Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:55:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

TheBox.bz closing on 1st September

Started by weekender, August 28, 2013, 05:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

I just fell below the level myself...come on, you guys!

weekender

What was the level?  I though I was doing alright with slightly short of 300GB, but I've just realised that my ratio on a wrestling torrent site has an upload of 1.11TB, so I think it's probably clear where my priorities have lain.

Famous Mortimer

I've struggled for 6 years to get my ratio above 1, and have barely ever managed it.

Fingers crossed they do it, but my limited experience of interacting with the people who run the site doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Uncle TechTip

Somewhat moot now but if your torrent site offers free downloads, set up rss to auto grab them then seed the fuck out of them.

Tried logging in yesterday as it happens, and found that I didn't happen an account anymore.  Ah well.

Did they manage to get torrents of the rest of the Alternative Comedy Experience series at all, does anyone know?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: daz on August 29, 2013, 06:01:58 PM
Tried logging in yesterday as it happens, and found that I didn't happen an account anymore.  Ah well.

Did they manage to get torrents of the rest of the Alternative Comedy Experience series at all, does anyone know?

I'm afraid not, or it wasn't up there when I checked last weekend at least. It is due to be released on dvd in November (http://www.comedycentral.co.uk/news/125766-stewart-lee-alternative-comedy-experience-series-2-second-season-2014-series-1-dvd/) so hopefully it will pop up somewhere then.

chocky909

It seems a ratio of 1.6 with over 430gb uploaded isn't worthy of this new site.

olliebean

I've kept my ratio above 2.05, which is the threshold for Extreme User, but I've heard nothing. I presume the invites to the new site are only going to the levels above that.

Famous Mortimer

Looks like it's a donor-only thing.

Anyone fancy lending me their account for a day or two, on the promise that as soon as invites are going for any potential new sites they'll get the first one?

katzenjammer

It's all a bit cliquey and elitist.  Instead of just letting everyone, including cappers and the people with the best bandwidth, ratios and so on naturally migrate to another site which would soon be as comprehensive as the box they have decided to cherry-pick and to hell with everyone else.  Makes a nonsense of the whole 'this site has always been about the community' guff.

madhair60

Well, yeah. Thebox was always about dick-swinging, which I always thought was quite rich for a bunch of thieves.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 29, 2013, 06:06:23 PM
It is due to be released on dvd in November (http://www.comedycentral.co.uk/news/125766-stewart-lee-alternative-comedy-experience-series-2-second-season-2014-series-1-dvd/) so hopefully it will pop up somewhere then.

Ah, grand, I didn't know about the DVD.  I'll be grabbing that instead then, cheers!

weekender

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 30, 2013, 07:30:57 AMAnyone fancy lending me their account for a day or two, on the promise that as soon as invites are going for any potential new sites they'll get the first one?

Yeah, why not?  Seems like it'll be no use to me any more, so what the hell.

If you're still interested, let me know here and I'll drop you a PM with the details.  I can't remember what the password is and I'll probably want to change it anyway to ensure it's something that I definitely haven't used for any other passwords, so you might have to wait until this evening when I get home (be about 5-6pm).

Famous Mortimer

Nice one weekender, that's decent of you. That poor unused few hundred gig of my hard drive thanks you as well.

Dear thebox admins, if you're reading this, sorry, and don't ban me for a day or two

weekender

PM sent, let me know if you have any issues[nb]About The Box I mean, don't contact me if you want psychoanalysis or anything, I'm probably not the best person.  There's a forum of mentally ill unemployed men over to the left who would be far better at that sort of thing.[/nb].

Quote from: Utter Shit on August 29, 2013, 03:52:54 PMthere is an 'exclusive' version of TheBox popping back up immediately, but it's limited to certain members (not entirely sure what the criteria are that allowed me in, but I assume it's either because of my high totals for uploads and downloads, or - more likely - because I've donated) and just transports all your data across from TheBox, so if you haven't already been told about it, I'm not sure you will be able to get in anyway.

I also got this invite, but I've never donated. Ratio: 1.001   UL: 750 GB. Class: Power User. Join date mid-2007.

weekender

Not ratio related then, mine was better than that (until the last day or so).  Class also the same, which leads me to the conclusion that it might be related to total GB upload or donor credit.

I don't know if this a shame or not for me - I started off with an intent to get hold of the Doctor Who recons, which ripped the shit out of my ratio, then I got my ratio back up over a 2 year period which involved me seeding lots of things I wasn't interested in for the benefit of other users.  Since that point I've used it to grab things like the Countdown final, which I could probably just watch on catch-up TV.

I know I should probably watch valuable archive TV, but the reality is that I don't.

I had a ratio (up until yesterday) of 2.2 with 480GB uploaded. No invite for me either.
Hopefully it will be 500GB which I should achieve this evening.

Edit: Balls! Just passed 500GB  and no invite.

Toad in the Hole

I don't know what it was, but the qualifying factor was none of these things as I barely meet any of them and still got an invite. Have you all checked your mail on thebox?

NoSleep

Did you contribute money to them at any time? That may be more to the point than a good ratio. Not sure about The Box but that would gain you privilege on many torrent sites.

Toad in the Hole

Nope, not handed over any cash either. The mystery continues...

leechy question: if I start about ten large simultaneous torrent downloads on the box, my account will quickly be disabled and knocked off the tracker, but will I still be connected to the seeders and thus be able to successfully complete each torrent dispite being disabled?

Famous Mortimer

Amazingly, both mine and weekender's accounts have been disabled, on the last day of the site's service, by someone at thebox. Congrats, you thieves of copyrighted content, for being bell-ends right to the very end.

mook

Uncle TechTip

To be fair, it's you doing the thieving. Yes they could be nicer on the last day though.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on August 31, 2013, 08:57:42 AM
To be fair, it's you doing the thieving. Yes they could be nicer on the last day though.
Sorry, thief-enablers :(

Flouncer

What a bunch of wankers. It was obviously not going to change towards the end; the people in charge are the most officious jobsworths I've ever encountered. Reasonable people might have just let people download what they wanted to ensure that as many people as possible had copies of the material, purely to try and preserve it... Not the twats at TheBox. I used to like reading the 'sin bin' section of the forums, where the admins would put posts where anyone questioned their gestapo-style moderation, or made minor mistakes when interpeting the labyrinthine rules - it was fucking laughable how pathetic they were. Someone mentioned 'dick swinging', that pretty much nails it.

The only pleasure I get out of this is imagining the looks on the faces of all the wankers who were crowing when UKNova shut down. What a bunch of childish tossers - the atmosphere on UKNova was so much better! It made the malodourous cunts on TheBox look even worse. I hope they all lose control of their bowels simultaneously and drown in their own feces.

Alberon

Since the site isn't closing, but just getting rid of the majority of its users, the lack of freeleech makes sense. I can understand it wanting to keep a lower profile, but it does piss me off the way they're treating most of their users.

If anyone gets into the new site, though, let us know how it gets on[nb]And offer us invites in the unlikely event they ever become available[/nb].

zomgmouse

Fuckmongering poopsicles! There's so much I didn't get to waterfall out. Bastard prongs! And now it turns out their "closing" is just a front for being even more possessive and petulant. Christ's ballsack, that makes me angry.

I agree with biggytitbo about creating some sort of CaB resource pool. Maybe it's not best to be discussing it so much on the forum, but I definitely think it's a worthwhile endeavour.

Alberon

Someone told me on The Box that the new private site is http://www.zxcv.fm/login.php

Right after that his post was deleted, and the PM he sent me vanished and his posting rights removed. The person I was talking to claims he has a friend who got an invite and is in there.