Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:21:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Simpsons - Nancy Cartwright interview

Started by skibz, August 01, 2004, 02:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuncanC

I bought her book, but disliked her style a lot and could never read much of it. She's a Scientologist too, which is pretty off-putting.

morgs

Her interview on radio 5 (Simon Mayo) was off-putting too.  It's still online somewhere...

skibz

What's so bad about her? I don't know much about the lady myself...

DuncanC

Oh, there isn't anything "so bad" about her. She's just nothing special in her own right as far as I can see, and she writes like Jean Teasdale. I'm not much more interested in her than some background artist or something.

morgs

Quote from: "skibz"What's so bad about her? I don't know much about the lady myself...

She just seemed a bit jobsworth  to me.  Wouldn't do the travel in the style of Bart (as it is not her copyright) but really, it's her voice.  I don't think Fox would be devastated if they discovered Bart had announced a crash on the M26...  After all I am sure that other Simpsons cast members have done vioceovers in the 'style' of their characters.  Or am I being harsh?

Darrell

Quote from: "morgs"She just seemed a bit jobsworth  to me.  Wouldn't do the travel in the style of Bart (as it is not her copyright) but really, it's her voice.  I don't think Fox would be devastated if they discovered Bart had announced a crash on the M26...  After all I am sure that other Simpsons cast members have done vioceovers in the 'style' of their characters.  Or am I being harsh?

It's something Fox enforced in the contracts of the actors - they're not allowed to do the Simpsons voices outside of The Simpsons barring rare, Fox-endorsed, previously-agreed exceptions. Bloody stupid (and selfish) rule if you ask me.

Artemis

Quote from: "Darrell"they're not allowed to do the Simpsons voices outside of The Simpsons barring rare, Fox-endorsed, previously-agreed exceptions. Bloody stupid (and selfish) rule if you ask me.

One of these great exceptions is when the Simpsons cast (all of them) appeared on the hour-long show 'Inside The Actors Studio' and talked about their craft as well as entertained the crowd with the character voices and interacted with each other in character. It was wonderful to watch. Don't know if you get it in the UK or not - in the US it's shown on Bravo.

oceanthroats

harry shearer used to do smithers and burns a bit when he went on the panel( in australia) not too long ago. maybe that rule came in afterwards though. maybe he's just a naughty boy.

Godzilla Bankrolls

That  'Inside The Actors Studio' was shown recently on Sky One, and blow me if it wasn't the biggest bumlick fest I've seen in a while. It doesn't help that most of the cast aren't that funny without a script in front of them.

Dark Sky

Quote from: "oceanthroats"harry shearer used to do smithers and burns a bit when he went on the panel( in australia) not too long ago. maybe that rule came in afterwards though. maybe he's just a naughty boy.

Yeah, Nancy Cartwright also did a few snatches of Bart when she was on Blue Peter a few years ago now.  

(Honestly, it was some time ago, I don't watch Blue Peter much any more...)

-Nick

Pinball

Quote from: "Artemis"
Quote from: "Darrell"they're not allowed to do the Simpsons voices outside of The Simpsons barring rare, Fox-endorsed, previously-agreed exceptions. Bloody stupid (and selfish) rule if you ask me.

One of these great exceptions is when the Simpsons cast (all of them) appeared on the hour-long show 'Inside The Actors Studio' and talked about their craft as well as entertained the crowd with the character voices and interacted with each other in character. It was wonderful to watch. Don't know if you get it in the UK or not - in the US it's shown on Bravo.
'Inside The Actors Studio' is a great show isn't it? In the UK it's on the Performance channel on Sky. Over the weekend they had Peter Falk on - superb down to earth guy, with fascinating insights into Columbo. I mean, do you know what Columbo's first name is, or the name of his wife??

Jeremy Irons will be on soon.

"I've put something provocative on the train" (Die Hard 3)
tee heehee

abighat

Hmm, she did her stuff on the Big Breakfast a few years back, and Harry Shearer was on R5 promoting something else earlier this year and he did some voices. Maybe they're not quite so rare, or maybe Fox aren't *that* bothered.

fbb bastard

"radio two.....................doh!!!!"

rule or not i cant see the infamous Dan Castellaneta danny baker interview (where he did pretty much every voice he had done on the simpsons and STILL no bastard rang in with questions or anything) causing much hassle in the fox legal department

being as she is a scientologist i wonder if nancy got pissy about the l ron hubbard pisstake of "the leader" episode? and i should imagine it was probably inspired by her "faith" and all

DuncanC

Quote from: "fbb bastard"being as she is a scientologist i wonder if nancy got pissy about the l ron hubbard pisstake of "the leader" episode? and i should imagine it was probably inspired by her "faith" and all
Definitely, particularly the lawyer squads. I've heard some rumours they watered it down a bit because of her. Also, Bart doesn't say very much in that episode. Thank God she wasn't on Futurama ("The made-up sci-fi religion that WON'T take all your money!")

Lt Plonker

Quote from: "Pinball"Over the weekend they had Peter Falk on - superb down to earth guy, with fascinating insights into Columbo. I mean, do you know what Columbo's first name is, or the name of his wife??

Darn. I'd like to have seen that. He's a great artist, too. I know his wife's name is Rosie, a name he first mentioned in a TV special he did with Frank Sinatra, in character.

His first name? Hmm. The Top Ten TV Detectives captioned him as Philip, but apart from that, I give in.

Morgan

Yeah, I'd love to see that Peter Falk episode as well, Peter Falk seems a really good guy from what I've seen - and he plays chess too, so he must be good.

Columbo's first name is NOT Philip; this rumour spawned from a quiz book released years ago.  One of the questions asked just that, what's Columbo's first name, with Philip given - but this was actually a 'security' question the author had put in, a fake one to stop people nicking all his quizzes.  Ordnate Survey maps do a similar thing, putting in fake windmills and shit.

Pinball

Peter Falk comes over as a really down to earth, nice working class guy. He sat with the student actors at the end of the show and answered questions. Fascinating stuff. He went to Europe with his French g/f and travelled to Yugoslavia (just after Tito liberalised) to help build the railways. Later, back in Yankville, he applied to join the CIA. They looked at his CV, and laughed, for obvious reasons :-)

I've videoed this. Anyone want a tape PM me.

Oh and when asked he said Columbo's first name is... Inspector :-)

His wife's name is just Mrs Columbo.

Class.

Paul Twist

I believe the reason that The Simpsons cast are no longer allowed to perform the characters unscripted is because of a CD on which Castellaneta performed Homer. The CD was a bit too left-leaning for Fox, and they denied permission for its use. Full story here:

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/7-26-2002-23221.asp

I saw Nancy Cartwright read from her book a couple of years back, and bought a signed copy. She said "hey man" to me in Bart's voice, which excited me a lot more than it should have done. I must agree though, her book isn't the easiest to read. A bit too "everything is great and I am friends with everyone!!!". Just about worth perservering with if you have an interest in voice acting in cartoons, but not otherwise.

steevbishop

Quote from: "Darrell"It's something Fox enforced in the contracts of the actors - they're not allowed to do the Simpsons voices outside of The Simpsons barring rare, Fox-endorsed, previously-agreed exceptions. Bloody stupid (and selfish) rule if you ask me.

Yeah, and it's not like it's that different from any other voice work she'd done.