Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:05:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fuck, Franco!

Started by Urinal Cake, August 30, 2013, 02:03:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urinal Cake

QuoteJames Franco is directing and starring in a new film based on the book The Sound and the Fury and RadarOnline.com has exclusively obtained a casting call that was recently sent out looking for a woman to play the lead — but offered low pay stating that working with James "in itself can be considered great currency."
http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2013/08/james-franco-casting-call-offers-low-pay-the-sound-and-the-fury/

Oh God. He really thinks he has the talent to do justice to Faulkner? Also rich people are greedy etc.

BritishHobo

Thought you were going to say he'd died.

Noodle Lizard

He's also adapted 'Ham On Rye'.  With him playing Bukowski[nb]sorry, sorry, "Chinaski"[/nb], of course. 

Because, let's face it, who would be better?

Moribunderast

He's also, also adapted Cormac McCarthy's "Child of God". Franco wrote the screenplay, directs and stars, of course. I preferred it when I just knew him as that guy from Freaks & Geeks.

Noodle Lizard

Has he written or directed anything before?  Like anything that came out?  He's got this, 'Ham on Rye', 'Child of God' and of course his adaptation of his own stories about his own life growing up on the mean streets of Palo Alto, California coming up, but what's he done to prove that he's even remotely capable?

I mean, he'll have people doing it all for him save for the occasional press photo of him stroking his chin and smiling with a DP behind the camera, but still.  Try it once and see if it works out rather than just assuming you can do it and should therefore be doing four all within the space of a few years, ya fucking megalomaniac.

EDIT: Turns out he's not actually directing the adaptation of his own stories (the one thing he may as well be directing).  Point still stands.

Urinal Cake

'Ham on Rye' is pretty straight forward from what I remember. Haven't read McCarthy. But 'The Sound and the Fury' has four authors narrating in-stream-of-consciousness in different time periods talking about/reminiscing about the same events. I can't really imagine Franco- hell most directors doing it justice.

Also this teaser  for 'Child of God' does make it seem like it's straight to video fodder[nb]awful font[/nb] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJHRQs_VtcE

billtheburger

The worst thing this knob has done is make me believe that people are finally going into discourse about Jess Franco.

Famous Mortimer

If James Franco remade "Virgin Among The Living Dead", that would be the greatest thing ever.

billtheburger

Typically, you've chose one of his films I haven't seen and it's even got a directing credit with Jean Rollin.

If this new Franco had some balls, he should take on the challenge you've laid down for him, though.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: billtheburger on August 30, 2013, 09:55:45 AM
Typically, you've chose one of his films I haven't seen and it's even got a directing credit with Jean Rollin.

If this new Franco had some balls, he should take on the challenge you've laid down for him, though.
The co-directing credit is, I think, due to them having some horrific cuts made to the film and it not being long enough to release, so Jean Rollin was asked while filming "Zombie Lake" several years later to shoot some footage starring a woman who sort of looked a bit like the star of the older film. She ran through the woods away from some zombies, insert dream sequence to earlier film, job done.

The editing makes it a truly bizarre experience, I'd definitely recommend it.

Garam

Maybe they'll be good!

Don't get the hate. He's good in several movies. So he's ubiquitous? Well, you shouldn't read so many fucking celebrity gossip websites then. Problem solved.

Nmkl Pkjl Ftmsch

Fans of Jesus Franco (of which there are quite a few) leave the thread, disappointed.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Garam on August 30, 2013, 04:22:47 PM
Maybe they'll be good!

Don't get the hate. He's good in several movies. So he's ubiquitous? Well, you shouldn't read so many fucking celebrity gossip websites then. Problem solved.

I read absolutely no celebrity gossip websites.  In fact, the only entertainment website I ever read is AV Club when the Tweeted headline catches my attention[nb]and threads on CaB and the articles therein, I suppose[/nb].  And yet I still can't escape James Franco.

non capisco

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 30, 2013, 05:27:09 AM
He's also adapted 'Ham On Rye'.  With him playing Bukowski[nb]sorry, sorry, "Chinaski"[/nb], of course. 

Because, let's face it, who would be better?

Hmmm...nah. He's both too old for the 'Ham and Rye' Chinaski and too handsome, although presumably the makeup team are going to add the disfiguring teenage boils that are the root of all that comes after. Having said that, Matt Dillon's hardly the Elephant Man and I remember quite liking the adaptation of 'Factotum' he was in and thinking he made a fairly decent Chinaski. What's 'Barfly' with Mickey Rourke like? Still not seen that despite finding Bukowski's book 'Hollywood' about its gestation period thoroughly entertaining.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: non capisco on August 30, 2013, 08:05:31 PM
Hmmm...nah. He's both too old for the 'Ham and Rye' Chinaski and too handsome, although presumably the makeup team are going to add the disfiguring teenage boils that are the root of all that comes after. Having said that, Matt Dillon's hardly the Elephant Man and I remember quite liking the adaptation of 'Factotum' he was in and thinking he made a fairly decent Chinaski. What's 'Barfly' with Mickey Rourke like? Still not seen that despite finding Bukowski's book 'Hollywood' about its gestation period thoroughly entertaining.

I was being sarcastic, Franco's the last person I'd choose to play a Bukowski character.

'Barfly' is pretty good - probably benefited from Bukowski writing the screenplay himself.  It's not a great, great movie but it's certainly watchable.  Mickey Rourke did a good job of Bukowskiing and Faye Dunaway's not bad either.

non capisco

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 30, 2013, 09:08:15 PM
I was being sarcastic, Franco's the last person I'd choose to play a Bukowski character.

Oh I know, my 'nah' was directed to the notion of Franco as Chinaski (especially the age he is in 'Ham On Rye') rather than the last line of your post. If he's going to tackle it he needs to set his vanity aside and get an actor in their late teens to take the lead role. It would be fucking ridiculous if 35 year old James Franco plays what is effectively the teenage Charles Bukowski.

Most of the internet references to this I can see are about three years old and there's nothing on his imdb page about it though. Maybe he saw sense. It's one of my favourite novels and I think in the right hands a pretty good adaptation could be made of it.

Urinal Cake

Oh Jesus he's done, 'As I lay dying'. With him as Darl when Jewel (obvious) or Cash (even better- hardly talks) would be a better fit. Trailer looks bad[nb]kid looks to be the best actor[/nb]- I guess the awful font might be to do with not paying royalties or whatever. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO68Kd2yQsE