Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:57:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Biggest C**Ts in the recording industry

Started by leighhart, September 24, 2013, 09:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McChesney Duntz

I'm pretty sure he has a penis.

(Oh, nice new pager, there.)

phantom_power

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 16, 2021, 07:41:49 AM
Frantz does seem to have a talent for telling a tale which he thinks makes Byrne look shit, but actually reflects badly on himself instead.
Not saying Frantz should be on the 'biggest cunts in music' list, but he'd probably do well on a 'least self-aware musicians' one.

Yeah, saying that Byrne was a control freak on albums that lots of people say are some of the best albums of their era is a bit of a self-own

NoSleep

Quote from: phantom_power on May 16, 2021, 10:12:16 PM
Yeah, saying that Byrne was a control freak on albums that lots of people say are some of the best albums of their era is a bit of a self-own

That's not such a high watermark as it first looks. The usual way to hone music to be widely accepted is to bland it out a bit; make an average product and market the fuck out of it. That's why those albums may sell in droves but most people will probably rate a more distinctive artist as their personal favourite. i.e. You become hugely successful by being lots of people's 10th favourite band. Who knows what they would have sounded like if they hadn't gone through that mill; maybe I'd like Talking Heads better than the "meh" they're currently standing at (started much higher, thanks to Psycho Killer).

willbo

2000s emo/screamo/metalcore band members sound relentlessly shitty from what people slighty younger than me who were teens then (and met them at festivals/signings) say. Like they were the worst of macho alpha male pedos. (not the big ones like My Chemical Romance, the shitty obscure ones)

Kankurette

Were there any other massive nonces in that scene besides Watkins?

Video Game Fan 2000

There was a big exposé article written a few years ago. I don't know if its still up anywhere. I think Rolling Stone picked it up? Management turned a blind eye because touring those bands brought out a tween audience in a time when income from album sales to older music fans was dropping.

Rotten reading. Abuse was rife. You don't have to be a Watkins to everybody to be a Watkins to somebody.

Pink Gregory

there's that thing about fuckboy from bring me the horizon pissing on a fan

willbo

Quote from: Kankurette on June 04, 2021, 03:12:28 PM
Were there any other massive nonces in that scene besides Watkins?

Davie Vanity (who sung in the dance-screamo band "blood on the dance floor") was actually molesting the "consequences will never be the same" girl. I thought that was just a stupid meme/rumour at the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessi_Slaughter_cyberbullying_case

PaulTMA

The two brothers out of Field Music traded in having heads the size of peas for 'certain knowledge' being kept quiet by 6Music gods.  So I've heard

sutin

I've never quite trusted Field Music. They sound so damn clinical, like their music was created using focus groups or sutin. And not that everyone needs to be Marilyn Manson or whatever, but they look way too normal to be in a band.

Also, i'm a huge Field Mice fan and it took me years of seeing their name without mistaking it for Field Mice.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: PaulTMA on June 06, 2021, 12:20:11 AM
The two brothers out of Field Music traded in having heads the size of peas for 'certain knowledge' being kept quiet by 6Music gods.  So I've heard

Eh?

willbo

Lou Reed always sounds like he was an unpleasant person in the 70s (but got healthier later maybe). I love Transformer and Coney Island but his jerkiness puts me off his music a little.

SteveDave

Quote from: PaulTMA on June 06, 2021, 12:20:11 AM

We need more information.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: willbo on June 17, 2021, 07:50:43 AM
Lou Reed always sounds like he was an unpleasant person in the 70s (but got healthier later maybe). I love Transformer and Coney Island but his jerkiness puts me off his music a little.

https://www.michaelcorcoran.net/yes-you-are-a-groupie-and-32-other-things-every-rock-critic-should-know/

"18. Lou Reed doesn't really hate you — he's just using you."

Reed was definitely a jerk, and his relationship with John Cale is a good example of it. He was also one of the most difficult interviewees from the music scene, rivaling people such as Van Morrison or Brian Wilson (for different reasons). He did at some point in his late years some promo tour in Europe, with a series of interviews in Paris. One interviewer for a major French weekly jokingly wrote that he delivered slightly longer grunts to her when he was supposed to answer her questions than to the other reporters.
But part of it was just maintaining his reputation as a bad boy. He could perfectly show some warmth and deliver an interesting answer whenever he wanted, particularly on TV, he just chose most of the time not to, even when the act was getting tired.

phantom_power

I think Michael Corcoran might be a contender

NoSleep

Worse than Waterman? That would be hard.

willbo

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 24, 2013, 12:05:58 PM
George Harrison always came across as a whinging, miserable arsehole.

