Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:35:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

IOS7 is ...

Started by Noodle Lizard, September 20, 2013, 02:12:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank Venture

Now we're getting somewhere, how do you move certain podcasts to the top? I can't figure it out.

Quote from: Tiny Poster on September 23, 2013, 09:35:42 AM
Fucking hell, Hank Venture

Shut your mouth, son.

Replies From View

Quote from: Hank Venture on September 23, 2013, 11:17:21 PM
Now we're getting somewhere, how do you move certain podcasts to the top? I can't figure it out.

Try dragging them.

I spoke with my mum last night and she said that her iPhone now looks just like an Android. So did a few friends.

I asked them both if they've used an Android OS and they all said no. Just seems an observation that's been spread about by people trying to sound like they're in the know. Personally, I've not seen the new iPhone update. I've got an Android. So I'm exactly the same, but on the other side of the fence. But you don't see me making grand sweeping statements about things I don't know.

Except for the fact that I hear the Welsh are all perverts. Each and every one of them.

I heard a guy there ate a whole beehive once. Stung to within an inch of his life. Necked a bunch of anti-histamines so he could keep going.
Probably gettin' his rocks off, the fucking sicko.

Disgusting.

Famous Mortimer

It doesn't look that much like Android, but I rather like what they've done to iOS.

Ronnie the Raincoat

I do use Android, I've used it for years and am only using an iPhone right now because my friend gave me his old one since my S2 broke.  And it does look like Android.

Still Not George

All of this confusion can likely be explained with two words:

"Which Android?"

There are a metric fuckload of different Android UI designs out there. Almost as many as there are models of Android phone.

HappyTree

To a non-Android user like myself, Android is HTC or Galaxy.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Still Not George on September 25, 2013, 01:51:31 AM
All of this confusion can likely be explained with two words:

"Which Android?"

There are a metric fuckload of different Android UI designs out there. Almost as many as there are models of Android phone.

Not since jelly bean, they tend to look a lot more alike than they did under 2.

Still Not George

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 25, 2013, 07:11:38 AM
Not since jelly bean, they tend to look a lot more alike than they did under 2.
Yeah, but to a non-Android user, "Android" is whatever they saw last. And that's dependent on two things - what people around them use (mostly Galaxy S series Samsungs in the UK IIRC, but it could be almost anything in the US - to a lot of people the Droid X is still the archetypal Android phone) and how long it's been since they saw one.

But even beyond that, the differences in versions can be extraordinary even within the same Android version, particularly in terms of homescreens etc. Even the same phone on different carriers can be unrecognisable.

wasp_f15ting

I got myself a 5s.. crikey this does make a huge difference. Especially in useful apps looking nice. Stock android still better for emailing via the native gmail app. However this is a very nice compromise. The slow mo camera is amazing too.

Replies From View

Chortle!

http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/news/ios-7-waterpoof-iphone-5s-apple-127820

QuoteFake iOS 7 Waterproof Advert Convinces Users To Destroy Their iPhones
Some iPhone users are fooled by a fake advert telling them to drop their iPhones in water

A fake advert claiming that upgrading to iOS 7 makes a compatible iPhone waterproof is causing a number of users to destroy their smartphones by dropping them in water to test the alleged functionality.

The advert, which is mocked up to look as though it was created by Apple, was believed to have originated from the 4chan forum and has spread on social media networks such as Twitter.

The image shows an iPhone 5S with water in the background and the words "update to iOS 7 and become waterproof," and explains how a feature that would require an obvious hardware upgrade can be enabled by a software update.

"In an emergency, a smart-switch will shut off the phone's power supply and corresponding components to prevent any damage to your iPhone's delicate circuitry," it reads, enticing those who might understandably have reservations about dunking their expensive gadget into a pool of liquid by stressing the waterproof functionality is covered by Apple's warranty.

Those who have damaged their "delicate circuitry" have flocked to Twitter to express their anger, while others, some of whom spread the rumour, have mocked those who fell for it, with one Twitter user also suggesting the iPhone 5S could be charged in a microwave.

Apple says iOS 7, which for the avoidance of doubt does not add waterproof protection to the iPhone, has been downloaded 200 million times since it was made available as a free update last week, making it the fastest software upgrade in history.

Replies From View

I'm becoming fairly pissed off with the autocorrect of iOS 7, I must say.  iOS autocorrect has long had problems with apostrophes, sticking them in when they're not wanted (possessive "its" always corrects to "it's" etc. - and it stubbornly keeps putting them back when you attempt to remove them) but this is beyond ridiculous.

I can't see becomes amended to I can' tree

It's long becomes amended to It' sling

There's no need becomes There' son need

Anything I try to type with an apostrophe gets repeatedly fucked in this manner; the above are just the first three things that came to mind.  It's infuriating.  And I'd love to turn autocorrect off, but I can' this (can't hit) the virtual keyboard perfectly enough to do without it.

Just wanted to moan about that.  It's such a big problem for me that I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned it.

niat

That is strange. I've just typed the three sentences you mentioned into my iPhone, with no apostrophes, and it has correctly placed the apostrophes and not fucked up the words at all.

I think someone's got hold of your phone and saved a load of crap into your dictionary.

Replies From View

Well, nobody has done that.

What happens if you type them with the apostrophes?

Seems to me that Apple is punishing people who have the gall to put apostrophes in themselves.

HappyTree

I have never used autocorrect on any device ever. Consequently, everything is properly spelled and typed. Threr is a lssno too' be lerned in taht somewere. Type better!

Replies From View

You must have terrifically slender fingers, sir.  I salute you with my fat "Ian Levine" of a fist.

niat

It works when I put the apostrophes in too.

I tend not to bother doing that any more as autocorrect puts them in for me. The only time it doesn't work correctly is for the possessive "its" where it tries to add the apostrophe. If it does that, I just backspace past it and add the "s" again and it never tries to override what I've typed.

Replies From View

Well[nb]Instantly autocorrected to "we'll" just then, ta.[/nb] then I am proud to have an especially stubborn Apple product.  Individuality ahoy!!

HappyTree

I have a WOMAN's hands, my Lord.

Replies From View

Quote from: niat on October 11, 2013, 11:18:30 AM
That is strange. I've just typed the three sentences you mentioned into my iPhone, with no apostrophes, and it has correctly placed the apostrophes and not fucked up the words at all.

I think someone's got hold of your phone and saved a load of crap into your dictionary.

Update; it's definitely not only me, but doesn't sound like the problem is particularly widespread or discussed:  https://discussions.apple.com/message/23268118#23268118

I reckon it might only be an iPad thing, as that's where I "long press" the exclamation mark key to get the apostrophe.  Weird, anyway.

up_the_hampipe

Anyone know when the next update is? 7.0.3 maybe? This current one has been very buggy for me and other users.