Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:35:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

(Films you turned off before the end) SNOBBERY

Started by clingfilm portent, August 26, 2013, 02:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: shiftwork2 on September 13, 2017, 12:07:57 PM
Blimey, never heard of anyone actively disliking this.  It's entertaining enough.

I'm afraid I can't stand it either.

The family each with their one quirk.

Keebleman

In 40 years of movie-going I have yet to walk out of a cinema mid-film.  When I finally do it will be an awesome statement that will probably cause the director to publicly suicide in shame.  I am pretty diligent watching a movie at home too, but I have very low tolerance for comedies I don't find funny.  Bend it Like Beckham and My Big Fat Greek Wedding were both shut off before twenty minutes had passed.

Non-comedies that had the same treatment include the Star Trek reboot and Edward Yang's A One and a Two, though I would be willing to give the latter another chance one day.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on September 13, 2017, 03:53:41 PM
I'm afraid I can't stand it either.

The family each with their one quirk.

What pissed me off about it too was the praise Steve Carrell got for his "serious turn". He just acted sad and talked slow. Like people raving about Peter Dinklage in The Station Agent, he hardly did anything but everyone wanted to be seen to understanding the "depth" of his performance.

Konki

I've only ever walked out of one film at the cinema, Rush Hour, not because of the film but because me and the bird I was with couldn't focus properly on getting off with each other in the back row because we were absolutely steaming pissed. The film could've been anything, we just needed a venue. It looks like it's probably shit, mind.

newbridge

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 13, 2017, 05:15:12 PM
What pissed me off about it too was the praise Steve Carrell got for his "serious turn". He just acted sad and talked slow. Like people raving about Peter Dinklage in The Station Agent, he hardly did anything but everyone wanted to be seen to understanding the "depth" of his performance.

Nonsense, Peter Dinklage is great in that film. I mourn that his career will now forever be defined by fucking Game of Thrones.

newbridge

This is somewhat shameful to admit, but I recently turned off Mike Leigh's Naked in the middle. Perhaps it's a testament to David Thewlis's acting, but his character was annoying me far too much to give a fuck or want to devote another hour plus of my life to watching it. And then there's some comically over-the-top American Psycho guy? 

I almost never turn off films in the middle, am otherwise a big fan of Mike Leigh, and am aware that this is probably his most critically acclaimed film. And yet, turned it off. Weird, innit?

Steven

Quote from: newbridge on September 14, 2017, 12:02:06 AM
This is somewhat shameful to admit, but I recently turned off Mike Leigh's Naked in the middle. Perhaps it's a testament to David Thewlis's acting, but his character was annoying me far too much to give a fuck or want to devote another hour plus of my life to watching it.

Too soon. There's a reason they build up Johnny's misanthropic cuntishness so much throughout the main narrative of the film, if only to eventually strip him bare and display how fragile and hopeless he actually feels. The misogyny is also put into sharp relief as ultimately his life is controlled by his feelings towards women, by the end you see what kind of abuses and shite he's suffered through and puts his supercilious nasty streak in some manner of context.

BlodwynPig

Just turned off Atomic Blonde about 5 minutes in when James McAvoy beats down two German cops.

Some notable actors in there too doing cliched things.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: newbridge on September 13, 2017, 11:54:29 PM
Nonsense, Peter Dinklage is great in that film. I mourn that his career will now forever be defined by fucking Game of Thrones.

He was completely fine in it.

zomgmouse

Reasons I always finish a film, or book for that matter:
- it might get better towards the end or be a slow burn that builds up to something amazing, and I don't want to miss that/look like an idiot for missing it
- I don't feel I have the right to judge something if I've not seen all of it
- a very baseline level of respect for someone who's made something even if it's shite

Reasons I probably shouldn't do this:
- life's too bloody short

hewantstolurkatad

Turned off Blue Jay last night, but it was because I saw Mark Duplass and 80 minutes, made the assumption it was something totally different to what it was. Will probably return to it.

