Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:50:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

A game of D&D on C&B

Started by Fry, August 24, 2013, 12:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fry

Would anybody be interested in starting a roleplaying session online? I don't know how possible it is, but I am certain there's probably software specifically made for the purpose. Just gauging interest here.

I ain't played D&D but I think I'd be up for it. I like the idea of the social aspects and improvised storytelling and that.

Unless of course it turns out to be tedious. Do I need to read shitloads of rules first?

Tiny Poster

Quote from: Fry on August 24, 2013, 12:01:29 PM
Would anybody be interested in starting a roleplaying session online?

ha ha looser

KnuckleSupper

I'd be interested. Getting my RPG fix from Bioware games and Brian Posehn's podcast[nb]Which I thought started well but has tailed off a bit[/nb].

What ruleset were you thinking? Have a passing familiarity with 2 - 3.5 but I have no idea what they're up to now.

madhair60

I'm interested but I'm new to D&D.

MonkeyDrummer

Id be up for that too. Chalk me up as a first timer

How long do these games take, out of interest?

KnuckleSupper

As long as whoever's running it wants, essentially. Or until everyone gets killed. Or bored.

I dunno what a beginner's starter campaign would look like. 4 - 10hours maybe?

Quote from: KnuckleSupper on August 27, 2013, 02:05:20 PM
4 - 10hours maybe?

Chriiiiiiiiiist...All at once? I'd definitely be up for splitting up the sessions if they're going to take 10 hours. Four hours would probably be my max. Especially with strangers who may immediately dislike me or vice-versa.

That said, if we are doing this, I'm happy to read up on shit, just point out which ruleset we're doing and point me to where I should look and I'll try and prepare as best I can so I don't hold you more experienced guys back.

KnuckleSupper

Oh I wasn't suggesting we do it all at once. An hour or two once or twice a week would work fine.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/leisure/brain-games/beginners-guide-dungeons-and-dragons.htm Seems to be a good guide for people new to the game. Check out the How Stuff Works podcasts too while you're there - Stuff You Should Know and Stuff You Missed in History Class are frequently excellent.

Treguard of Dunshelm

Never played D&D but I'm interested.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

As long as someone tells me what the D's stand for.

ziggy starbucks

garbed_attic

Would do! I played Vampire: The Masquerade some years back and had great fun pretending to be an undead poacher who was intensely upset about the enclosure acts.

syntaxerror

Still Not George

Not really got the time for this atm, but if y'all are looking for a good online roleplaying platform, Roll20 is pretty awesome.

Big Jack McBastard

I've played many an RPG with old (2nd edition) rules, not played a live game in 20 years.

Go on then I'm in too.

Fry

I completely forgot about this! Lovely to see so many people interested!

KnuckleSupper seems to have something pretty fancy brewing, we'll hopefully get something sorted soon.

Interested Parties:

Sir Fryton, Count of Funtopia
Bored of Canada
KnuckleSupper
madhair60
MonkeyDrummer
ziggy starbucks
Treguard of Dunshelm
Shoulders?-Stomach!
gout_pony
syntaxerror
Big Jack McBastard

Don't worry if you've never played before. I've only played rarely, and when i do pretty much all the rules go out of the window early. Not saying it will be like that this time though, I'm sure we'll find a level of rules intensiveness that is fun.

Milo

I'd be up for it, though prefer Pathfinder if possible.

Milo

Or Dungeon World or Fate if we prefer a focus on storytelling rather than rules.

(Fate is available on pay what you like terms. Worth a look.)

ziggy starbucks

as a novice, what should I do to get myself ready for this? Is there a book i have to read?

alcoholic messiah

Quote from: ziggy starbucks on August 30, 2013, 09:46:03 PM
as a novice, what should I do to get myself ready for this? Is there a book i have to read?

Any idea on rough times you want to give this a go? I mean, I guess you need to write up/at least get some basic ideas in your head regarding the story before you host a game, obviously. But just want to work out if I'm going to be particuarly busy. And also basic times that'd work for people? You guys are all living in the flippin' past so I'll work around your time-zones obviously. Shouldn't be a problem.

I'd ask questions about other beginners stuff but I'll read through all of Knucklesupper's link first.

ziggy starbucks

Quote from: Bored of Canada on August 31, 2013, 10:39:09 AM
I'd ask questions about other beginners stuff but I'll read through all of Knucklesupper's link first.

Quote from: KnuckleSupper on August 27, 2013, 02:21:53 PM
http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/leisure/brain-games/beginners-guide-dungeons-and-dragons.htm Seems to be a good guide for people new to the game. Check out the How Stuff Works podcasts too while you're there - Stuff You Should Know and Stuff You Missed in History Class are frequently excellent.

Quote from: ziggy starbucks on August 30, 2013, 09:46:03 PM

ahhhh

Big Jack McBastard

Is Knuckle Supper our future DM?

What rule set might we use? Also are we starting with random pre-rolled bods or having something assigned to us or rolling bespoke ones?

KnuckleSupper

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on August 31, 2013, 11:40:48 PM
Is Knuckle Supper our future DM?

I have some familiarity with 2nd and 3rd editions, but I' m by no means an expert, and I haven't DMed before. That said, I'd be willing to give it a crack. My message to Fry was essentially about the fact that we probably have too many interested to do a traditional style questy adventure, but I think I've come up with a scenario that would enable everyone to get involved as small groups in the same overarching story. The quests would be a bit different, but all the  PCs would be operating in the same framework, and the groups could be mixed and matched depending on availability without harming the story at all.

I'd quite like to run it past someone experienced to see if they reckon it'd work for us, so please do drop me a line if that's you.

Still Not George

Quote from: KnuckleSupper on September 01, 2013, 12:32:42 AM
I have some familiarity with 2nd and 3rd editions, but I' m by no means an expert, and I haven't DMed before. That said, I'd be willing to give it a crack. My message to Fry was essentially about the fact that we probably have too many interested to do a traditional style questy adventure, but I think I've come up with a scenario that would enable everyone to get involved as small groups in the same overarching story. The quests would be a bit different, but all the  PCs would be operating in the same framework, and the groups could be mixed and matched depending on availability without harming the story at all.

I'd quite like to run it past someone experienced to see if they reckon it'd work for us, so please do drop me a line if that's you.

Fire away. I've not got the time to run or regularly play, but I should be able to give it a lookover.

Big Jack McBastard

Why am I completely unsurprised? :)