Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:46:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Morris GLR tapes on eBay (auction ending soon)

Started by DJ Solid Snail, September 10, 2013, 05:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ Solid Snail

Just spotted these for seven quid, and although it seems some of these have already been digitalised by CaB, I think there might be a few missing shows in there.

I emailed the seller and he gave me these dates:

Quote from: middlesex_manBoxing day 91
Jan. 3rd, 10th, 17th and 23rd 92.
24th May 92
May Bank Holiday 92
July 18th 92
Boxing day 92

Going by my collection, which includes everything released by CaB as far as I know, the missing ones are Jan 10th & 23rd '92, maybe May 24th '92 (I have one dated the 25th), July 18th '92 and possibly Dec 26th '92 (I have one dated the 28th). This is assuming his dates or mine are accurate of course.

I don't have the equipment to do anything with these, much as I'm inclined to snap them up, but if anybody else is interested you've got a bit over four hours left!

Lfbarfe

I'll bid for these, transfer them and share the spoils with you all.

weirdbeard

Quote from: Lfbarfe on September 10, 2013, 05:47:39 PM
I'll bid for these, transfer them and share the spoils with you all.

I'm dearly hoping the fact that only 1 person bid on it means that you won.

Lfbarfe

benthalo

Quote from: DJ Solid Snail on September 10, 2013, 05:17:39 PM
Just spotted these for seven quid, and although it seems some of these have already been digitalised by CaB, I think there might be a few missing shows in there.

I emailed the seller and he gave me these dates:

Going by my collection, which includes everything released by CaB as far as I know, the missing ones are Jan 10th & 23rd '92, maybe May 24th '92 (I have one dated the 25th), July 18th '92 and possibly Dec 26th '92 (I have one dated the 28th). This is assuming his dates or mine are accurate of course.

I don't have the equipment to do anything with these, much as I'm inclined to snap them up, but if anybody else is interested you've got a bit over four hours left!

Some of 10 Jan 92 definitely exists. That was circulating c.2001. I guarantee that 24 May 92 and 26 Dec 92 are both misdates of 25 and 28 respectively. Not sure about 18 July 92 but it was a Saturday.

My library check notes aren't immediately to hand but this is pretty complete:

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?page=cabwiki&w=radio:glr_tx_dates

They'll be easy enough to ID once Louis has them shared.

dmillburn

That reminds me, I've got some GLR tapes kicking around here that I promised to send to Neil about 5 years ago for him to digitise and then completely forgot about. Twice.

According to an old email the ones I have are dated:

??/12/91
24/11/91 part 1
24/11/91 part 2
08/12/91
22/12/91 part 1
22/12/91 part 2
26/12/91
23/12/91 part 3
??/12/91
??/12/91
25/05/92 Part 1
25.05/92 Part 2
25/05/92 Part 3
And 2 just marked "GLR Compilation"

I can't get that cabwiki link to open for some reason, any of them on the wanted list? I suspect they have all probably already been captured (I did loads of copies for people on BEMLi in the late 90's)  but if any of these are needed let me know so I can fail to post them off for a third time.

benthalo

How odd. I checked that link twice but it's now not working for me either. Hmm.

Try this one: http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/page,GLR.html

Plus the link at the bottom to "GLR transmission dates & selected show guides"

Quite a few of those dates seem unfamiliar. Drop Neil, Louis or myself a line and I'm sure we can get them transferred and properly IDed. I'll message Neil on twitter now.

weirdbeard

Quote from: benthalo on September 11, 2013, 09:50:30 AM
Some of 10 Jan 92 definitely exists. That was circulating c.2001.

I know there was one on CAB with that date for years, but when I was doing all the work on the wiki way back when, I was listening to it and noted that Jacques Oeuf had a bit about Mick Jagger's new daughter, who popped out on 12th January 1991 - so it seemed right to date it the week after - the 17th. Should be pretty clear if Louis's show are more complete, with more contemporary references to help us date.

I could do with going back into the wiki and tidying up the GLR page a bit more, there are a couple of shows found since then which could be marked as in circulation. I don't have the wiki login page link, however, can anyone help with this?

benthalo

Not me.

I expect the 17 Jan date is correct, then. All I've got to hand is my old disc catalogue which would be obsolete info anyway, so ta for clarifying. I have library lists at home which can help but as you say, there's really no point verifying dates until we can hear stuff and check against online newspaper archives. They could also be sharper copies too of course.

