Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:46:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Biggest C**Ts in the recording industry

Started by leighhart, September 24, 2013, 09:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

If it gets to the stage where you're writing the melody for a song, does it not enter the mind of a musician to document it in some way beforehand, or get a contract? Unless he was working under some "I own all your ideas" contract, or something (which is a stupid thing to sign in the first place).

Although BDB is undoubtedly a c**t of the highest magnitude.

Tiny Poster

Quote from: phantom_power on September 25, 2013, 02:13:47 PM
I think we have our answer. Your mate is the biggest cunt in the recording industry

After Gambo, yes

NoSleep

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 25, 2013, 02:19:39 PM
If it gets to the stage where you're writing the melody for a song, does it not enter the mind of a musician to document it in some way beforehand, or get a contract? Unless he was working under some "I own all your ideas" contract, or something (which is a stupid thing to sign in the first place).

That kind of thing happens all the time. Some 8-bit guys worked with Beck and got fuck all credit for co-composition. Someone else I know (a jazz pianist) worked on a major project where he contributed considerably and received only credit as the pianist despite this. He even had tapes of the sessions, recording the process in the control room, etc.

daf

NoSleep

Doomy Dwyer

Quote from: daf on September 25, 2013, 02:38:05 PM

Just look at the breadth of Rick Parfitt's left thigh. When you see it you'll literally shit brix.

That's certainly no Pictures of Matchstick Men. Doesn't quite work. Fuck it.

And post.

Spiteface

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 24, 2013, 01:21:20 PM
Jamiroquai.
Oh, and also David Van Day for stealing the Bucks Fizz name from poor old Bobby G.

That "Trouble at the Top" documentary on the BBC years ago is a weirdly fascinating look at the Buck's Fizz/Van Day fiasco.

I quite like his idea of modernising the skirt-ripping bit of "Making Your Mind Up" by making the two girls in the group open their tops, revealing skimpy bras underneath, because he felt the 90's were "The Boob Age"

THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENED.

NoSleep

Thanks Spiteface, I was looking for a link for the entire show and could only find the excerpt I posted earlier.

Here's a link to view from the start http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UraAPH4HD7g

Marissa

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 25, 2013, 02:19:39 PM

The day I put the only discernible melodic content in a top ten hit I thought it was a triumph because I'd got the guy to pay for my travel card. It often tends to be, 'well we're all going to get paid soon.' 'this will be fantastic exposure for you'.

If you're already living hand to mouth, occasionally homeless etc you have no bargaining power. Going on strike just leaves you with hundred per cent of nothing. And if you are assertive (ie would like to stop starving) you're 'difficult', 'attitude problem' etc

Then there's creative bankruptcy and...

Ray Davis claimed an enormous slice of my 'co writer's' career forever, just to get him out of a seventies publishing deal. He won't give it back, even though he can't possibly need it. He may be one of the biggest misers ever.

Proud to have backed David Van Day (once) and also had a longer recording & performing association with two sevenths of the new King Crimson. One of whom toured Italy with Iggy Pop when he was coming off heroin, which loosened his blocked bowels, necessitating a quick comfort stop behind an amp. Live tv at its best.   

23 Daves

Another famous case of non-crediting is for the saxophone player Bob Holness Raphael Ravenscroft on "Baker Street".  He claims he wrote the famous sax melody line, but this is disputed by some who argue that Rafferty had already penned the riff long before. 

I get the impression this happens a lot, actually, and it's about where the boundaries get drawn.  Most bands tend to jam or riff around ideas, and on occasion one member may come up with a very prominent idea that gets used.  It's for this reason that bands like Pulp have the right idea by attributing songwriting credits to all band members rather than just one in particular. 

daf

Quote from: 23 Daves on September 25, 2013, 04:07:57 PM
Another famous case of non-crediting is for the saxophone player Bob Holness Raphael Ravenscroft on "Baker Street".  He claims he wrote the famous sax melody line, but this is disputed by some who argue that Rafferty had already penned the riff long before. 

Here's the demo (available on a recent deluxe CD edition of City to City) with the sax part played on guitar -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bcXRkMs0fs

Does sound better with the sax, but I think the melody is pretty much worked out by Gerry.

doppelkorn

Quote from: Spiteface on September 25, 2013, 03:22:55 PM
That "Trouble at the Top" documentary on the BBC years ago is a weirdly fascinating look at the Buck's Fizz/Van Day fiasco.

I quite like his idea of modernising the skirt-ripping bit of "Making Your Mind Up" by making the two girls in the group open their tops, revealing skimpy bras underneath, because he felt the 90's were "The Boob Age"

THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENED.

Love how he phrases that as well:

Quote...and although we didn't do the skirt ripping routine at that time, we did this 90s thing. We thought - I felt we were in the boob age.

Completely deadpan.

And of course that sci-fi staple, the punk pig.

NoSleep

I get the impression this happens a lot, actually, and it's about where the boundaries get drawn.  Most bands tend to jam or riff around ideas, and on occasion one member may come up with a very prominent idea that gets used.  It's for this reason that bands like Pulp have the right idea by attributing songwriting credits to all band members rather than just one in particular.

I've heard that Raphael Ravenscroft continued to work with Rafferty (live), but refused to play that line again as it had been an improvisation (of his) and he determined to play it differently each performance.

Producers and artists tend to want to take all the credit for merely saying "yes, that works; keep that".

daf

Quote from: NoSleep on September 25, 2013, 04:29:44 PM
I've heard that Raphael Ravenscroft continued to work with Rafferty (live), but refused to play that line again as it had been an improvisation (of his)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bcXRkMs0fs

NoSleep

Well that's another myth exploded by the internet.