Mark Radcliffe said in one of his books that George was the most down to earth, easygoing big rock star he'd met. I don't know much else about his personality though.

Ozzy seems to get away with a lot of shit due to his vulnerable childlike personality. The fact that even just a couple of years ago he was cheating on Sharon with a group of women including "a teenager", that he's been in prison for assaulting her, that he talks in his book about carrying date rape drugs around "for pranks" throughout the 80s, all seems to get washed away by the "cutesy old metal dad" spectacles we see him though

Jockice

Quote from: willbo on June 24, 2021, 11:35:46 AM
Mark Radcliffe said in one of his books that George was the most down to earth, easygoing big rock star he'd met. I don't know much else about his personality though.

Ozzy seems to get away with a lot of shit due to his vulnerable childlike personality. The fact that even just a couple of years ago he was cheating on Sharon with a group of women including "a teenager", that he's been in prison for assaulting her, that he talks in his book about carrying date rape drugs around "for pranks" throughout the 80s, all seems to get washed away by the "cutesy old metal dad" spectacles we see him though

Sharon seems much MUCH worse though. Genuinely evil by the sound of it.

willbo

Quote from: Jockice on June 24, 2021, 12:40:18 PM
Sharon seems much MUCH worse though. Genuinely evil by the sound of it.

she says in her own book she abused him and takes the blame for a lot of it. I think she's had a really disturbed life.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: willbo on June 24, 2021, 04:11:57 PM
she says in her own book she abused him and takes the blame for a lot of it. I think she's had a really disturbed life.

I certainly wouldn"t want to grow up under Don Arden

Jockice

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on June 27, 2021, 02:23:38 PM

The star of my worst ever interview. The person who set it up forgot to inform Farlowe, so as far as he was concerned I was just some random stranger ringing him up for a laugh. Then when I've finally convinced him I was real we got to chatting. And realised that we couldn't understand each other's accents. I think I used one actual quote from him in the piece.

Out Of Time is still one of my favourite singles ever though.

shagatha crustie

I never quite saw him in the same way after hearing a road story recounted by one of the members of Motley Crue where Ozzy shat in his hands and smeared it around a hotel room. As rock star bad behaviour goes, pissing on the Alamo and goose-stepping around a record company meeting are admirably boneheaded, but there's something just sordid and not fun about knowing that man would just get so pissed and drugged up he needed to fling his shit about the place.

mobias

I always got the impression with George that he almost certainly was one of the most humble, friendly down to earth rock stars out there, as long you didn't mention the Beatles to him. I think its pretty clear he absolutely hated being famous and all the trappings that come along with it.

As for Ozzy being a bit of a lovable cunt. I think thats kind of known isn't it? The guy always was and still is a mess.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: shagatha crustie on June 27, 2021, 04:47:02 PM
I never quite saw him in the same way after hearing a road story recounted by one of the members of Motley Crue where Ozzy shat in his hands and smeared it around a hotel room. As rock star bad behaviour goes, pissing on the Alamo and goose-stepping around a record company meeting are admirably boneheaded, but there's something just sordid and not fun about knowing that man would just get so pissed and drugged up he needed to fling his shit about the place.

Pretty unpleasant for the hotel staff who had to clean the shit off the hotel room as well.

dr beat

Quote from: mobias on June 27, 2021, 05:04:23 PM
I always got the impression with George that he almost certainly was one of the most humble, friendly down to earth rock stars out there, as long you didn't mention the Beatles to him.

Or tax, it seems.  Although tbf he came across pretty well in Michael Palin's diaries.

Kankurette

I'm sure a lot of music fans would call me a killjoy but yeah, I hate the glorification of dickheads trashing hotels and blowing up toilets and shitting everywhere. Someone has to clean it and it won't be the rich rock stars.

Sharon used to shit in boxes and send it to people who'd upset her. And then there was Would I Lie to You?

shagatha crustie

Quote from: Kankurette on June 27, 2021, 07:02:10 PM
I'm sure a lot of music fans would call me a killjoy but yeah, I hate the glorification of dickheads trashing hotels and blowing up toilets and shitting everywhere. Someone has to clean it and it won't be the rich rock stars.

Me too. I think its a subconscious reason I've never fully clicked with the Stones or the Who. Arsehole mentality.

Elvis Costello sent something unpleasant to David Stubbs after a bad review.