Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:40:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stanshall thing on BBC2 NOW

Started by Neil, July 30, 2004, 11:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Shit, was dicking around trying to encode Saturday Night Fry again and Viv came bellowing out of the speakers while I was fiddling with the tuner.

I could *definitely* have encoded this, knickers.

Neil

Well that was magic, I'm so glad I bumped into it, shame I didn't know earlier as I could have encoded it.  I sat with a great big grin plastered over my face through the whole Bonzos section.  Stephen Fry was excellent at the end, rubbishing the view that Stanshall and Cook haedn't "fulfilled their promise" and describing such a view as a mimsy school report style way of looking at it.   What an enjoyable show, great to see all that footage.  Anyone else catch it?

Duffy

Bollocks!! Rolled in from the pub and caught the last 5 minutes. Why do I never check the TV listings before going out? I've always wanted to know more about Stanshall too, so this would have been an ideal introduction.

Any Viv devotees out there recommend a good starting point for a newbie?

A Passing Turk Slipper

I haven't watched it yet but I taped it so am looking forward to it. If it has been taped fine then I can send you or someone else the tape if you like Neil, to encode it from that if that's possible.

Neil

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"I haven't watched it yet but I taped it so am looking forward to it. If it has been taped fine then I can send you or someone else the tape if you like Neil, to encode it from that if that's possible.

Ooh yes, that could certainly be worth doing if there's no other copies on the net, it'd be a nice thing to have knocking round in digital format, and I'd like a capture of it myself anyway.

What Viv stuff have you checked out Duffy?  You should certainly start working through the Bonzos albums if you haven't heard much of those, and as for solo Stanshall get yer mitts on the Sir Henry At Rawlinsons End stuff and the album "Men Opening Umbrellas Ahead."  Now that I've finished working through the first 18 episodes of Radioactive I think I'll spend the next week or two mooching about while listening to all the Stanshall and Bonzos stuff.  Perfect soundtrack for a stroll in the park.

DrJ

That was wonderful.  How great was Innes?  The Good Manners story, the genuine affection he had for the guy.

To buy the Bonzos...  I was 15 when this came out, and it still does the trick:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000024A5A/qid=1091237468/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_11_4/202-9177667-9539062

But for twice the price, buy this.  All the Bonzo albums in full in one box:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000006TDV/qid=1091237393/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-9177667-9539062

(Yes, It Doesn't Have The 1987 reunion on it)

DrJ

Double post, how embarassing.

oceanthroats

doesn't that box set miss out readymades on tadpoles? and why does it miss out readymades on tadpoles? i love that song. probably too near some sixties classic or something.

alan strang

Quote from: "oceanthroats"doesn't that box set miss out readymades on tadpoles?

Ready Mades wasn't on Tadpoles (at least not on the British edition).

Having said that, 'Cornology' does actually feature the track as part of its 'Dog Ends' disc.

oceanthroats

it was on my tadpoles cd. was  it a single or something? on my tadpoles cd it's in the middle of the cd. maybe the stuck it on when it was first put out on cd but they usually put them on at the end don't they?

oceanthroats

on the neil innes site it has readymades. who will solve this readymades mystery?
http://www.neilinnes.org/bonzo.htm#tadpoles

alan strang

Quote from: "oceanthroats"on the neil innes site it has readymades. who will solve this readymades mystery?

I'll have a bash. The American edition of Tadpoles included Ready Mades (as does the CD which is usually available in the UK as an import) but the original British release didn't. The Brit version of Tadpoles is used on Cornology (and on the 'Four Originals From The Bonzo Dog Band' box set too I think).

I think the tracklisting on the Innes site is a compromise between both the UK and US tracklistings (I'm pretty sure the US edition didn't feature 'Urban Spaceman').

Check out this remarkable page which covers the original release in some detail.

Duffy

Quote from: "Neil"[What Viv stuff have you checked out Duffy?  You should certainly start working through the Bonzos albums if you haven't heard much of those, and as for solo Stanshall get yer mitts on the Sir Henry At Rawlinsons End stuff and the album "Men Opening Umbrellas Ahead."

Thanks for that, Neil. Yeah, I haven't heard much Bonzos, only the obvious. I was aware of "Sir Henry" and its reputation but never got to see it.

Will check out your suggestions as well as some of the others mentioned above. Cheers.

oceanthroats

Quote from: "alan strang"
Quote from: "oceanthroats"on the neil innes site it has readymades. who will solve this readymades mystery?

I'll have a bash. The American edition of Tadpoles included Ready Mades (as does the CD which is usually available in the UK as an import) but the original British release didn't. The Brit version of Tadpoles is used on Cornology (and on the 'Four Originals From The Bonzo Dog Band' box set too I think).

I think the tracklisting on the Innes site is a compromise between both the UK and US tracklistings (I'm pretty sure the US edition didn't feature 'Urban Spaceman').

Check out this remarkable page which covers the original release in some detail.

thanks, i'll have a proper look at that site later. i'll have to buy cornology one day when i have some money.

Paaaaul

Cornology can often be found in HMV sales for £14.99 these days. Not bad for 5 albums and a load of extra songs

Silver SurferGhost

The doc was brilliant, it almost makes up for the fact that no-one bothered to do a proper one when he died nearly ten years ago...if only we could have got the full version of "A Room With A View" instead of just a couple of snippets, though.
Still, it proves all this stuff still exists, and as we know here, 'new' things are rearing their heads all the time...

Trainspotting note for collectors: the track that Cornology misses out is the 20-odd second piano outro to the "Doughnut" LP.

Duffy, if  you're checking out Viv's solo stuff:
Men Opening Umbrellas is the ROCK album heavy on the African vibes man (and with heavy friends), Sir Henry is a truncated (but still different) version of the BBC Peel sessions (try and get hold of both, and the film), and don't forget Teddy Boys Don't Knit, lighter and frothier than MOUA (and often very unfairly dismissed because of it).
But even then you're only scratching the surface....ask around hereabouts.

If you want to avoid paying £30 and upwards for a scratchy old vinyl copy of MOUA (still criminally unreleased on CD), you can find some perfectly listenable MP3s here (by going clicky on the LP cover) :
http://www.shuttleworths.co.uk/sirhenry/noise.html and if you like it, follow the link here http://www.gingergeezer.net/home.html to go and petition for it's release!

Oh yeah, I taped it as well, thought it'd be nice to have another copy,  without the BBC Four logo.