Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:01:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Who was that trashy rapper that Lady Sovereign had a bit of a spat with?

Started by Norton Canes, September 11, 2013, 12:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

You know the one. Name's on the tip of me tongue. Quick! Tell me!

Norton Canes

jaydee81

If I had a penny for every crap female rapper I have lived through

Kreayshawn

Princess Superstar

I'd have about 2p by now

Norton Canes

Yeah. Essentially they've all got the same problem, and it's that they're not Peaches.

jaydee81

There's a moment in the most recent MIA video where she says 'its not your fault, its all about the banks' or something which instantly made me lose all respect for her.
The final straw of sixth form poetry.

Thursday

Remember when Lady Sov was on celebrity big brother and argued with Vinnie Jones and stroppily ate corned beef at different times to everyone else.

Best thing she's ever done.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 11, 2013, 12:25:25 PM
Jentina

Her Wikipedia page is pretty good -

"Currently Jentina is keeping a low profile, and raising a family." is probably code for "Jentina is currently in the obscurity she never left".

Also "During 2005, Jentina dated The Prodigy member Keith Flint. She also has a son called Ralph and a daughter called Annie." and "During 2011, Jentina was the judging panel for "Travellers Got Talent".

I also like "In 2006, "Mysterious" underscored some of the audition stages of MTV's DanceLife"

Not too shabby.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: jaydee81 on September 11, 2013, 12:39:02 PM
There's a moment in the most recent MIA video where she says 'its not your fault, its all about the banks' or something which instantly made me lose all respect for her.
Sort of difficult to be too nuanced in a pop song, and the banks have indeed been bastards to lots of people for a long time. Surely there are worse things in the world to write pop songs about?

Tiny Poster

Since the 90s, it's become nigh-on impossible for any popstars to put political messages with any depth beyond "where is the love?" or "it's ok to be gay" into their music without being greeted with ridicule.

thepuffpastryhangman

Quote from: Tiny Poster on September 11, 2013, 03:12:44 PM
Since the 90s, it's become nigh-on impossible for any popstars to put political messages with any depth beyond "where is the love?" or "it's ok to be gay" into their music without being greeted with ridicule.

If "it's ok to be be gay" is a "political message" does that mean Buju Banton's 'Boom Bye Bye' is a "political message" too? Albeit a less Cameron friendly one. And not that Buju didn't get ridiculed of course. it's just that I didn't see it as politically based. It's clearly not party political, but is it political at all. And if so, what broad umbrella does it shelter under?

momatt

Quote from: jaydee81 on September 11, 2013, 12:39:02 PM

Whenever MIA says anything about money, I can't help but remember that she married an ugly billionaire.  It sort of ruins any ant-establishment stance she has.

thepuffpastryhangman

Quote from: Tiny Poster on September 11, 2013, 04:36:31 PM
Yes

Normally that'd be just what I'm looking for. And so unlike you. So I appreciate the special effort. However, I wasn't born a week last Friday and if you expect me to believe Buju Banton has replaced Jon Anderson and they're now a political party/platform/loose alliance/categorisation, well, I'm sorry, but until I've checked it out - not least to confirm with Johnny Yesno to see if the Yes party/platform/loose alliance/categorisation are by his estimation"left-wing" or not - I'm going to assume you've made a funny ok.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: jaydee81 on September 11, 2013, 12:26:28 PM

Kreayshawn

Princess Superstar

I'd have about 2p by now

Princess Superstar is the only rapper I like. I've even chatted to her on the phone thanks to pledge. She was lovely :)

thepuffpastryhangman

Quote from: Tiny Poster on September 11, 2013, 04:54:40 PM
Yes

Never mind putting forward other lesser mortals, with pure gold replies like those you're ripe for that open-mic spot yourself lad. Can you maintain that level for a full 5 minutes?...

rjd2

Quote from: jaydee81 on September 11, 2013, 12:26:28 PM

Kreayshawn

Princess Superstar

I'd have about 2p by now

how have you manged to avoid Fergie? So jealous right now.

edit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHULK1M-P08

Are you familiar with this lady? Does. Not. Deserve. A. Vagina.

Think it was Artemis who put me onto this. Fucker still has not said sorry.

momatt

There are loads of decent female rappers.  Call me a racist, but I find it's best to avoid the white ones.  Give me Jean Grae, MC Lyte, T-Love or Bahamadia any day.

That Brooke Candy video is ridiculous.  Is it really real?
She makes Iggy Azalea look good.

rjd2

Quote from: momatt on September 11, 2013, 08:04:14 PM
There are loads of decent female rappers.  Call me a racist, but I find it's best to avoid the white ones.  Give me Jean Grae, MC Lyte, T-Love or Bahamadia any day.

That Brooke Candy video is ridiculous.  Is it really real?
She makes Iggy Azalea look good.

Sadly Brooke is real and bless she is trying so hard to be sexual and edgy even Miley Cyrus is laughing at her.

Are you familiar with Dessa? She is absolutely fantastic, part of the Doomtree rap group.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: Tiny Poster on September 11, 2013, 03:12:44 PM

Speaking of which: another Manic Street Preachers album.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 11, 2013, 04:58:26 PM
Princess Superstar is the only rapper I like. I've even chatted to her on the phone thanks to pledge. She was lovely :)

I will defend the Wee Papa Girl Rappers till the end of time. Miss Dynamite, less so.

Ja'moke

Princess Superstar's My Machine is a very good album, I don't care what anyone says. She's also a competent producer, and seems really lovely in interviews and such.

Anyway, best current female rapper?[nb]It's actually Angel Haze.[/nb] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-taYShNaPU#t=64 (warning contains cute Asian girl)

BlodwynPig

Just seen Princess Superstar has been hanging out with Alison Goldfrapp. Given both of there latest albums have a psych vybe, a collaboration would be fantastic

Quote from: Ja'moke on September 11, 2013, 10:45:57 PM
Anyway, best current female rapper?[nb]It's actually Angel Haze.[/nb] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-taYShNaPU#t=64 (warning contains cute Asian girl)

Oh god that is awful, why would you link that.

rjd2

I clicked her other YT videos, she is abysmal, depressingly she will probably be huge with the hipster crowd.

I'l take Brooke Candy over her if I had to choose lesser of two evils.

To be fair he is close to the mark with Angel, not heard as much of her as Jean, Dessa or Eternia but she isn't to shabby.

SteveDave