Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:43:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

(Films you turned off before the end) SNOBBERY

Started by clingfilm portent, August 26, 2013, 02:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Apologies if this thread has already been done but I just wanted to hear other peoples experiences of having a film that so bored/enRAGED you that you just couldn't see it through. Or maybe you just decided that it wasn't for you and got out sharpish. Maybe you were at some kind of establishment that projects films onto large screens and you just gave in?

One that always comes to mind is Me, You and Everyone We Know. I've read that it picks up after a slow start, but the fuckawfully self-aware quirkiness grated on me to such an extent that the DVD player couldn't ejected have that disc of pure loathsomeness any swifter. I think I lasted less than 20 minutes.

This brings onto the main point. Do you consider yourself a snob?

After wrestling with it for years I think I have to confess I am. Some films simply fall neatly into the comfy categories of highbrow and lowbrow.

On the other hand, I don't like the idea that to enjoy films from either end of this spectrum you are required to use more or less brainpower to absorb them. Films either 'work' or they don't. I just like films to hold up to scrutiny, which unfortunately for my defense means that I often project things onto the people behind the films things like 'they don't know what they're doing' or conclude that they treat their audience with contempt (Dreamworks range of charm-free kid shit).

This stuff seems obvious, but apparently in the very-much-real, unsafe and basically barbaric non-internet world, saying these kinds of things can make people think you're a twat.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I tried watching the Star Trek reboot while on a plane, but found Kirk so repellent that I couldn't see it through to the end. There seems to be a current trend in movies where smug, self satisfied arseholes are celebrated. See Iron Man.

Iron Man works because of Robert Downey Jr's charisma... YMMV. While I agree with you I think it's business as usual for Hollywood.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: clingfilm portent on August 26, 2013, 02:56:19 PM
Iron Man works because of Robert Downey Jr's charisma... YMMV. While I agree with you I think it's business as usual for Hollywood.

I do really like RDJ, but Iron Man's a cunt. The first film even has what should clearly be his story arc - rich, arrogant weapons tycoon gets a taste of his own medicine, is tortured, survives, sees the error of his ways, changes and becomes a better man committed to defending the innocent - however, he doesn't change, he stays arrogant, but inside a flying gun, so he can wreak his terrible vengeance.

Arrogant bastards used to learn their lesson. It was better in my day!

I haven't seen Iron Man 2 or 3, actually. Something has always put me off somehow.

SavageHedgehog

I found his prickishness a turn off in the first movie, but quite funny in the third for some reason (the reason possibly being Shane Black)

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on August 26, 2013, 02:53:06 PM
I tried watching the Star Trek reboot while on a plane, but found Kirk so repellent that I couldn't see it through to the end. There seems to be a current trend in movies where smug, self satisfied arseholes are celebrated. See Iron Man.

Im with you. All too often it would appear that making 'updating' a concept involves dragging any naive charm to the trashcan and peopling its modernised universe with glib, knowing anuses.
Having said that ive never been keen on any star trek.

Glebe

I hate it when reviewers joke about fast forwarding the bad bits in movies... even if something's crap, I always feel you have to watch the whole thing, you can't just skip bits. Then again, I'm the kind of sick individual that has to watch the full end credits of my Blu-rays (uh-oh, shouldn't have posted that!)!

Quote from: clingfilm portent on August 26, 2013, 03:07:01 PMI haven't seen Iron Man 2 or 3, actually. Something has always put me off somehow.

Even though the 'rich playboy being taught humility' theme is a major part of the Iron Man films, l just feel Stark is just a bit too much of a swaggering cock to be really likeable. I'm really not an Iron Man fan, though. The first one was okay, 2 is generally fucking dreadful (there are actually a couple of nice moments, but Mickey Rourke is wasted and the ending is incredibly weak, a 'damp squib' as they say) and 3 is actually pretty entertaining and funny, albeit in that knowing, contrived style a lot films are done now). Oh, and The Avengers is also good stuff, although the final battle is a bit predictable and not particularly impressive.

