Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,454
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:41:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Biggest C**Ts in the recording industry

Started by leighhart, September 24, 2013, 09:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

Quote from: shagatha crustie on June 27, 2021, 07:48:00 PM
Me too. I think its a subconscious reason I've never fully clicked with the Stones or the Who. Arsehole mentality.
"Ooh, Keith Moon flushed cherry bombs down the bog, threw cake everywhere and drove a car into a pool, what a guy!" No, he's being a twat.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Kankurette on June 28, 2021, 12:11:25 AM
"Ooh, Keith Moon flushed cherry bombs down the bog, threw cake everywhere and drove a car into a pool, what a guy!" No, he's being a twat.

Have you read Dear Boy, that pretty much definitive biography of Keith Moon? It's relentlessly grim. The author acknowledges that Moon, when he wasn't being an utter fucking pain in the arse with his 'antics', was actually quite a witty person. You could probably have an amusing conversation with him until he became preoccupied with an audience who were expecting him to demolish a grandfather clock and shove some fish up his arse.

He was an alcoholic. A drug addict. He clearly suffered from undiagnosed mental health issues. He hit his wife and terrified his child. Keith Moon was no hero. He was a sad, ill, abusive fuck-up. Still, what a character!

Kankurette

No, and my mum is a recovering alcoholic so I'm not sure I want to. I can't read my biographies of Catatonia now because they're full of stupid wacky shit Cerys did while she was drunk off her tits and people going on about how awesome she was when the woman was a raging fucking alcoholic and drug addict. She's lucky she isn't dead. Call me a fun sponge but addiction is less fun to read about when you've had to tell your own mother to get in the fucking shower, or race around the house trying to find hidden bottles while you're waiting for the paramedics. At least she wasn't violent, and she's clean now but it did change my outlook on drugs and alcohol.

And yeah, loads of those wild and crazy rock stars treated their wives and children like dirt. The Beatles, for instance, especially John.

famethrowa

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on June 28, 2021, 12:01:22 AM
Elvis Costello sent something unpleasant to David Stubbs after a bad review.

A copy of Almost Blue?

willbo

What about John Bonham of Led Zep? I've read bios that make him sound like he was some insane bull just smashing into rooms and assaulting anyone who looked at him. But then I've heard and read interviews with him that made him sound like a really thoughtful, delicate, gentle person.

Kankurette

Quote from: willbo on June 28, 2021, 08:18:30 AMsome insane bull just smashing into rooms and assaulting anyone who looked at him
That sounds more like Peter Grant.

LORD BAD VIBE

Bonham grew to hate the lengthy tours Zep did through most of the 70s. He wanted to be home on his farm with his family. So when was on tour he'd take out his frustrations by getting massively pissed and assaulting anybody (usually some poor teenage groupie or a roadie) that came into his orbit.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Only violent story in music I like is the one about pink floyd apparently sending a boxing glove on a spring to a journalist who gave them a bad review. Probably bollocks.

But yeah like others have said I've always hated stories about rooms getting trashed etc by people who are either obviously not well as a result of/made worse by drink or drugs, or simply overgrown children.

Custard

I remember reading that Kele from Bloc Party is a knob, especially at the height of their success (which admittedly was short lived). Not sure if he's a cunt, mind. Unless anyone can confirm?

A lot of music journos have said Brian from Placebo is a dreadful cunt, so I reckon he counts

mobias

Quote from: Kankurette on June 27, 2021, 07:02:10 PM
I'm sure a lot of music fans would call me a killjoy but yeah, I hate the glorification of dickheads trashing hotels and blowing up toilets and shitting everywhere. Someone has to clean it and it won't be the rich rock stars.

I think as you get older you definitely become far more cynical of the clichéd rock and roll excesses and having a little bit of first hand experience of such behaviour I can safely say its all jolly good fun until someone gets hurt, or indeed has to clean up the vomit. I remember reading The Dirt thinking yeah this is all highly readable and entertaining but thank fuck I don't know any of these people.

However at the opposite end of the spectrum to Motley Crue is probably a band like Coldplay. I have it on very good authority that being on tour with Coldplay is as boring as you can imagine it would be.

mobias

I think the biggest cunts in the recording industry that I've heard about are probably Kings of Leon. Horrible, horrible people. Their cuntery knows no bounds by the sounds of things. Lifetime bans from both Glastonbury and Coachella for sabotaging other acts gear, allegedly.....

