Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:14:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Biggest C**Ts in the recording industry

Started by leighhart, September 24, 2013, 09:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Judge a man on the company he keeps.

Also, once i saw him on his programme and he opened up his waistcoat and he had the words 'boogie' & 'woogie' embroidered on his inner flaps.

Famous Mortimer

Is that Jamiroquai one a real record cover?

shiftwork2

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 01, 2013, 02:12:00 PM
he had the words 'boogie' & 'woogie' embroidered on his inner flaps.

I'd go for 'George' and 'Osborne' on my inner flaps.

momatt

Quote from: Vodka Margarine on October 01, 2013, 01:29:51 PMThe boogie woogie smuggery is grating I'll give you, but he's not a bona fide cunt in my eyes. He's on the right side, is Mr Holland. Later... is still frequently watchable for mainstream television's sole remaining contemporary music outlet.

Dammit, I can't disagree with any of that.  He's more of a twat than a cunt I suppose.

The program itself is fantastic and I am also surprised and delighted that it still exists.  Though I don't love every act that's on, the sheer variety is impressive.  Plus, on iPlayer you can skip any acts that you deem to be a bit shit.
The show should stay the same, but it would be amazing if they replaced Jools with Gilles Peterson (or anyone else that I like).  I know quite a few musos who are put off watching the show entirely just because of the presenter.  The massive egotistical cockface.

mobias

The biggest bunch of wankers are probably Kings of Leon. A seriously unpleasant bunch of trumped up twats. Usually I take stories I hear from inside the music industry with a pinch of salt because its very easy to have a reputation in the music business as a twat when the person in question is actually perfectly ok but there's so many corroborating stories about Kings of Leon twatiness that its hard to ignore. They're simply a bunch of cunts. You do get the impression they don't even like themselves that much. 

Basement Jaxx were another band I heard so many different corroborating twatiness reports about when they were at their hight in the early 00's. That's possibly why their career tanked. They simply never got asked back to festival/shows etc.

I was sad to hear the other day that Arcade Fire are apparently developing a bit of a reputation as prima donnas but then again take my point above. People should be innocent until proven guilty.

George Harrison was mentioned earlier in the thread. I think he was someone who just didn't take fools gladly. A lot of these people have to put up with so much bullshit that its quite often difficult to not come across as twats. Its when people go out of their way to be twats that it all changes. The Kings of Leon have been caught trying to sabotage the equipment of bands they're on the same bill with at festivals. Thats pure cuntishness.

holyzombiejesus

I read somewhere that the guy who drove Hot Chip's tourbus said that they were the most objectionable people he'd ever had to work with. (As an aside, Chris Martin is (well, 'was' to be accurate) supposed to be a really fucking decent person).

momatt

Quote from: mobias on October 01, 2013, 03:00:47 PM
The biggest bunch of wankers are probably Kings of Leon.

I hated them long before it was cool.

Somehow, Chris Martin being really nice makes me hate him even more.

Kane Jones

Quote from: momatt on October 01, 2013, 04:25:01 PM
Somehow, Chris Martin being really nice makes me hate him even more.

Agreed.  It makes him bland, like his music.

the psyche intangible

Quote from: momatt on October 01, 2013, 10:17:06 AM

His recent interview with Francis Black was fairly painful.
I can't find a link, but it's just as well.  I'd put my head through my monitor with rage.

He was harping on about the bands non appearance on the show because of the show not time lining when the band were together, not realising that the band had reformed about 10 years ago. Sadly Francis didn't pick him up on it.

Phil_A

Quote from: Vodka Margarine on October 01, 2013, 01:29:51 PM
I know what you mean. It's sad when you reflect that he was part of something quite exciting and subversive three decades ago.[nb]The Tube not Squeeze, in case you were wondering.[/nb]

The boogie woogie smuggery is grating I'll give you, but he's not a bona fide cunt in my eyes. He's on the right side, is Mr Holland. Later... is still frequently watchable for mainstream television's sole remaining contemporary music outlet. Even if watching it all the way through is a bridge too far, anyone who isn't a complete philistine will at least appreciate its ongoing existence. The ratings have never been stratospheric but the fact that it's lasted 20 years without being dumbed down massively, shunted off to niche channel wilderness or cancelled altogether is something of a small victory.

Oh, I think it has dumbed down. That started about twelve years ago, when they put those tables in and suddenly the whole thing turned into a bit of a lame celeb schmoozefest. I don't think Jools really gives much a shit now either, someone said he buggers off to read the paper while the bands are playing.