Quote from: Glebe on August 26, 2013, 03:47:00 PM
Oh, and The Avengers is also good stuff, although the final battle is a bit predictable and not particularly impressive.

I lasted until the titles started rolling, then bailed. That said, I wasn't exactly in the mood at the time, so I will probably give it another chance.

Lyfjaberg

Quote from: Glebe on August 26, 2013, 03:47:00 PM
I hate it when reviewers joke about fast forwarding the bad bits in movies... even if something's crap, I always feel you have to watch the whole thing, you can't just skip bits. Then again, I'm the kind of sick individual that has to watch the full end credits of my Blu-rays (uh-oh, shouldn't have posted that!)!

Jesus Christ this wonderful typeface is in FULL HD which isn't like TOTALLY full HD it's not like a PC graphics card MAXING OUT on like OVERCLOCKED but still it's like being in the PRINTING PRESS and holding the LETTER BLOCKS and being all THIS IS ONE HUNDRED PERCENT TOTALLY REAL YO I can FEEL these letters as they scroll up the screen and JESUS H CHRIST some of these letters make WORDS and FUCK this word is MY NAME this film is NAME CHECKING ME.

Glebe

Quote from: Lyfjaberg on August 26, 2013, 04:27:40 PMJesus Christ this wonderful typeface is in FULL HD which isn't like TOTALLY full HD it's not like a PC graphics card MAXING OUT on like OVERCLOCKED but still it's like being in the PRINTING PRESS and holding the LETTER BLOCKS and being all THIS IS ONE HUNDRED PERCENT TOTALLY REAL YO I can FEEL these letters as they scroll up the screen and JESUS H CHRIST some of these letters make WORDS and FUCK this word is MY NAME this film is NAME CHECKING ME.

There's some lovely detail and vibrancy in that post.

P.S. I should really clarify my above post, I really only buy/rent Blu-rays... I'd don't also rent DVDs and, er, not watch the credits on those.

Famous Mortimer

I've abandoned hundreds of films before the end, and definitely don't consider myself a snob (the last film I watched and enjoyed was 80s B-movie classic "Hard Ticket To Hawaii"). I have a rule that if a film hasn't entertained or interested me in the first half hour, off it goes.

I mentioned this recently, but I gave "Dead Snow" up to the halfway point before abandoning it...the only film I ever walked out of the cinema without finishing what I'd paid for was "Robin Hood: Men In Tights"...there was one film whose name escapes me (something to do with pirates, I think) which I took out of the VCR and destroyed.

Glebe

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 26, 2013, 05:03:58 PM...there was one film whose name escapes me (something to do with pirates, I think) which I took out of the VCR and destroyed.

Yellowbeard? The Pirate Movie? Cutthroat Island? I assume you don't mean them Johnny Depp fillums...

Famous Mortimer

It was from before the late 90s, as that's when I watched it, but I've really got no idea. Oh, I also smashed a Troma film to bits...it was a cop parody, and one of them said "Cover me". I said to my mate "if he throws a blanket over that guy, I'm taking this video out and smashing it to bits". They were the only two films I ever destroyed, though.

ZoyzaSorris

Me and the missus have been through a right slew of films but I think there has only been two we have switched off, that fucking edgar wright one with the annoyingly soppy faced kid cunt in it which I could only stand about ten minutes of before wanting to hand back my membership card for the human race, and some shite about an american woman on iplayer films. Sorry I cant be more specific.

Melth

Quote from: clingfilm portent on August 26, 2013, 02:50:10 PM
One that always comes to mind is Me, You and Everyone We Know. I've read that it picks up after a slow start, but the fuckawfully self-aware quirkiness grated on me to such an extent that the DVD player couldn't ejected have that disc of pure loathsomeness any swifter. I think I lasted less than 20 minutes.

