Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,396
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:18:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Exercise Apps.

Started by Bored of Canada, September 13, 2013, 10:00:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Has anyone used these things?
I unsubscribe from the bastards who call themselves "FRIENDS" that use those run-meters that have social network features and post all over my Facebook. 

I exercise pretty regularly but I'm looking to really push myself and get healthier now that I'm starting to gain some free-time. I tend to write down reps and times and routines and such in notepads but I always forget about annotating because, well, who uses PHYSICAL PAPER ANYMORE? Keep up, Granddad. I'm trying to PUSH THE BURN.

I've heard interesting things about those apps where they tell narratives and such, generally Zombie Apocalypse stories where you get to certain parts and the sound-design and voices you're hearing start shouting that you're being chased and you need to run right now, and if you don't, you lose. That sort of thing. That sounds really fascinating, I might give those a look but I don't know if anyone's actually had experience with something like that or have at least read positive or negative things regarding those kinds of things.

I mean, I'm sick to death of Zombie shit, but I really don't see the other narrative apps they'd use, so I might give one of those a go.

I'd also want a less-gimmicky and bare-bones kind of exercise app. One that tells you the kinds of reps and timing you need to do each session and you can tick them off or whatever. Preferably something without social network features[nb]Really, why does everything have social networking features.

"Yes, I'd like to tweet that I enjoyed this Bondage Video of a woman weeing on a crying man that I just watched."
Luckily that option's right there, built in!
[/nb]. Any good recommendations? Or should I just try and stick with writing it down in a notepad which I lose everywhere. I've ALWAYS got my phone on me.

syntaxerror

I'm gonna say the obvious here but they only work if you use them. Everyone starts off well intentioned when they get and exercise app and, whether they do actually exercise regularly or not, time and time again I have seen an app on a friend's phone, had a look at their history only to find one maybe two runs/workouts recorded.

Quote from: syntaxerror on September 13, 2013, 12:27:24 PM
...time and time again I have seen an app on a friend's phone, had a look at their history only to find one maybe two runs/workouts recorded.

What? Why are you going through your friends phones? Why are you checking out their history!?
Man. I really need to put a passcode on mine quick-smart.

Though yeah, you're absolutely right. Like I said, I already do maintain a fairly regular exercise routine, I think I can maintain something a bit more rigorous, especially if my phone can help out with alarms and making sure I keep up with it. I remember reading that it takes almost two months of making something a ritual before it actually becomes a routine in your mind. Because most people go through kicks of all kinds of things, exercising, reading more, writing more, etc. And I think you can do it pretty good for about three weeks, and then a lot of people, including myself often enough, fall out of those habits. So I'm aware of the length of time I need to dedicate before it becomes a proper habit, so hopefully it'll work out.

I've downloaded an app called "Runkeeper" now, if anyone's interested. Uses GPS and such to figure out how many kilometres you've ran and in what time. Also helps the NSA know when I'm out of the house so they can rush in and wire my room with listening devices.

mcbpete

Is someone who gets gratification from how far they've walked a pedophile ?

Obel

Endomondo is the one I use. I think it's brill, and recommend it wholeheartedly. It's a whole lot of app for zero price.

mcbpete

Aye that's the one I use - I think I got it when it was on the 20p Google sale last year.

glitch

Moves is a good pedometer app. Sits in the background and works out when you're walking/running/cycling and gives you breakdowns (including calories) of your activities each day. It can even detect when you're running on a machine.

MyFitnessPal is the most used calorie counter. Really wished they'd integrate it with Moves though, the other apps it can sync with are nowhere near as good.

I've heard good things about Fitocracy but haven't tried it yet. I'm also tempted by Touchfit, which is supposed to suggest workouts instead of just tracking the same three exercises you might be doing.

syntaxerror

Quote from: Bored of Canada on September 13, 2013, 12:36:32 PM
What? Why are you going through your friends phones? Why are you checking out their history!?
Man. I really need to put a passcode on mine quick-smart.

Because if you ask someone 'can I have a look at that app' and they say 'yes' then its fine. Believe it or not I don't actually go nosin' aroun' people's private data because a) I'm not interested and b)its a really shitty thing to do!

Edit:

Now I've calmed down from my faux indignant rage, you're right about the habit forming thing. Regime change can be the hardest part, maybe you could give yourself an incentive to work to? again this only works if you're disciplined about it.

Obel

Fitocracy is okay if you're into everything being gameified. I used it for a while to log my workouts, but I was getting ridiculous amounts of XP and levelling up basically every time I logged something, which didn't feel like I was actually achieving anything, just kinda got annoying. Stopped using it in the end. Maybe worth a look though for the challenge things on there? Perhaps that'll be motivating?

Personally I love seeing the 1500+ miles of riding I've done on Endo since May, it motivates me more than any gameified site. Just having workouts tracked is good enough!

Oh, with those GPS trackers, probably pointless if you go to a gym, but if you road run or cycle, then they're brill.