Quote from: Shameless Custard on June 28, 2021, 02:41:58 PM

A lot of music journos have said Brian from Placebo is a dreadful cunt, so I reckon he counts

You can take the man out of Dundee but you can't take Dundee out of the man.

Kankurette

Quote from: mobias on June 28, 2021, 03:27:06 PM
I think as you get older you definitely become far more cynical of the clichéd rock and roll excesses and having a little bit of first hand experience of such behaviour I can safely say its all jolly good fun until someone gets hurt, or indeed has to clean up the vomit. I remember reading The Dirt thinking yeah this is all highly readable and entertaining but thank fuck I don't know any of these people.

However at the opposite end of the spectrum to Motley Crue is probably a band like Coldplay. I have it on very good authority that being on tour with Coldplay is as boring as you can imagine it would be.
That reminds me, didn't the bloke out of Keane turn out to be an alkie? Always the ones you least suspect.

Space are a happy medium now that they've grown out of the coke/shagging fans phase, although Tommy did do it when they played Blackpool with the Real People. Those naughty Griffiths boys gave it to him.

ETA: also heard Molko is a tool and I read a spectacularly awkward interview with him and Placebo in the NME back in the 90s.

Bently Sheds

Bruce Dickinson - voted for Brexit & now bitching about how hard it's going to be for him to do European tours now & the government should "do something about it". They did something about it Bruce: They implemented the break from the European Union that you fucking wanted, you airplane cunt.

Spiteface

I remember reading that Kele from Bloc Party is a knob, especially at the height of their success (which admittedly was short lived). Not sure if he's a cunt, mind. Unless anyone can confirm?

Always struck me as one.

Kankurette

Quote from: Bently Sheds on June 28, 2021, 11:24:45 PM
Bruce Dickinson - voted for Brexit & now bitching about how hard it's going to be for him to do European tours now & the government should "do something about it". They did something about it Bruce: They implemented the break from the European Union that you fucking wanted, you airplane cunt.
I cannot get my head round this. You voted for it, Bruce. This is what you literally voted for.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Kankurette on June 29, 2021, 12:56:35 AM
I cannot get my head round this. You voted for it, Bruce. This is what you literally voted for.

No, he voted to have the foreigns put back in their place and the whip hand restored to the white man. The rest of it was all scare mongering.

Tokyo van Ramming

According to him I'm a racist because of where I live. He's definitely a twat.

Kankurette

mobias

Quote from: Bently Sheds on June 28, 2021, 11:24:45 PM
Bruce Dickinson

He's meant to be an amiable enough guy but yeah its long been known he's a UKIP/Farage supporter. A lot of rockers, certainly of his generation, are to varying degrees right wing it seems.

thundarrshirt

Quote from: Kankurette on June 28, 2021, 03:49:54 PM
That reminds me, didn't the bloke out of Keane turn out to be an alkie? Always the ones you least suspect.
Disappointed by googling for corroboration: he did go to The Priory for a spell but did not, in fact, do so cos he was smashing back port by the bottle.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: thundarrshirt on June 29, 2021, 03:56:41 PM
Disappointed by googling for corroboration: he did go to The Priory for a spell but did not, in fact, do so cos he was smashing back port by the bottle.
We need a Musicians With No Sense of Humour thread.

markburgle

Quote from: Psmith on May 16, 2021, 09:47:06 AM
Has anyone mentioned a Mr Smith of Salford?
Was he a ripping off type of a cunt  or just someone with attitude who couldn't take his ale ?

He was intermittently a ripoff cunt, apparently. Steve Hanley's autobiography has a story where one quarter Smiffy hands him and Craig Scanlon cheques for "a 3rd of what we've been used to getting", as he apologetically explains that Brix's alimony bill has arrived and "the publishing from the album will have to go on that". Which both suggests that usually they did get a share, and that it could also be snatched away with no notice.

There's another story where, after the band have gently prodded MES about being underpaid for songwriting, he presents them a contract guaranteeing the writers of the music a certain percentage, only for the next album to credit most of the music to Smith.

Jim Watts complained on the Fall forum once about how he was credited for one of his songs on the sleeve of the record but it was the drummer who was getting paid for it.

Shit Good Nose

Constant not-so jokey jokes from Mark and Lard about Lard never being paid as well.

cosmic-hearse

Not sure how much of it was elitist posing, but Alan Horne of Postcard Records & Edwyn Collins (in his youth at least) both came across in interviews as truly cruel & spiteful individuals.