Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:36:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'Arguments' That Have Lost Their Meaning Through Overuse

Started by TJ, August 03, 2004, 09:54:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm not mad keen on 'middle class' being used as an insult or a dismissive - particularly as it's often employed by people who regularly rally against 'isms yet fail to see the hypocrisy of singling out another group of people to dismiss.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

The 'If you had children you'd understand' one enrages me too, particularly when used by radio phone-in hosts. Whenever someone comes up with an interesting and challenging opinion on paedophilia, there's a pause before the host says 'You've got kids have you?' and dramatically cuts them off.

The implication is that parents have a better understanding of a subject like paedophilia because they view the subject with more horror (picturing their child being a viction, etc). But surely the opposite argument is that non-parents are more inclined to have a clear, rational, non-hysterical approach to the problem? It's all bollocks. You can be stupid on either side of the fence.

'Daily Mail' as a term of abuse annoys me, because it suggests the Mail is the only bad newspaper out there. I *hate* it when people sneer at the Mail but defend the Sun.

We should have a thread about pet hates which are cliched yet somehow still all-too-real in 2004. Such as:

* People walking down the street talking on mobiles but not having the decency to look furtive and embarrassed. Cos they're so busy aren't they? Also, people using them while paying for goods in shops, like the shop assistant isn't a human being.
* People pulling 'I'm an observer on life's roundabout' scowl and scrutinising the scenery while drinking bottled water. Like they're fucking Nick Drake. Stop it. And you're not 'dehydrated' - you're THIRSTY.
* Announcements at train stations which tell you 'This is a train station - please walk using your legs' INCREDIBLY LOUDLY.
* People who laugh out loud at cinema adverts
* Men who throw bunches of keys at you rather than just passing them to you.
* The TV series Grumpy Old Men. Oh, hang on, etc.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Actually, the worst phrase has to be 'conspiracy theory'. Especially when the theory in question sounds quite interesting and completely plausible.

Incredible Monkey Doctor

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"
I have no idea how to programme computer games

Bullshit. I have a copy of your Tron game, so you blatantly do.

However in the context of the topic, comparing aything to being Nazi has gone well out the window.

I'm pissed so won't elaborate further.

thomasina

I had a paedo-hunting taxi driver pull the 'if you were a parent' thing on me last week.

TD: They need to be hung
T: I don't think anyone should have the right to kill anyone else.
TD: Got any kids?
T:Yes
TD: Well how would you feel if someone did that to your kid?
T: I'd want to kill them.  I wouldn't exactly be rational and balanced about it would I?  That's what we've got laws for.
TD: £5.50 please
T: Ta

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Incredible Monkey Doctor"
Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"
I have no idea how to programme computer games
Bullshit. I have a copy of your Tron game, so you blatantly do.

Ha, my uptake of new programming knowledge stopped at Sinclair BASIC in 1989, all my VB programmes were written with GOTOs, GOSUBs and RETURNS, making my IT teacher tear his hair out.

Code today just makes me want to cry.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"Code today just makes me want to cry.
<<sympathises>>

Still Not George

Quote from: "jutl"...it is indeed exactly what you meant. I can see why you might want to argue with someone who says that - they're likely to be letting their emotions cloud their judgement. Still, what you are saying is just as reactionary and closed-minded - ie that  anyone who tries to point out that parenthood has a profound effect on one's outlook is a priori an idiot with no point to make who deserves to be 'shot down'.

That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that "If you had children you'd understand" cannot be allowed to stand as an argument.
You see, as far as I'm concerned  the gist of IYHCYU isn't that parenthood has a profound effect on one's outlook, it's an implicit accusation that by simply not being a parent you suddenly don't have sufficient evidence to have an opinion on a specific topic. Which is obviously bollocks for almost any argument, and especially bollocks with regard to topics where it is shown time and time again that parents rarely manage anything resembling objectivity; namely, anything involving child death or abuse.

So, taking the above into account, there's an extended implication that by being objective about such issues you're in some way automatically wrong, since if you were a parent you'd not be able to maintain such objectivity, as you'd understand. We've all seen it on this forum and elsewhere, so I fail to see why it's such a problem. Ultimately IYHCYU is not in any way a valid argument, and must be "shot down" (a phrase I take to mean "ripped apart in debate") whenever it is used. If you wish to consider that a smug and intolerant standpoint then so be it.

gazzyk1ns

Heh, the chatroom/IM conversations of the future:

Bill: ROFL
Will:w00t!
Bill: :D
Will: OMG!
BIll: WTF!?
Will: IYHCYU.