My missus was recently assuring me that I have seen that film in its entirety, but I can remember nothing of it. I have, however, seen the first fifteen minutes of Miranda July's follow-up The Future - http://youtu.be/pJcr3_TXrQo.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on August 26, 2013, 05:31:11 PM
Me and the missus have been through a right slew of films but I think there has only been two we have switched off, that fucking edgar wright one with the annoyingly soppy faced kid cunt in it which I could only stand about ten minutes of before wanting to hand back my membership card for the human race,

I entered this thread not only to mention this film, but the same patience limit as you. SAME.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on August 26, 2013, 02:53:06 PM
There seems to be a current trend in movies society where smug, self satisfied arseholes are celebrated.

El Unicornio, mang

I don't think I've ever not watched a film until the end, it's kind of a mild OCD thing and also I'd be worried that it gets great at the end and suddenly makes the rest of the film seem better, have had that happen a few times.

SteveDave

Ruby Sparks. We spent most of the film wondering why they'd cast such an odd looking girl as the main character only to discover that she'd written it & written herself as Ruby. Turned off about an hour & 10 minutes into it. Not gone back.

alan nagsworth

Kung Pow: Enter The Fist

"Oh you like Kung Fu Hustle? You'll love this!"

What a dismal piece of shit that film is. Sat in a room of about five other people who were somewhere on the spectrum between tolerance and full-blown enjoyment, I found myself to be the only one below the tolerance mark. I fucked off and went to bed when the cow fight scene kicked in.

Famous Mortimer

Nags, there's one joke in Kung Pow that I think is just fantastic (I also love joke-dubbed films, so feel free to take my opinion with a pinch of salt).

"This is Wimp Lo. We deliberately trained him wrong - as a joke"

Just thinking about that line makes me smile.

madhair60

I live Kung Pow, it's full of lovely silliness. In my experience people who don't like it are the sort of folk who own Bangkok Dangerous in DVD and are my friend Richard. They can fuck off.

madhair60

I walked out of: W, Burn After Reading, Pirates 3

phes

Fired Up. Someone recommended it it the Films That ARE Worth Watching or Films That Are Okay thread. It's neither.  No jokes, no physical comedians, no charm whatsoever, just a film I had to defend, saying now I know this looks shit, but apparently OH IT'S SHIT

left during (last 5 years):

The A Team
Alice in Wonderland

How could you even make those two films so boring?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: phes on August 27, 2013, 09:35:08 AM
Fired Up. Someone recommended it it the Films That ARE Worth Watching or Films That Are Okay thread. It's neither.  No jokes, no physical comedians, no charm whatsoever, just a film I had to defend, saying now I know this looks shit, but apparently OH IT'S SHIT
That was me, I think. Sorry, and hopefully you didn't spend much / any money on it.

phes

I didn't. But I was punished by losing control of the computer and was then forced to watch the Grand Prix, which was infinitely worse than a shit cheerleading film, though it did have its own shit cheeleaders.

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on August 26, 2013, 05:31:11 PM
Me and the missus have been through a right slew of films but I think there has only been two we have switched off, that fucking edgar wright one with the annoyingly soppy faced kid cunt in it which I could only stand about ten minutes of before wanting to hand back my membership card for the human race, and some shite about an american woman on iplayer films. Sorry I cant be more specific.

It's a divisive film, but Scott Pilgrim probably deserves more than a ten-minute chance. I thought it was totally obnoxious in the beginning, and did in fact put it off after about ten minutes. But I gave it another go, stayed with it this time and found myself laughing on a regular basis. Even though it's full of contrived kooky quirkiness and cultural references, I don't think you're supposed to love the characters and relate to them - they're cartoon characters, too unrealistic to love or hate, and relatable to almost no one. It's really all about the jokes and set pieces, many of which are good.

Tiny Poster

I think you can give Scott Pilgrim a 10 minute chance, but only if those are the 10 minutes with Chris Evans' setpiece.

Bad Ambassador

It was the sight of one of the 50,000 obnoxious wankers we were introduced to in that first 10 minutes wearing a New Order T-shirt that killed it for me. The epitome of hipster wank. And I like New Order.