Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:08:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Good monster designs

Started by Thomas, August 25, 2013, 12:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: small_world on August 28, 2013, 11:19:36 PM
Ahhhh. Other kid freaky things... THE MOOMINS!!
Eugh, they were proper well weird, especially that little girl one.

Someone post a moomin.

Ha, I went to Moomin land last Monday, but it was shut...lucky escape?

BlodwynPig

Glebe

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 31, 2013, 03:01:14 PM

Tarrant was briefly unemployed following Tiswas, he got £5 for moonlighting on this.

Quote from: Repentia on August 31, 2013, 02:51:35 PM
Pennywise as the gas station attendant was probably the creepiest form he took. It was the little smile he gave as he let slip a line of dramatic irony.

You've just ever so lightly touched a distant memory of mine. Was that in the film or just the book? Could you post the excerpt that this bit is from please?

Repentia

Don't click if you haven't seen IT reset the timecode instead. It's a great TVM, well worth the running time.

The motel gas station feint is not as effective out of context. It's a tiny scene spliced into a lot of larger ones where Pennywise kicks off with more showy supernatural malice. It's still one of the most memorable elements of IT, though, that and the balloons in the library, and the blood in the sink that the horrible old father can't see.

Don_Preston

Repentia

Medusa in the recent Clash Of The Titans. She off-sets her over-CGI-ness by the way she moves really quickly and serpentine-like, slithering up columns, leaping gaps and moving overhead of the puny mortals to disorientate them.

Other medusae just sort of sit there waiting for a hero to come along and cut off their head. This one puts up an impressive fight appropriate to her monstrous attributes, and seems to be really enjoying it too. She's the best thing in the film, although Ralph Fiennes as an emo Hades is entertaining.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Repentia on August 31, 2013, 06:15:34 PM
Medusa in the recent Clash Of The Titans. She off-sets her over-CGI-ness by the way she moves really quickly and serpentine-like, slithering up columns, leaping gaps and moving overhead of the puny mortals to disorientate them.

Other medusae just sort of sit there waiting for a hero to come along and cut off their head. This one puts up an impressive fight appropriate to her monstrous attributes, and seems to be really enjoying it too. She's the best thing in the film, although Ralph Fiennes as an emo Hades is entertaining.

Ah, see, I disagree with that. The Medusa you refer to is a threat because she'll physically get you, whereas the thing that makes Medusa scary for me, is the slow burn of something you aren't allowed to look at.

I much prefer the weight that the Ray Harryhausen Medusa has, as she drags her serpentine bulk along. She's slow and laborious in her movement, which makes the temptation to look at her all the more palpable.

Hangthebuggers

Devil man I and II animated manga nonsense, but was brilliantly imaginative with a stunning scene which looks almost like an idyllic heaven filled with cheeky imps and faeries in a lush landscape, until everything flips on its head when they start getting ripped apart by demons of all shapes and sizes... and bursting out of each other and absorbing each other with tendrils...

Typically brilliantly mad manga/anime, but very dated now.

Feralkid

This guy. Specifically his look during the end of Hooper's original. The juxtaposition of chainsaw and human flesh mask with his Sunday best really unnerves me. Killing and eating dumb kids isn't an issue for him but sitting down to dinner with the family without making the effort sartorially would be unthinkable.

http://aboutnicigirl.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/texas-chainsaw-masacre.html

Popshed

To say it was created in 1966 for a prime-time television show, I think this is pretty effective and still quite unsettling. The bags under the eyes tell of terrible loneliness and a creature that's weary of killing but just can't stop. I feel sad for the salt-sucker but also want to blast its face off.

garbed_attic

Some ace Junji Ito monster designs:

And here's a pretty wonderful blog of monster images and art through the ages:
http://monsterbrains.blogspot.co.uk/

Brundle-Fly

A Zanti Misfit from 1960s TV sci-fi show, The Outer Limits

BlodwynPig

Blumf

Honk Hooonk!

Finally got around to watching this (Netflix) and it's a pretty good movie. Played straight, it's a little goofy but carries itself okay.

The Car itself is brilliant though, managing to look anonymous yet otherworldly whilst being menacing.

Brundle-Fly

Ghost Story (1981)   This design has been influential over the years from Hellraiser to Cabin In The Woods.