Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:50:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

(Films you turned off before the end) SNOBBERY

Started by clingfilm portent, August 26, 2013, 02:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

I was about to say some things about Scott Pilgrim, but my thoughts (and those of other CaBbers) from the weekend after it came out are available to read - http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=25081.0

Catalogue Trousers

Quote...there was one film whose name escapes me (something to do with pirates, I think) which I took out of the VCR and destroyed.

It wasn't Pyrates directed by Roman Polanski and starring Walter Matthau, was it, Famous Mortimer? I remember a friend of mine telling me that it was very loosely based on George MacDonald Fraser's The Pyrates, but I couldn't see that at all when I watched it. I suspect that he was wrong.

In any event, I didn't end up destroying the tape, but I can't remember a single clear thing about it. Matthau was probably good, because Matthau is almost always at least good, but otherwise nothing sticks in the mind about it. A pity. With those sorts of talents behind and in front of the cameras, it could, and should, have been so much better.

Famous Mortimer

I believe it was "The Pirate Movie" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084504/. That Walter Matthau film looks halfway decent.

Olarrio

Ted was swiftly jettisoned around the point of the bear shitting on the carpet or whatever the hilariously untoward thing a toy shouldn't do. Seriously jipe. No snob.

It was one of the prostitutes Ted brought around who shat on the floor.

Olarrio

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on August 27, 2013, 02:01:49 PM
It wasn't Pyrates directed by Roman Polanski and starring Walter Matthau, was it, Famous Mortimer? I remember a friend of mine telling me that it was very loosely based on George MacDonald Fraser's The Pyrates, but I couldn't see that at all when I watched it. I suspect that he was wrong.

I don't think it was, for a start it used a less fun "i" after the P in the title, but it looks like there was an obscure TV Movie based on the book.

Pirates wasn't one of Matthau's finest moments to be honest; Roger Ebert suggested he seemed more interested in being a good sport than a good pirate, and I suspect he wasn't far wrong.

olliebean

Well I frequently start watching random stuff on Netflix or that I've recorded from the telly thinking it might be good and then get bored and turn it off (most recently a terrible film called It's a Boy Girl Thing), but I think the only film I've ever gone to any actual effort to watch and then bailed out on before the end was a god-awful piece of shit called Dandy Dust that I saw at the NFT because a friend had somehow got free tickets for it. To be fair though, I probably would have stayed to the end if my friend hadn't woken me up on his way out.

Miasma

I've fallen asleep during a fair few films and opted not to bother finishing them off later, which is more of a passive version.

I did have to turn off Moulin Rouge pretty sharpish though... it was like having someone shouting in your face whilst simultaneously trying to fuck you up the bum.

Sebastian Cobb

We ejected and snapped the free-with-the-newspaper copy of Children of the Corn, just in case someone else considered watching it.

DukeDeMondo

Generally I don't like to turn films off before the end, if for no other reason than I don't think I have the right to rant and rave about how shit they are if I haven't seen them through to their conclusions, but recently I had no option but to turn off the second Planet of the Apes film of this current trilogy. I'm sure it's very good and I'm sure the many fans are correct, and I did enjoy the first one with James Franco in, but it quickly became apparent that the second number simply wasn't for me. I really wasn't getting on with it at all. And it lasts forever. So I turned it off.

Sorry, the apes.

zomgmouse

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on September 11, 2017, 07:29:36 PM
Generally I don't like to turn films off before the end, if for no other reason than I don't think I have the right to rant and rave about how shit they are if I haven't seen them through to their conclusions, but recently I had no option but to turn off the second Planet of the Apes film of this current trilogy. I'm sure it's very good and I'm sure the many fans are correct, and I did enjoy the first one with James Franco in, but it quickly became apparent that the second number simply wasn't for me. I really wasn't getting on with it at all. And it lasts forever. So I turned it off.

Sorry, the apes.

But if you didn't watch the film to the end how would you ever know in case there was an ape's willy on the planet

Jack Shaftoe

I've watched every single Harry Potter film except the last fifteen minutes of the final one when I suddenly couldn't be arsed any more. Maybe the end is amazing, makes the whole slog worthwhile, I'll never know.

Dr Rock

I recently watched Robert Altman's California Split on the basis of it being praised in the 'what non-new films have you seen' thread. Halfway through and I was not engaged, so I was advised if I wasn't digging it by that point I may as well give up, so I have.

SteveDave

The Love Witch or the Sex Witch. Whatever it was called. I made it through about 15 minutes and had end it. Awful in every way.

Also Diana but I was asked to leave the room for that as I was laughing too much.