I've messaged Neil. Hopefully he'll be along in a bit.

eluc55

Might be worth messaging his Barry Admin account, if you haven't already, as that's the one he seems to use nowadays.

benthalo

Lfbarfe

OK, I've finally got around to opening the parcel, and here's what I appear to have, based on the helpfully thorough track listings made by the person who recorded them.  All are very nice recordings from VHF stereo,  apart from the R5 show obviously.

26/12/91 - 1x60min cassette, but the track listing bears no relation to the Wiki
3/1/92 - 3 hour show, substantially complete across 2x90min cassettes
10/1/92 - 3 hour show, substantially complete across 2x90min cassettes
17/1/92 - 3 hour show, substantially complete across 2x90min cassettes
24/1/92 - 3 hour show, substantially complete across 2x90min cassettes
25/5/92 - 3 hour show, substantially complete across 2x90min cassettes
Radio 5, 18/7/92 (most likely a mis-date of 17/7/92) - 1x90min cassette, so likely to be half of the show
28/12/92 - 3 hour show, substantially complete across 2x90min cassettes

weirdbeard

Very nice, thanks for the update.  Re. the 26/12/1991 show, the existing encode (or the one I have anyway) is only 90 minutes of a 3 hour show - of course the content on the wiki is only summarising these 90 minutes - so you might have got another hour of it, which would be great news obviously.

benthalo

Louis - I've got the PasBs for the Radio 5 shows so if you get really stuck, I can ID it by music but it sounds like 17 July to me. R5 run was 13-17 July as any fule know.

Lfbarfe

We played it out on CaB Radio last night and established that it was 7.15-8.45 of the 17/7/92 show. With Mumbler's tape we now have over 2 hours of the 3 hour show.

Currently transferring 10/1/92. A very good VHF recording, but only in mono. This is only a disappointment after the stereo loveliness of 3/1/92.

Call me old fashioned but these shows deserve only ever to be heard in full, news and travel intact. People who fillet stuff like this and pass the captures off as their own work are worse than Savile.

weirdbeard

Quote from: Lfbarfe on September 26, 2013, 12:56:49 PM
We played it out on CaB Radio last night and established that it was 7.15-8.45 of the 17/7/92 show. With Mumbler's tape we now have over 2 hours of the 3 hour show.

Has anyone got the full length Morning Edition clips from Mumbler's tape to upload or are the YouTube clips on the Wiki all there is? I take it everyone is aware that Part 1 is from the Monday show, btw?

Neil

That's all there is.

Many thanks to dmillburn for sending me his tapes, going through them now, and my audio interface should arrive tomorrow so I can start doing them as proper high-quality ones, then redo everything else, and finally get NKC done and dusted. 

Can anyone tell me what episode of On The Hour has Conan Batterschrist reporting on a school shooting, with Rubber Bullets by 10CC?  My memory of OTH is shocking, I'm gonna have to revisit that show now.  Anyway, there's a bit tagged onto the end of this GLR version which certainly isn't on Newsbanger, and I don't recall hearing it before...  and it's
Spoiler alert
fucking hilarious
[close]
. (Edit: Yep, it's new...)

Same show has him doing Jenkins The Killer Whale from S2E1 as a link between records, with an extra tag on the end that's not in the OTH version. 

weirdbeard

Just a thought about 3/1/92 that Louis played on CAB Radio last night - the wiki and the CAB intro on the existing 55 minute encode says it's a New Year highlights programme, no doubt going by Chris's final link "don't forget this is a recorded highlights programme". When I was getting all the TX information for the wiki a few years back, I did noted that the November 1991 - February 1992 run was both a 3 hour show on Fridays and a 1 hour show on Monday - I always suspected the Sunday show was a highlights programme, but had no proof of this, obviously this final link should have made that clear back then, but it's only just clicked. What it does mean is that completists should still keep the highlights show, even if the full Friday show exists, as Chris was recording at least one new link for it.

