Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:49:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

TheBox.bz closing on 1st September

Started by weekender, August 28, 2013, 05:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alcoholic messiah

From a post on the forum by one of the admins:

Quoteoh.. btw.. this is the WHY im getting out.. of the game..

http://torrentfreak.com/uk-government-announces-new-intellectual-property-crime-unit-130628/

sirhenry

Apparently this is why they're closing down, according to the admin: http://torrentfreak.com/uk-government-announces-new-intellectual-property-crime-unit-130628/

£2.5 million of our money...

QuoteLeppard said the new unit would not only safeguard jobs, but would also ensure citizens' "computer safety" by ensuring they were not exposed to unauthorized copyrighted content.

edit: pipped to the post

weekender

QuoteThese industries are worth more than £36 billion a year and employ more than 1.5 million people," Lord Younger said.

I'm not entirely sure that a taskforce costing £2.5 million (what's that, like, three civil servants?) will actually do anything, personally. 

There's more to this.  SKY.

katzenjammer

Balls!  Looks like some of the alternatives mentioned on the box forum need invites to register.  If anyone has any going spare I'd be very grateful for one.

olliebean

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Sky had something to do with it, given that practically all the new stuff on there that isn't legally available for free in this country (if not on broadcast, then on iPlayer/4OD/whatever) is stuff from Sky. Most of which unfortunately doesn't seem to be available elsewhere.

weekender

This really now becomes a question of where the 'crowd' moves to.

Uncle TechTip

thebox took away my invites a month or two back and there's stuff on the forum about a userlimit being reached, maybe they knew something was afoot or maybe it was full, either way there might not be any invites to hand around even for this 3-day free-for-all. Any other users still got invites?

El Unicornio, mang

Hmm, I appear to have had my account disabled. FUCK THEBOX IM GLAD THEIR CLOSING!!1

chocky909

Please don't forget me when it's PM and invite time. Also, if anyone wants to shout out cool stuff to download that might otherwise be difficult to get hold of then that'd be awesome too because I've got about 200gb of upload credit, a 30mb broadband connection, a 2 TB hard drive and 3 days to use them.

Oh yeah... what's happening with UK Nova these days? I got kicked off a couple of years ago for not logging in enough despite seeding and having a great big positive ratio and never bothered to get an invite seeing as TK Maxx did what I wanted most of the time.

Old Thrashbarg

Ah, what shit news. I've never been a particularly heavy user, but they have so much stuff that I've just not been able to find anywhere else. The Baker and Kelly BT Sports show being the most recent example. (Does anyone have any idea of anywhere else that that's available online by the way? It's a pain in the arse living in the one area of the country with no access to BT sometimes.) And it was always great for Radio 4 comedies too. I am surprised that it lasted so long after allowing commercially available material though, that seemed like a strange decision at the time with so many other places offering that content.

pk1yen

This is shit news.

Just as I perfected my use of RSS feeds to upload all the soaps and keep my ratio up, too!

Looking through the site now for stuff to download, it's horrible to see just how much stuff will be lost. There's tonnes and tonnes of great stuff on there that just won't really be available once it goes. (Just found myself a 2-hour Radio 4 drama about Charles Babbage, and the Culture Show episode with Alan Moore about Austin Spare.)

If anyone knows of any other sites to migrate to (or has any invites) I promise to seed!

I liked the internet a lot better before the government found out about it.

pigamus

Ah pissflaps. I, like everybody else, find it hard to understand why they allowed so much commercially-available stuff. I found myself downloading a Stewart Lee DVD once. Why? I knew I'd feel guilty about it, and so I did. Madness.

I would also be very grateful for a PM about alternatives and the like. If it's not too much trouble. Don't want to take the piss.

George Oscar Bluth II

QuoteLeppard said the new unit would not only safeguard jobs, but would also ensure citizens' "computer safety" by ensuring they were not exposed to unauthorized copyrighted content.