Marissa

Quote from: NoSleep on September 25, 2013, 04:29:44 PM
I've heard that Raphael Ravenscroft continued to work with Rafferty (live), but refused to play that line again as it had been an improvisation (of his) and he determined to play it differently each performance.

Producers and artists tend to want to take all the credit for merely saying "yes, that works; keep that".

"Producers and artists tend to want to take all the credit for merely saying "yes, that works; keep that"."

THIS plus one million.

I heard that there's a David Van Day programme where he ends up doing a solo performance of 'Make Your Mind Up' at some military base. Having pissed everyone else off on the way to this Twilight of the God(s)? Would love to see that.

Not many know that Mr Raphael Ravenscroft is the son of Trevor Ravenscroft who wrote the seminal work on Nazi Occultism Spear of Destiny.

If David Van Day were successful he would be worse than Hitler, and one of the biggest cunts in the recording industry.

Custard

For more prime Van Day fallings out, check out his argument with fellow 80s pop star Sonia from some reality talent show a few years back. Can't search YT myself, as I'm on my phone, but it's good. Sonia wins, I'd say

NoSleep

David Van Day has run for a Council seat on a Conservative ticket, if everything else about him didn't already scream "cunt". Although it's fun watching him torment the Bucks Fizz camp.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Did Pulp also credit the person who wrote the riff for "Gloria" by Laura Brannigan on 'Disco 2000'?

(I don't think Pulp are cunts, I hasten to add.)

daf

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 25, 2013, 05:40:21 PM
Did Pulp also credit the person who wrote the riff for "Gloria" by Laura Brannigan on 'Disco 2000'?

Umberto Tozzi and Giancarlo Bigazzi

Umberto's original version :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYL_61r217Q

Not forgetting Mark and Lard's Blackmail Corner - 'Common People' :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thSgdsWLe4E

Full song - Mecano 'Los Amantes' (1988) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRlot9Anzbg

as they say - ¡Que carajo! ¡Es clavado a common people de Pulp!

Noodle Lizard

Anyone said Eric Clapton yet?  Yeah, him.

momatt

Quote from: NoSleep on September 25, 2013, 02:38:03 PM
That kind of thing happens all the time. Some 8-bit guys worked with Beck and got fuck all credit for co-composition. Someone else I know (a jazz pianist) worked on a major project where he contributed considerably and received only credit as the pianist despite this. He even had tapes of the sessions, recording the process in the control room, etc.

Why do they stand for it?

I'm pretty sure Money Mark wrote and played the main riff for Beck's Where It's At.  He only gets a very brief and vague mention in the Odelay liner notes.

BDB's cuntery is saddening, his early EPs are amazing.

NoSleep

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on September 25, 2013, 07:51:26 PM
Anyone said Eric Clapton yet?  Yeah, him.

He's just a bitter muso. Never got over Hendrix wiping the floor with him when invited onstage to jam at a Cream gig.

ziggy starbucks

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 24, 2013, 01:21:20 PM
Also, there's that horrible selfish cunt Dave Bulmer who owns the rights to loads of great folk albums but refuses to issue or license them, meaning that stuff like Nic Jones' early albums remain unavailable.

EDIT: I have just read that Dave Bulmer has died. RIP Dave.

its a pity many of the folkies he shafted are dead as well. Martin Carthy said that he wanted people to 'illegally' download Bright Phoebus because it was the only way the album could be heard[nb]apart from the handful of original vinyl pressings in existence[/nb]. Bulmer appeared in a radio 2 documentary about the Watersons to counter some of Mike Waterson's accusations and its uncomfortable listening.

Hopefully now Nic Jones and the other surviving acts can see their lost albums re-discovered

NoSleep

Quote from: momatt on September 25, 2013, 07:55:46 PM
Why do they stand for it?

Simple. It's all "hands on" with the artist making all the moves to work with you and communicate before the session; your new best friend. Once it's over, all you're able to get through to is management.

NoSleep

Quote from: ziggy starbucks on September 25, 2013, 08:00:27 PM
its a pity many of the folkies he shafted are dead as well. Martin Carthy said that he wanted people to 'illegally' download Bright Phoebus because it was the only way the album could be heard[nb]apart from the handful of original vinyl pressings in existence[/nb]. Bulmer appeared in a radio 2 documentary about the Watersons to counter some of Mike Waterson's accusations and its uncomfortable listening.

Hopefully now Nic Jones and the other surviving acts can see their lost albums re-discovered

Mentioning Martin Carthy reminds me. Paul Simon. Learned an old english folk tune from Carthy (Scarborough Fair), then copyrighted it in his own name.

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: NoSleep on September 25, 2013, 05:29:46 PM
David Van Day has run for a Council seat on a Conservative ticket, if everything else about him didn't already scream "cunt". Although it's fun watching him torment the Bucks Fizz camp.

If you check out the Bucks Fizz Wikipedia page, the legal torment still hadn't finished once DVD relinquished the Bucks Fizz name. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucks_Fizz_(band)#The_Original_Bucks_Fizz_.2F_OBF

I can't think of another band so insignificant but with so many legal issues.

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: NoSleep on September 25, 2013, 08:04:49 PM
Mentioning Martin Carthy reminds me. Paul Simon. Learned an old english folk tune from Carthy (Scarborough Fair), then copyrighted it in his own name.

Also apparently didn't credit Los Lobos for a song on Graceland.