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: SteveDave on September 12, 2017, 10:57:26 AM
The Love Witch or the Sex Witch. Whatever it was called. I made it through about 15 minutes and had end it. Awful in every way.
Made it about that far in too, then I paused and saw it was 2 hours long. There's no way that film, considering the kind of things it's copying and all, can justify that length imo.

I bail on tons of documentaries, I'm fine with your standard vapid netflix doc but sometimes they're just so superficial that it angers me, like, the idea that people think they're being informed by this thing or that the maker of it either didn't know there was more to whatever topic or was expecting so little from their audience that they've stripped it down.

checkoutgirl

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Walked out of the cinema because I got a phone call. Tried to watch it on a download the other day and got about 98% of the way through before getting bored. It just wouldn't finish and the mawkish approach to the death of a certain character was wearing thin. It's not a bad film but I just couldn't be bothered watching the last few minutes of it.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: checkoutgirl on September 12, 2017, 11:46:18 AM
Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Walked out of the cinema because I got a phone call. Tried to watch it on a download the other day and got about 98% of the way through before getting bored. It just wouldn't finish and the mawkish approach to the death of a certain character was wearing thin. It's not a bad film but I just couldn't be bothered watching the last few minutes of it.

I hated Guardians 2.  HATED it.  I made it to the end (and saw all the stingers), but I seemed to have been watching a different film from everyone else.  And I love the first one.

Anyway

I've never walked out of, or turned off a film, for much the same reason as Duke.  I have, however, come VERY close to walking out on three occasions - Roland Emmerich's Godzilla (baby 'zillas in the lift), Armageddon (can't remember which point), and Oliver Stone's Savages (from about 5 to 10 minutes in for every subsequent minute of the fucking film).

I'm quite happy to drop a TV series if it hasn't grabbed me by the third episode, but I don't feel the same way about doing that to a film.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: zomgmouse on September 12, 2017, 03:12:16 AM
But if you didn't watch the film to the end how would you ever know in case there was an ape's willy on the planet

That is very true, and it is something that has played on my mind. Perhaps someone can confirm if there is or there isn't an ape's willy on the planet? It's never too late to go back.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on September 12, 2017, 01:56:24 PM
That is very true, and it is something that has played on my mind. Perhaps someone can confirm if there is or there isn't an ape's willy on the planet? It's never too late to go back.

Bums, willies, fannies, all of it.  All over the shop.

No boobs, though.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 12, 2017, 02:57:07 PM
Bums, willies, fannies, all of it.  All over the shop.

No boobs, though.

Well that's all I need to know. It's back to the Planet of the Apes for me.

QDRPHNC

Little Miss Sunshine (insulting indie-by-numbers pap) and the new Mad Max (general shit for cunts).

colacentral

Slumdog Millionaire would have been better had it been set on the UK version with Chris Tarrant playing himself as the evil host scheming to foil the successful contestant from the poor background, probably played by Danny Dyer. Eastend Millionaire.

newbridge

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on August 26, 2013, 05:31:11 PM
Me and the missus have been through a right slew of films but I think there has only been two we have switched off, that fucking edgar wright one with the annoyingly soppy faced kid cunt in it which I could only stand about ten minutes of before wanting to hand back my membership card for the human race, and some shite about an american woman on iplayer films. Sorry I cant be more specific.

I haven't seen Scott Pilgrim and I'm not sure I'd like it, but I have to chime in to say that Michael Cera is pretty cool actually.

SteveDave

I saw a couple walk out of "March Of The Penguins" in the cinema. I often wonder what they thought it'd be.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: SteveDave on September 13, 2017, 10:32:36 AM
I saw a couple walk out of "March Of The Penguins" in the cinema. I often wonder what they thought it'd be.

Happy Feet?

shiftwork2

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 12, 2017, 03:19:50 PM
Little Miss Sunshine (insulting indie-by-numbers pap)

Blimey, never heard of anyone actively disliking this.  It's entertaining enough.

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: SteveDave on September 13, 2017, 10:32:36 AM
If it's anything like me, they just realised they can no longer stand Morgan Freeman.

Quote from: shiftwork2 on September 13, 2017, 12:07:57 PM
Blimey, never heard of anyone actively disliking this.  It's entertaining enough.
It's an awful lot easier to dislike now than it was a decade ago. Definitely was a unique film or anything at the time but it absolutely opened the floodgates for a mountainload of similar shit.

JesusAndYourBush

Watching Transformers 2 (or whatever it's called) on TV.  Considering they have the intelligence to build a spaceship to enable them to travel the vast distances of space to get to Earth, they spent the first 20 minutes dicking around like the Three Stooges in those scenes where they slap each other around, poke each other in the eye etc.  I'd seen the first one but this was a lot more annoying and I had to quit after about 20 minutes.