make their money back, given the property they have, why not do something interesting with it? If the X-Men film is really going to be "Days Of Future Past", that's a start at least...but rather than having Superman destroy several cities in the big end fight that just goes on and on, why not do "All Star Superman" instead? Rather than the not-very-good "Dark Knight Rises", why not "The Killing Joke" or "Mad Love"?

kitsofan34

This is going to be so po faced and overly serious. No ruddy thank you.

WesterlyWinds

Does Jon Hamm actually have a large penis?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: WesterlyWinds on August 24, 2013, 07:14:44 PM
Does Jon Hamm actually have a large penis?

It's certainly sizeable.

Apparently Liam Neeson and Willem Dafoe are "head to head" (tee hee) as far as biggest celebrity cock goes, though.  Michael Fassbender's is slightly overrated, he'd clearly been fluffing a bit for those shots in 'Shame'.

Spiteface

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 24, 2013, 07:20:05 PM
Apparently Liam Neeson and Willem Dafoe are "head to head" (tee hee) as far as biggest celebrity cock goes, though.  Michael Fassbender's is slightly overrated, he'd clearly been fluffing a bit for those shots in 'Shame'.

http://liamneesonscock.tumblr.com/

biggytitbo

He was never a big film star, but John Bindon has a cock so large it even impressed royalty. He could hang at least 5 half pint glasses on it according to many accounts.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The good thing about this is you'll hardly be able to see him at all.

eluc55

It's fucking Batman, people.

Batman. The coolest motherfucker in the universe.

I despair of you lot at times.

Head Gardener

Bad Ambassador

Batman vs. Superman was in active development at the time, to be directed by Wolfgang Petersen.

Quote from: eluc55 on August 25, 2013, 01:39:03 AM
It's fucking Batman, people.

Batman. The coolest motherfucker in the universe.

I despair of you lot at times.

SteveDave

Ooh this works doesn't it?

from that AICN article

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: SteveDave on August 27, 2013, 12:22:40 AM
Ooh this works doesn't it?

You could replace Ben's face with that of Joe Pasquale and it'd still "work" in that photo. 

Okay actually it wouldn't.  Still, let's not get excited.  Though I'm sure if the film sucks it won't be Ben Affleck's fault.

El Unicornio, mang

"Ryan Gosling was also a possibility". No. Robin, maybe.

Tiny Poster

Cranston as Luthor, apparently.

Angst in my Pants

If you want to watch a good Batman film, you can watch five of them here:
http://www.princecharlescinema.com/events/events.php?seasonanchor=batman

It's only seven hours, so no need to worry about needing a wee.

eluc55

Those five films are all bloody brilliant. The Dark Knight Returns: Part 2 is the second best Batman film after Nolan's Dark Knight.

checkoutgirl

I often underestimate Ben Affleck, or as I call him, The Fleckster. But he keeps surprising me. Argo, The Town, Dogma, Good Wool Hinting, Jay and Silent Bob Eat Ass are all decent performances by the Fleckmeister General and he was supposed to be just fine in Hollywoodland which I didn't see myself. Fleckypoos will be fine. I just think that the most negative folks on t'internet tend to shout the loudest and get the most attention. There's a thing about Skyler in Breaking Bad being hated by loads of fans but I'm not convinced. It's just a few hundred idiots on facebook talking bollocks. If the last few years have thought us anything it's that the opinions of comic book fan boys and facebook tit heads are fucking irrelevant and profoundly so.

As for the film itself, who gives a bollocks ? It's another superfilm and these lads are about a decade behind Marvel and they have a lot of catching up to do. What in the holy godballs took them so fucking long ? Maybe Ang Lee's Hulk made a load of people think twice about super films. The is a golden age for comic book film fans and jizz. I'm ambivalent about it now but I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of getting excited about it when it comes out.

Kane Jones

Quote from: eluc55 on August 30, 2013, 09:48:02 PM
Those five films are all bloody brilliant. The Dark Knight Returns: Part 2 is the second best Batman film after Nolan's Dark Knight.

I bought the two TDKR blu rays recently and watched them back to back. It's absolutely fucking brilliant.

eluc55

Quote from: Kane Jones on August 30, 2013, 10:23:50 PM
I bought the two TDKR blu rays recently and watched them back to back. It's absolutely fucking brilliant.

Yep, they really are superb.

Great voice casting. Peter Weller might well be my favourite Batman now, and Michael Emerson is a bloody great Joker. I love his delivery of "Are you out of your mind?", seconds after he gets a batarang in his eyeball. 

The soundtracks for both are superb, too; a great collection of 80's synth's and electronic music - the Joker's carnival theme, in particular.

Please, please track them down or import them if you like Batman, folks. 

Kane Jones

Quote from: eluc55 on August 30, 2013, 10:53:15 PM
the Joker's carnival theme

Haha, this music is brilliant. I was trying to think of how I could steal/sample this piece for one of my own tunes while watching it. Fantastic.

eluc55

I cant find it anywhere, though! There's not even a crappy rip on youtube.

Man, I'd do anything for the soundtrack to both films.

Kane Jones

Quote from: eluc55 on August 30, 2013, 10:58:53 PM
I cant find it anywhere, though! There's not even a crappy rip on youtube.

Man, I'd do anything for the soundtrack to both films.

Bah. That's my plan scuppered then.

eluc55

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/2013/06/trade-ad-released-for-upcoming-batman-the-dark-knight-returns-deluxe-edition-home-video-release/

This seems to suggest that the soundtracks coming out in October with a special edition of the films. Might be in America, but hopefully it'll be available on youtube soon afterwards.

Angst in my Pants

Quote from: eluc55 on August 30, 2013, 09:48:02 PM
What I loved in the comics and never thought I'd see on film - animated or otherwise - was the finale of TDKR part one, and the delivery of
Spoiler alert
Joker's "Daaaarling."
[close]
- an amazing adaptation for so many reasons, but that particular bit gave me great geeky pleasure.

SteveDave

Saw this on the Tweet machine today & believe this is what the Joker should look like in the next film should they decide to do the Joker again

or go back in time & get 1984 Gary Busey to play him...

Spiteface

Christ yes. I loved "Death of the Family" and Joker wearing his own face as a mask is one of my favourite things in the New 52. Could never work out how he was able to speak properly though.