Neil

Courtesy of dmillburn, here's an On The Hour segment played on GLR, with some new stuff... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1f2H2Vvgxk&feature=youtu.be

I've been so busy with the technical stuff I've not even had time to check the dates yet, but The Mumbler tells me it was broadcast three days before the OTH edit went out!  I'll put it up as an mp3 tomorrow when I get some more done.

weirdbeard

Quote from: Neil on September 26, 2013, 10:03:20 PM
Courtesy of dmillburn, here's an On The Hour segment played on GLR, with some new stuff... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1f2H2Vvgxk&feature=youtu.be

I've been so busy with the technical stuff I've not even had time to check the dates yet, but The Mumbler tells me it was broadcast three days before the OTH edit went out!  I'll put it up as an mp3 tomorrow when I get some more done.

Thanks Neil, that's funny stuff.  Really looking forward to getting stuck into these new shows.

Neil

The Kylie Minogue line had me in fits, how good is that?!?  The compilation tapes seem to be jammed with Feedback Reports, Wayne Carr and "Today's Prize" segments.  I'm sure there's a ton of new Michael Alexander St John and Sgt Murphy to come. 

Chris Morris and the Virtual Reality Whore - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAcqViQjoyg&feature=youtu.be

Edit: Feedback Report: Lifting It Up - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBSxXpx_u0c&feature=youtu.be

Feedback Report - Bug Violins - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM3bx-GDyr0&feature=youtu.be

benthalo

DrunkCountry

Quote from: Neil on September 26, 2013, 10:34:38 PM
The Kylie Minogue line had me in fits, how good is that?!?

Fucking beautiful. Cheers, man. Can't wait to hear the full shit.

Neil

Another copy of 26/12/91 here.  Tape with part 3 continues on from where Chris Young's old tape cuts off at the "more answers to unusual sound" competition. PSB's parody gets another airing after that.  On that note, James Shaftoe is kindly trying to get in touch with Whitehead, to see if there were any more songs produced for GLR (there must have been), and whether he still has tapes.  That'd be amazing. (In fact, as the same show features the TMBG pastiche, there'd likely be more around that particular time period.)

Are all these tapes too late for Annie Nightingale handovers?  Also desperate to hear more of those.

Anyway, this tape continues to the end of the show, just missing out the last few seconds of his goodbye and a "tomorrow's headline." The other side is completely blank, damn and blast and hellfire.

This is how dmillburn's tape is sounding, although still waiting for the audio interface, so it's going into my on-board Realtek card on the desktop via line-in.

Wayne Carr: Chinny-Wag on Energy Saving and Global Warming

Edit: Always been a favourite of mine, that.  "Dick Van Lesbian" etc.  Was howling at it this morning, and analysing the apartheid joke, partly so I could chop it down for Twitter.  What I love are the extra ideas that flesh out the general conceit of the bait and switch.  It's the fact he keeps buying apples anyway, despite how "extremely difficult" it is for Wayne to avoid people who are pissed off at him for breaking the boycott. Oh, and listening again, he pronounces the H in apartheid every time! Love love.

Edit:
Chris Morris - Feedback Report: Lifting Things Up
Chris Morris - Feedback Report - Things You Would Never Say

Neil

I'll edit this as I go along to let you know what is in these, and to help me when it comes to the final encode.  Make it easier to check against existing shows in circulation.

Tape box labelled as 22nd Dec 1991 / 26th GLR 1991

So far there's a lot of that CM trope of inanimate objects and places getting lost and wandering around and such. Edit: Wayne dates it as the 21st.

Tape box labelled as 26th December 1991

Contents as listed in previous post, starting around Kirsty McColl, so full show should is almost certainly across the tapes and tape flips can almost certainly be patched with Chris Young's copy.

(Oh yeah, one tape has Dolby B scrawled on it, should I be touching my Dolby NR buttons at all?  Currently just using the very nice Tape Trim feature to make the sound a bit clearer.)

Flouncer

This thread is making me a bit wet down there - I went through all the GLR stuff available on here a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it, I can't wait to hear more. Thanks for making the effort.

Neil

Right, I've got my audio interface now, so will start banging stuff out.

weirdbeard

Quote from: Neil on October 04, 2013, 01:29:20 PM
Right, I've got my audio interface now, so will start banging stuff out.

Great stuff Neil, thanks for the update.

weirdbeard

Any news on any of these coming out soon?

In the meantime I've been updating some of the GLR show guides on the wiki so there's a little more detail on there. Still work-in-progress and if anyone can make any further embellishments to what's there, then great.