I've never forgiven him for being such a dick to McCoy Tyner, someone whom a tenth-rate boogie-merchant like Holland isn't fit to turn pages for. I mean seriously, just stepping up and cutting him off in the middle of a performance! McCoy fucking Tyner! Unbelievably disrespectful. Surely they could've just faded out if the show was overrunning, but no.

Petey Pate

Quote from: Phil_A on October 01, 2013, 11:17:03 PMI've never forgiven him for being such a dick to McCoy Tyner, someone whom a tenth-rate boogie-merchant like Holland isn't fit to turn pages for. I mean seriously, just stepping up and cutting him off in the middle of a performance! McCoy fucking Tyner! Unbelievably disrespectful. Surely they could've just faded out if the show was overrunning, but no.

Tyner's band overran their allocated time and as Elbow (of all people) were scheduled to perform one of their shit songs, Holland had to step in.  I agree that he should have let Tyner carry on regardless, one of the last living jazz legends being dismissed in favour of some button-down culturally insignificant indie shite is disgraceful.  That said, the look on Holland's face as he realises that they're not going to stop is priceless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNQVyj7vVZs

Vodka Margarine

I think this was talked about on an Adam & Joe podcast from about five years ago. Joe did some very funny impression of Holland just cutting in and stopping it all. That's pretty bad form, but I still don't think his innards would spell out the word 'cunt' if you cut him in half.

If anything, he looks deeply uncomfortable about the enormous faux pas he's obviously just been ordered to dish out. I love the way they just carry on playing through the applause, either oblivious to the fact they're being hastily wrapped up or just registering their dissent by pressing on regardless. Or maybe they just really hated Elbow.

Tiny Poster

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 01, 2013, 02:12:00 PM
Judge a man on the company he keeps.

Also, once i saw him on his programme and he opened up his waistcoat and he had the words 'boogie' & 'woogie' embroidered on his inner flaps.

PS come on guys, Paul Gambaccini

El Unicornio, mang

You couldn't pay me enough money to be in the same room as those three.

kngen

Yeah, that's not the look of a man who's happy in his work. He probably had the producer screaming in his ear 'shut those cunts up' while thinking 'please, please don't make me do this' - I bet he still howls to himself in the shower about that moment and I guarantee you he cares a lot more about McCoy Tyner than he does bloody Elbow, because he's never shy in showering praise on the masters of his discipline.

I rarely watch Later or anything else he does - and he definitely is a spiky bastard by all accounts - but he was better at presenting The Tube than Paula Yates, and some of his pissing about with Rowland Rivron was pretty anarchic for the time.

In short, there are worse people around.

Tiny Poster

kngen

NoSleep

I glad we can all agree on something.

That said, Jools Holland is definitely a cunt. When Marvin used to do CaB Radio he once told of his time as an employee of Mr Holland and it wasn't pleasant. To say nothing of his by-the-numbers boogie woogie.

Petey Pate

I remember Jools Holland introducing Grandmaster Flash as the "inventor of scratching".  A fine example of how little research he puts in when talking about artists he doesn't care about.

Vodka Margarine

On the subject of Elbow, I've heard several accounts of how much of an incredibly pleasant fellow Mr Garvey is. He may not be a semi-obscure jazz piano legend but if you look carefully in that clip you can tell how amusing he thinks the situation is. Perhaps file under Chris Martin for jolly nice chap/meh music.

thraxx

I imagine that that French singer who murdered his girlfriend by beating her to death is a bit of a wally.

kngen

Quote from: NoSleep on October 02, 2013, 10:47:56 AM
I glad we can all agree on something.

That said, Jools Holland is definitely a cunt. When Marvin used to do CaB Radio he once told of his time as an employee of Mr Holland and it wasn't pleasant. To say nothing of his by-the-numbers boogie woogie.

I saw an interview with him once where he said he leaned to play the piano by perfectly mimicking his uncle till he was playing two-handed boogie-woogie by the end of the day, which would suggest he's a wee bit Aspergersy. This might suggest why his rote playing hardly sets the world alight, but also why he comes across as such a cunt. The thunderous look on his face when his rehearsal was interrupted by the Reuniting The Band chappy was one of someone who does not like having his routine fucked around with.[nb]That said, I doubt I'd be very happy either - and I only score 26 on Ali G's cousin's test[/nb]

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 01, 2013, 03:11:23 PM
I read somewhere that the guy who drove Hot Chip's tourbus said that they were the most objectionable people he'd ever had to work with.
I almost had a relationship with one of Hot Chip's housemates, but I was a bit of an idiot so it never really got going. Okay, a lot of an idiot. Ah, (NAME REDACTED), you were and presumably remain lovely. I nearly had the chance to meet them all at a barbeque, if you ever need material for an "I nearly met a band once" thread.

