Author Topic: Biggest C**Ts in the recording industry  (Read 29270 times)

Re: Biggest C**Ts in the recording industry
« Reply #360 on: May 16, 2021, 06:55:21 PM »
I'm pretty sure he has a penis.

(Oh, nice new pager, there.)

« Reply #361 on: May 16, 2021, 10:12:16 PM »
Frantz does seem to have a talent for telling a tale which he thinks makes Byrne look shit, but actually reflects badly on himself instead.
Not saying Frantz should be on the 'biggest cunts in music' list, but he'd probably do well on a 'least self-aware musicians' one.

Yeah, saying that Byrne was a control freak on albums that lots of people say are some of the best albums of their era is a bit of a self-own

NoSleep

• Me and the hedgehog, we bursting the tyres all day
    • Space Is The Place
« Reply #362 on: May 17, 2021, 07:09:02 AM »
Yeah, saying that Byrne was a control freak on albums that lots of people say are some of the best albums of their era is a bit of a self-own

That's not such a high watermark as it first looks. The usual way to hone music to be widely accepted is to bland it out a bit; make an average product and market the fuck out of it. That's why those albums may sell in droves but most people will probably rate a more distinctive artist as their personal favourite. i.e. You become hugely successful by being lots of people's 10th favourite band. Who knows what they would have sounded like if they hadn't gone through that mill; maybe I'd like Talking Heads better than the "meh" they're currently standing at (started much higher, thanks to Psycho Killer).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 07:28:59 AM by NoSleep »

« Reply #363 on: June 04, 2021, 10:25:16 AM »
2000s emo/screamo/metalcore band members sound relentlessly shitty from what people slighty younger than me who were teens then (and met them at festivals/signings) say. Like they were the worst of macho alpha male pedos. (not the big ones like My Chemical Romance, the shitty obscure ones)

« Reply #364 on: June 04, 2021, 03:12:28 PM »
Were there any other massive nonces in that scene besides Watkins?

« Reply #365 on: June 04, 2021, 03:17:08 PM »
There was a big exposé article written a few years ago. I don't know if its still up anywhere. I think Rolling Stone picked it up? Management turned a blind eye because touring those bands brought out a tween audience in a time when income from album sales to older music fans was dropping.

Rotten reading. Abuse was rife. You don't have to be a Watkins to everybody to be a Watkins to somebody.

Pink Gregory

• a perfect eggy
« Reply #366 on: June 04, 2021, 03:37:54 PM »
there's that thing about fuckboy from bring me the horizon pissing on a fan

« Reply #367 on: June 04, 2021, 05:17:42 PM »
Were there any other massive nonces in that scene besides Watkins?

Davie Vanity (who sung in the dance-screamo band "blood on the dance floor") was actually molesting the "consequences will never be the same" girl. I thought that was just a stupid meme/rumour at the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessi_Slaughter_cyberbullying_case

PaulTMA

• nu avatar and personal text evry coupla weeks
« Reply #368 on: June 06, 2021, 12:20:11 AM »
The two brothers out of Field Music traded in having heads the size of peas for 'certain knowledge' being kept quiet by 6Music gods.  So I've heard

« Reply #369 on: June 06, 2021, 04:44:12 PM »
I've never quite trusted Field Music. They sound so damn clinical, like their music was created using focus groups or sutin. And not that everyone needs to be Marilyn Manson or whatever, but they look way too normal to be in a band.

Also, i'm a huge Field Mice fan and it took me years of seeing their name without mistaking it for Field Mice.

Brundle-Fly

• "Why don't you do something to help me?"
« Reply #370 on: June 06, 2021, 04:49:24 PM »
The two brothers out of Field Music traded in having heads the size of peas for 'certain knowledge' being kept quiet by 6Music gods.  So I've heard

Eh?

« Reply #371 on: June 17, 2021, 07:50:43 AM »
Lou Reed always sounds like he was an unpleasant person in the 70s (but got healthier later maybe). I love Transformer and Coney Island but his jerkiness puts me off his music a little.

« Reply #372 on: June 17, 2021, 09:32:38 AM »

We need more information.

Ant Farm Keyboard

• 60 percent of the time, it works every time
« Reply #373 on: June 22, 2021, 12:00:49 AM »
Lou Reed always sounds like he was an unpleasant person in the 70s (but got healthier later maybe). I love Transformer and Coney Island but his jerkiness puts me off his music a little.

https://www.michaelcorcoran.net/yes-you-are-a-groupie-and-32-other-things-every-rock-critic-should-know/

"18. Lou Reed doesn’t really hate you — he’s just using you."

Reed was definitely a jerk, and his relationship with John Cale is a good example of it. He was also one of the most difficult interviewees from the music scene, rivaling people such as Van Morrison or Brian Wilson (for different reasons). He did at some point in his late years some promo tour in Europe, with a series of interviews in Paris. One interviewer for a major French weekly jokingly wrote that he delivered slightly longer grunts to her when he was supposed to answer her questions than to the other reporters.
But part of it was just maintaining his reputation as a bad boy. He could perfectly show some warmth and deliver an interesting answer whenever he wanted, particularly on TV, he just chose most of the time not to, even when the act was getting tired.

« Reply #374 on: June 22, 2021, 09:35:30 AM »
I think Michael Corcoran might be a contender

« Reply #375 on: June 23, 2021, 07:15:37 AM »
Mike Stock is an 'orrid cunt.

NoSleep

• Me and the hedgehog, we bursting the tyres all day
    • Space Is The Place
« Reply #376 on: June 23, 2021, 04:04:37 PM »
Worse than Waterman? That would be hard.

« Reply #377 on: Yesterday at 11:35:46 AM »
George Harrison always came across as a whinging, miserable arsehole.

Mark Radcliffe said in one of his books that George was the most down to earth, easygoing big rock star he'd met. I don't know much else about his personality though.

Ozzy seems to get away with a lot of shit due to his vulnerable childlike personality. The fact that even just a couple of years ago he was cheating on Sharon with a group of women including "a teenager", that he's been in prison for assaulting her, that he talks in his book about carrying date rape drugs around "for pranks" throughout the 80s, all seems to get washed away by the "cutesy old metal dad" spectacles we see him though

Jockice

• I really have red hair. And a **********.
« Reply #378 on: Yesterday at 12:40:18 PM »
Mark Radcliffe said in one of his books that George was the most down to earth, easygoing big rock star he'd met. I don't know much else about his personality though.

Ozzy seems to get away with a lot of shit due to his vulnerable childlike personality. The fact that even just a couple of years ago he was cheating on Sharon with a group of women including "a teenager", that he's been in prison for assaulting her, that he talks in his book about carrying date rape drugs around "for pranks" throughout the 80s, all seems to get washed away by the "cutesy old metal dad" spectacles we see him though

Sharon seems much MUCH worse though. Genuinely evil by the sound of it.

« Reply #379 on: Yesterday at 04:11:57 PM »
Sharon seems much MUCH worse though. Genuinely evil by the sound of it.

she says in her own book she abused him and takes the blame for a lot of it. I think she's had a really disturbed life.

Pink Gregory

• a perfect eggy
« Reply #380 on: Yesterday at 04:16:33 PM »
she says in her own book she abused him and takes the blame for a lot of it. I think she's had a really disturbed life.

I certainly wouldn"t want to grow up under Don Arden