Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:20:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Subclass movies that still get you emotional

Started by Artemis, September 04, 2013, 12:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artemis

I'm wondering how many others suffer this; you're watching something a bit second-rate, but you suddenly find it evokes strong emotion in you.

Example: I thought I may as well see what Titanic on blu-ray looks like[nb]excellent, as it happens[/nb], and forgot both what an epic scale there is to that movie and how god-awful the dialogue and characterisation is. But the whole experience made me quite emotional by the end. I was both tearful and embarrassed. Same goes with Meet Joe Black - not the finest of movies by any stretch, but I'm a wreck by the end.

What about you? Is there anything that secretly quite gets to you?

Ian Benson

Most recently, Real Steel, right at the end, when the kid stops watching the fight and watches his dad. I don't know if that film's subclass actually.

Johnny Townmouse

I think Hugo is a largely flawed film with some abysmal acting - but there is something about the dramatisation of Georges Melies back-story, and the history of film in general, that totally grabs me by the emotional testicles. I watched it again on Sunday and it had exactly the same affect.

Other than that, I remember Alien 4 really getting to me despite being objectively bad. The multiple fucked-up versions of Ripley writhing around in pain had me weeping like a child.

Oh yeah, What's Love Got to Do With It is a sub-par Tina Turner bio-pic but the sexual and emotional violence really got to me. Add in River, Deep Mountain High (a song that can set me off anyway) and the final scene with Tina trying to give a hotel receptionist jewellery to get a room for the night to escape Ike, which he refuses and gives her the room anyway, and you have a blubbing Townmouse on your hands.

Canted_Angle

This http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdZybLee9yo and Braveheart made me cry as a kid...oh and Outbreak (I had a thing about flesh eating viruses).

kngen

So long as it's on a plane, it could be fucking anything. Combination of intense stress, then release of said stress, boredom, tiredness and perhaps a gin and tonic makes even the most trite bollocks a gilt-edged weepfest. I had to turn UP! off after five minutes lest I flood the plane - and Ratatouille had me welling up, too, and not in a particularly emotional bit, either. Christ knows what I'd be like if I was exposed to a proper grown-up Ordinary People type affair.

madhair60

Fucking CLICK.  Heaving great sobs.  Fuck that movie!

Obel

Looper is just a sci fi action flick really, but I really loved Emily Blunt's performance. I found the scene at the end when she's trying to calm her son down in the field to be quite emotional for some reason. It completely took me by surprise and elevated a film I was enjoying anyway.

Uncle TechTip

The second half of Titanic is the greatest movie ever made. I wouldn't call it sub class. Mainstream is a better description. Too flabby in the first half.

Hobes

Regarding Henry gets me every time, *spoilers* the moment buddy the beagle goes up to the daughter at school.. it might just be that I was refused a dog throughout childhood (being a RAF brat) and really wanted a beagle.

Also, more recently, the time travellers wife gets me like no other film (I'm welling up typing this, the book had the same effect).

I'm not sure either are 'subclass' but they both had a hard time with critics. 

Lyfjaberg

I find that Bigelow's Strange Days has more meaning for me than it really should.

Artemis

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on September 04, 2013, 10:22:15 AM
The second half of Titanic is the greatest movie ever made. I wouldn't call it sub class. Mainstream is a better description. Too flabby in the first half.

The second half is indeed incredible. The first half does let it down, though. That first half really is quite poor in places.

monkfromhavana

The ending of "Julia's Eyes". Don't get me wrong, it's a good film, but it was quite schlocky and silly in some ways and I didn't expect to be upset by the ending. Filled me with sadness, that did.

Also, "Forrest Gump". Maybe it's not subclass but I do feel guilty for letting it affect me. All of its tear-jerking moments are cheap emotional manipulations, and Gump himself is not a believable character, but somehow it gets to me. Is life like a box of chocolates? Not really. Do I think Jenny is good for Forrest? Not really, and I don't think that kid is his either. But all the same, the film makes me emotional. For that, I would like to apologise.

Quote from: monkfromhavana on September 04, 2013, 09:29:53 PM
Lethal Weapon 3

Is there a sad bit in Lethal Weapon 3? I can't remember. I mean I'm assuming that there isn't, but I had to ask.

Artemis

Watching the excellent documentaries on the special features disc of Titanic, James Cameron commentates on the deleted scenes to say that his original script was to feature three sightings of a shooting star - once when Jack and Rose get together, another when the ship is sinking, and another when he fucks off. He talks about the shooting stars SYMBOLISING DEATH. James Cameron there, ladies and gentleman. Surely the luckiest two-bit writer ever to make billions.

Can you imagine how clumsy it would be to have Rose spot a shooting star as the ship is sinking let alone as her true love is dying? Cameron talks about how it was such a tough decision to take it out of the script. Jesus.

thraxx

Jerry Maguire has me welling up nearly the whole way though.  I can't explain it and I hate myself for it.

Frazer

The Black Hole.

The climax.

