Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:25:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

James Corden is Paul Potts in 'One Chance'

Started by up_the_hampipe, September 17, 2013, 09:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

It's the movie event of the century! Here's the trailer for a biopic of Britain's Got Talent's first winner, who apparently had an interesting life but I disagree:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCN6-Af8BK0

BlodwynPig

Shit by numbers just GOT SHITTER.

Sex Lives of the Potato Men just GOT DROOPY.

Surely, this would have been better off as an ITV drama 2 parter.

werfvgbhnj

They've been very flattering in the casting for his wife. Not to say that there's anything wrong with his wife or that she should be ashamed, but the casting is flattering.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: werfvgbhnj on September 17, 2013, 09:38:28 PM
They've been very flattering in the casting for his wife. Not to say that there's anything wrong with his wife or that she should be ashamed, but the casting is flattering.

I think its a criminal offence when they do that.

Strike that.

I think its a criminal offence when they do that in this movie and Corden et al. should be thrown in jail.

BlodwynPig

"These comments come to you from the scriptwriters of One Chance"

Is the finale of this movie, his appearance on Britains got talent? Surely the highlight of his life would be learning Opera in Italy with Pavarotti, or whoever that muppet-a-like is in the trailer.

The highlight of the film would be the actor from the office/sex lives getting an air hose stuck up his ass and afterwards pretending to be Paul Potts like a bad version of that film with Leonard De Capri in which he plays a trickster.

SteveDave

I love the fact that everyone else is doing (or trying to do) a Welsh accent but Corden.

Tiny Poster

DrunkCountry

That looks like the actual worst film ever made. I only clicked on the thread to make a Pol Pot joke in the tags and there's already two!

neveragain

Oh fuckery. This is a very twatty way to format this response but regardless:

1. That looks so shit. Another patronising Billy Elliott-esque working-class triumph story with all the same parts as all of the other films of this type
2. More unnecessary ego fuel for the success-pyre of Cowell
3. I know I'm going to watch it, and probably find myself ...en...joying... ittt.

Gah. That was hard to admit. But I know I'm with friends.

Fittingly, the poster was never seen again

BlodwynPig

Quote from: neveragain on October 07, 2013, 05:20:54 PM
Oh fuckery. This is a very twatty way to format this response but regardless:

1. That looks so shit. Another patronising Billy Elliott-esque working-class triumph story with all the same parts as all of the other films of this type
2. More unnecessary ego fuel for the success-pyre of Cowell
3. I know I'm going to watch it, and probably find myself ...en...joying... ittt.

Gah. That was hard to admit. But I know I'm with friends.

Fittingly, the poster was never seen again

You know that ticket for Friday? It's been gone and lost.

Jumble Cashback

Oh good, Julie Walters is in it.  I wonder if she'll be the one who gives him the emotional 'kick up the arse' speech that isn't what he wants to hear, but ultimately helps him succeed.  I wonder if she'll be a bit doddery on the exterior, but then fiercely determined and righteous once you scratch the surface.  I wonder, but I don't care.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteOne Chance - a dramatisation of an already melodramatic talent show featuring James Corden. Or in other words possibly the most redundant contribution to art in human history.

Thomas

Kane Jones

^ Is he fucking her? She looks like she's loving it.

Thomas

No, that's from the scene where Paul sings a whole woman out of his mouth and really impresses the judges.

Kane Jones

That's nothing; I once sang a whole panel of judges out of my mouth and impressed a woman.  Really.

Thomas

I once impressed Paul Potts with my mouth and a woman judged us. Or something.

babyshambler

Is that her from Romanzo Criminale? I'll be avoiding this if it is because she's mine and I couldn't bear to see her kiss him.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

babyshambler

BlodwynPig

Was that Potts singing that Pavarotti dirge at the end of shite for Britain? He's no Corden is he?

The Duck Man

I've been genuinely baffled by this each time it cropped up on DigitalSpy, and I am still having watched the trailer. Who asked for this? I've checked to see whether Potts is having massive success without me realising. I didn't think he was - and he isn't.

He won Britain's Got Talent, had an album that charted well off the back of it, had another two years later that did OK-ish (but didn't go platinum in the UK) and then a third THREE YEARS AGO that didn't even chart in the UK. That's it! And why the fuck have they got him working in some sort of 1980s, "Oh, the woe of declining industry" steel mill?! He was a manager at Carphone Warehouse!

Is it just an ego-trip for Cowell, because I'd have thought the logical choice if you wanted to do "a nobody wins a contest" story would be to go with a fictional character, rather than attach it to someone whose star is very much in decline. On the other hand, maybe they think they can market during X Factor ad-breaks and make more money than a film with a fictional protagonist (or at least one of a similar quality) would be expected to make.

Still, it's guaranteed to one of those films where Mark Kermode goes "You know what? I cried a little bit. Because while it's hideously flawed, it does pull the heart strings well, and there's an art to that."

Thomas

I saw a poster for it on the side of a bus earlier.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Thomas on October 08, 2013, 11:31:29 PM
I saw a poster for it on the side of a bus earlier.

Every fucking bus. Creativity is dead when you see that poster. You'll throw bricks.

Kane Jones

Quote from: Thomas on October 08, 2013, 09:06:04 PM
I once impressed Paul Potts with my mouth and a woman judged us. Or something.

Do you know what, young Thomas? I believe you.

youngian

Great films can be made from the flimiest and unpromising of subjects as well as attract the interest of someone who has zero interest in the subject. This doesn't look like such a film. It will probably do OK as it is by-numbers commercial British film that has had a committee tick all the boxes. A Peter Morgan/Michael Sheen collaboration it isn't I suspect.