I for one am glad I will no longer be exposed to unauthorized copyrighted content.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: weekender on August 28, 2013, 06:49:20 PM
I'm trying to locate Milligan's Q series but can only come up with disparate links for some of them apart from Q7 and Q8, I presume this may relate to the existence of the episodes themselves?

I've got Q6, and would be happy to send you the files on a dvd (or as a playable one) if you'd like.

Quote from: chocky909 on August 29, 2013, 12:13:38 AM
Oh yeah... what's happening with UK Nova these days? I got kicked off a couple of years ago for not logging in enough despite seeding and having a great big positive ratio and never bothered to get an invite seeing as TK Maxx did what I wanted most of the time.

Long dead I'm afraid.

Quote from: weekender on August 28, 2013, 06:57:44 PM
UKNova effectively closed down because of a copyright infringement notice from Sky Sports, I think.

I have seen quite a few UK shows turning up on eztv of late, so it'll be interesting to see if they increase the amount they link to. But on the archive side of things, with Demonoid no longer existing it's really shite news.

sirhenry

Selecting Comedy and searching 'surreal' produced a goldmine (albeit predictable after the fact).

Let's see what doing the same for Radio will bring up...

PaulTMA

Ah bum, always wanted to try this. :(

prwc

This (ridiculously named) site seems to be an attempt at a replacement. Time will tell how good a job it does. I've signed up, can't hurt to have a look.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: prwc on August 29, 2013, 01:51:24 AM
This (ridiculously named) site seems to be an attempt at a replacement. Time will tell how good a job it does. I've signed up, can't hurt to have a look.

Thanks for that. It appears it's been running since 2010, but I can't say I'd heard of it before. Hopefully over time a lot of content from thebox will make it's way over as well.

Alberon

That was the one I mentioned in my previous post. If a lot of users migrate from the Box it could be quite good. There is a thread on the Box forum called 'So the big question is where next?' which is listing some alternatives. Someone mentioned a site called UKNova2 (and apparently got his account there locked for doing so).

Junglist

There's one top drawer replacement, although it doesn't have the more obscure stuff it does have a fair chunk of UK content. Quite hard to get in, though.

Jake Thingray

Genuinely depressing, had only recently promised one chum I'd get him every existing episode of Out Of The Unknown.

Uncle TechTip

Heh it's all gone a bit crazy, I was apt at leaving stuff seeding so there were 150 in the list, but never more than 3 or 4 actually uploading at one time. Now I have 12 items all seeding away and putting huge load on my box. Including nine months worth of a certain Scouse soap.

katzenjammer

QuoteYour download rights have been removed by the system because you exceeded the maximum download you had available. You can now only seed the torrents you have completed fully.

Cocksuckers.  What's the point?  They'll be closed in two days.  Now I'll never get to watch How Clean is Your House season 4.

Alberon

Some people are asking to have that removed for the last couple of days. Nothing from the site owners yet though.

madhair60

Yeah, thebox were hilariously precious about ratio. Honour among thieves and that.

Decent site. No BakaBT, mind.

Utter Shit

I'm going to have to wait a wee while (basically a few days after it closes down) but hopefully if things work out as they are planned, there will be a very similar site popping up very quickly and I'll be able to let you lot know about it.

Gradual Decline

Ooh![nb]That's genuine excitement[/nb]

Utter Shit

Ah bollocks ignore what I said above, I thought I would be able to give you all some top-secret info but it seems like it's actually useless - basically there is an 'exclusive' version of TheBox popping back up immediately, but it's limited to certain members (not entirely sure what the criteria are that allowed me in, but I assume it's either because of my high totals for uploads and downloads, or - more likely - because I've donated) and just transports all your data across from TheBox, so if you haven't already been told about it, I'm not sure you will be able to get in anyway.

Gradual Decline

Famous Mortimer

Yeah, they really ought to remove the ratio warnings and suchlike for the last few days - they must know that people are going to be hammering it like crazy to get everything they always kinda wanted.