By the gods!

It'd be easier to list the emotions that I didn't feel.

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: kngen on September 04, 2013, 09:31:26 AM
So long as it's on a plane, it could be fucking anything. Combination of intense stress, then release of said stress, boredom, tiredness and perhaps a gin and tonic makes even the most trite bollocks a gilt-edged weepfest. I had to turn UP! off after five minutes lest I flood the plane - and Ratatouille had me welling up, too, and not in a particularly emotional bit, either. Christ knows what I'd be like if I was exposed to a proper grown-up Ordinary People type affair.

Oh god, absolutely. Planes make me emotional at damn near anything. A personal highlight was welling up at the end of The Campaign on the way to LA.

garbed_attic

The obscure kitchen-sink magic-realism quiet horror film thing Paperhouse really gets to me. The undercurrents about the
Spoiler alert
absent father being an aggressive and possibly abusive drunk
[close]
and simply the way the lead girl is so disaffected and unhappy and generally the whole feeling of the loss of innocence, really upsets me. Shakes me up that film.

leighhart

Untamed Heart...fucking destroys me
Georgia, Jennifer Jason Leighs character especially
Ethan Frome...Patricia Arquette was a huge crush of mine back in the late 90s
Griffin and Phoenix...
Kissing a fool

Thomas

I agree that the second half of Titanic is great. I thought it was just common practice to fast forward through all the boring stuff. The (SPOILER) iceberg collision scene is proper tense like.

Utter Shit

A Walk To Remember is fairly standard issue, one-for-the-tweenagers fare, but I found it incredibly moving. It has fucking Mandy Moore in it, I have no business emoting to something Mandy Moore.

leighhart

Quote from: Thomas on September 24, 2013, 11:24:37 AM
I agree that the second half of Titanic is great. I thought it was just common practice to fast forward through all the boring stuff. The (Spoiler) iceberg collision scene is proper tense like.

still cant believe they made a sequel

Kane Jones

Not subclass by any means, but City Slickers was on the other night and I properly sobbed through certain bits (usually involving Norman the calf, obviously).  I had drunk a large quantity of red wine which might've exacerbated things slightly.

NoSleep

I think Artemis is merely appalled at himself for succumbing to the effect of a major mainstream movie. Clearly it worked for him, which means the contradiction lies within himself.

I thought this was going to be a thread about low-budget movies that pack a punch. Like Jon Jost's "Framed". Can't really say anything about this movie without spoiling it, other than to say that you really must watch to the end (you have no idea where the film is headed until it gets there).

Genevieve

I generally cry at everything because I can find a tenuous link to my own life anywhere - I did this with "Victim" yesterday and I'm not a gay man in early '60s London.  But what comes to mind is my embarrassment at crying buckets watching the Sylvia Plath biopic in the cinema, because I'd recently been cheated on and my relationship ended.  Then there's all the TV movies that I saw when skiving off school, I don't know their names but they were massively emotionally manipulative.  They were on Channel 4 back then I think but Channel 5 now; they are really budget horror films for housewives, much more realistic.  Some combination of: husband cheats/acrimonious divorce/child gets cancer/child wants a divorce/you get cancer/you get in financial straits usually happens, maybe with some sport and female friendship to offset it.  The happy ending is that when you're on your deathbed the cheating husband you still carry a torch for turns up to say sorry, before going home to his young wife and family.  Evil stuff.

Brundle-Fly

Awakenings (1990)
That mawkish Robin Williams bringing Robert De Niro out of life long catalepsy film.
  I saw it at the cinema and had a little cry to my utter shame. My mate remarked that he was expecting several gallons of molasses to seep out the screen. It still got me when I watched it again recently.

the midnight watch baboon

The Rock

Wen Nicolas Cage lets the nuclear things go off, knowing they might paralyse him but it will kill the baddie and Stanley (Cage) has a pregnant girlfriend at home. Also earlier when Sean Rock has a reunion with his estranged daughter. And when it gets a bit like the Goonies. My bottom lip wobbles like certain mum's bottom lips when they've got their Rabbits up 'em.

rjd2

Not cried at a movie for years, but  when I was younger always used to for some reason at end of Cool Runnings when they received the slow clap. The shame of it all.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I just managed not to cry during the pretty bad The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe. What kept my composure was being surrounded by ten year old children displaying no emotion whatsoever.

I'm a sucker for a bit of heroism and self-sacrifice. Apart from superhero movies where I just think "Well yeah, you should, superhero cunt".

dr beat

QuoteSo long as it's on a plane, it could be fucking anything. Combination of intense stress, then release of said stress, boredom, tiredness and perhaps a gin and tonic makes even the most trite bollocks a gilt-edged weepfest.

QuoteNot cried at a movie for years, but  when I was younger always used to for some reason at end of Cool Runnings when they received the slow clap. The shame of it all.

As it happens I watched Cool Runnings on Sunday coming back from Dubai on the plane, and yes I was in pieces watching that last scene.