Only films I've walked out of in cinema were:
The American Friend: It was part of a double bill with Kings of the Road, which was what brought me there; I had seen it before and didn't think much of it
Ted: Needed to fill 90 minutes waiting for my lift to arrive, it was £4 and I want somewhere to sit uninterrupted. My lift arrived early so I left during the wedding scene (was there a wedding?)

colacentral

I turned off City of God after 15 minutes. Horrible narration over the top and gimmicky camera work that looked awful. Just really, really shite. Couldn't take anymore.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: zomgmouse on September 14, 2017, 01:25:36 AM
- it might get better towards the end or be a slow burn that builds up to something amazing, and I don't want to miss that/look like an idiot for missing it
- a very baseline level of respect for someone who's made something even if it's shite

I rarely sack off books as well, but if something's not grabbing me I have a nasty habit of just slowing to a snail's pace and taking months, which prevents me from reading something that might be more rewarding.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: zomgmouse on September 14, 2017, 01:25:36 AM

I second all of this

Pseudopath

Quote from: Mr Banlon on September 16, 2017, 03:42:55 PM
Apocalypse Now

Yep...I've still never made it past 40 minutes of this. Absolute dross.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 16, 2017, 03:37:26 PM
I rarely sack off books as well, but if something's not grabbing me I have a nasty habit of just slowing to a snail's pace and taking months, which prevents me from reading something that might be more rewarding.

I used to be the same and in some ways it spoilt reading for me, so now if I find myself taking more than a few weeks to read something which I'm not enjoying I'll ditch it. I tend to see films all the way through to the end though, as it's only a couple of hours of my life.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 16, 2017, 05:13:58 PM
I used to be the same and in some ways it spoilt reading for me, so now if I find myself taking more than a few weeks to read something which I'm not enjoying I'll ditch it. I tend to see films all the way through to the end though, as it's only a couple of hours of my life.

Yeah I'm the same with films. If I drift off or abandon it because I'm nodding I'll always rewatch.

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: Mr Brightside on September 16, 2017, 05:18:24 PM
Werckmeister Harmonies
I've conned a couple of people into watching it off the strength of the opening scene

Every single one of them bailed on it...

Serge

Quote from: Mr Brightside on September 16, 2017, 05:18:24 PM
Werckmeister Harmonies

Heh, one of my favourite films.

Films I have given up on: Harold And Maude, The Terminator, Backbeat, Paddington Bear. This isn't an exhaustive list, by the way, just the ones I can remember off the top of my head. These were all on DVD/video/TV, so far I've never walked out of a cinema mid-film, but there are plenty I wish I had.

mrfridge

Tuned off La La Land after about 2 minutes when some cunts in cars started singing. I didn't know it was one of 'those' films so it was my own fault really.

Bazooka

Quote from: mrfridge on September 18, 2017, 02:25:04 PM
Tuned off La La Land after about 2 minutes when some cunts in cars started singing. I didn't know it was one of 'those' films so it was my own fault really.

That opening scene with the car is probably the most in your face musical bit of the whole film, it is much tamer after that, still didn't like it though.

dallasman

When it comes to the cinema, I'm not a risk taker, so I very rarely find myself disappointed enough to walk out. The one time I can remember doing it was "Blair Witch II: Book Of Shadows", which was also the only time I've been drunk at a movie. Watching at home, there's too many to count. I think I would've switched off "Baby Driver" if it weren't for the famously fab soundtrack. Finally, a movie you can watch with the sound up and the picture off. Did not like Scott Pilgrim, either, and am still confused as to what's supposed to be so great about it. It's probably just not for me. "Baby Driver" struck me as a kind of Tarantino for millennials, or something. As a music fan, I generally hate it when movie characters bond over artists that people like them wouldn't have heard about in real life. Not because they tend to be "my" artists, but because it's contrived and lame, and just heightens the sense of geekboy wish-fulfilment.

DukeDeMondo

Thanks to a post by Dr Syntax Head in the Film's You've Seen thread, I've just remembered another one I turned off before the end. Guardians of the Galaxy. I enjoyed the first half hour or so, I think, but it quickly took a dive, and by the time they were all fucking about in the prison I was bored out of my balls. I persevered for a while but turned it off with about 35 minutes to go and have no intention of going back to it.

So that's two. The Apes and the Guardians. Both within the last six months. Maybe it's going to become a regular thing for me, now, this turning stuff off malarkey.