Kings of Leon are dicks though. The story about them abandoning a gig in St. Louis because pigeons were shitting on them still makes me laugh.

23 Daves

In terms of industry moguls, it's generally agreed that Clive Davis is a hard individual to top.  My favourite story about him was when John Peel's manager (and music industry mover and shaker in his own right) Clive Selwood found himself being approached to work for him.

Selwood had heard numerous rumours about Davis's psychotic behaviour and was pretty sure he wanted nothing to do with him, but decided to have a meeting anyway to hear him out.  While there, Selwood actually confessed that he'd heard too many bad stories about Clive to really want to work for him.  At this point, Clive's assistant leaned forward to reassure him and said: "Oh that's just not true! Clive is a wonderful man to work for!"
Davis simply smiled wanly and said to his assistant: "There is something you possibly don't understand. When I worked at Columbia, I broke people's health". [nb]And if you're picturing Burns and Smithers at this point, you're not alone.[/nb]

Despite his criticism, Selwood was offered so much money to work for him that he thought he better had discuss it with his wife at home and at least think about it, but while waiting on the runway to get a plane back Davis allegedly conspired to hold the flight up and delay take-off simply to speak to him on the phone to ask if he'd made his mind up yet.  There and then, having observed just what lengths Davis would go to in order to control a situation, Selwood rejected his offer.

There are now conspiracy theories online to suggest that Davis had Whitney Houston bumped off.  Pure nonsense, obviously, but he's apparently such a cold and sinister man that you can understand how these ideas occurred in the first place. 

kngen

I believe Don Arden was quite a rum fellow in his day, too[nb]above and beyond bringing Sharon Osborne into the world[/nb].

grassbath

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 24, 2013, 12:05:58 PM
George Harrison always came across as a whinging, miserable arsehole.

Ohh yeah I became a multimillionaire in my early 20s and was a member of the biggest band of all time...let me just endlessly moan and snipe about that for the next 40 years.

He was only 20 years old when the Beatles' fame went meteoric, and was majorly trodden under creatively while in the band by John, a man he idolised, and Paul, who invited him into the band in the first place. As a price he had to spend his life forever a Beatle, forever associated with and compared with the Beatles. That's not something you can change, it permanently alters your life. I can understand his bitterness. I've even seen it posited that he suffered from PTSD from experiencing such intense fame and scrutiny at such a young age.

CaledonianGonzo

If he's found guilty, yer man from Lostprophets will surely win the thread.

mobias

Quote from: kngen on October 02, 2013, 02:53:29 PM
I believe Don Arden was quite a rum fellow in his day, too[nb]above and beyond bringing Sharon Osborne into the world[/nb].

Yeah he was apparently vile. I think the key difference with someone like him or other known nutters like Ginger Baker is that they never really tried to be nice or perhaps even wanted to be liked. They were what they were. Its different when you've got guys like the Kings of Leon having a public front of pleasantness but are actually just genuinely really unpleasant people.

re Hot Chip. One thing to bare in mind is that sometimes these bands are actually ok people themselves but they just surround themselves with twats. Sometimes its the bands management and hangers on who build up the demanding or petulant reputation. I've seen that happen before.

23 Daves

Quote from: mobias on October 02, 2013, 06:07:09 PM

re Hot Chip. One thing to bare in mind is that sometimes these bands are actually ok people themselves but they just surround themselves with twats. Sometimes its the bands management and hangers on who build up the demanding or petulant reputation. I've seen that happen before.

It seems to happen more often than not.  A lot of bands seem to be very naive about who their friends are and who is just hanging around them waiting for some scraps to fall off the table.  Pete Doherty is a prime fool in this respect, I've noted[nb]Not that I know the man at all, I've just had the misfortune of meeting some of his 'friends'. Still, no harm done, fortunately, not everyone gets off so lightly: http://www.justiceformark.com[/nb], though hardcore drug addicts seldom have stirling dinner party company throughout their phonebooks. 

Really, the music industry - and the business side of it especially - is so riddled with cunts that actually crowning a King or Queen Cunt is likely to be tricky work.  Phil Spector could be a bit testy. 

If we're talking about people who project a pleasant public image while being arseholes in private, then Richard Branson was a right old cunt during the seventies at least.  Famously, he refused to do business with women (if a band or artist had a female manager, he'd just cut her right out of the equation).  Then there's the small matter of him paying his record store staff an absolute pittance, to the extent that one store manager had to actually run out and buy them some food to eat.  The liberal happy hippy businessman image he now projects seems completely at odds with a lot of his behaviour.