Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,464
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:31:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Godzilla (2014)

Started by Replies From View, October 04, 2013, 06:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

There's a new Godzilla one of these films.

A trailer popped up for it today and was then taken down:

http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/films/the-godzilla-trailer-lands

QuoteTHE GODZILLA TRAILER LANDS

04 Oct 2013

Now, there's a very high chance that this might not be up for very long. The trailer for the much-anticipated reboot of Godzilla has cropped up online but not through official channels.

So, hurry up and watch this pretty impressive look at one of next year's biggest movies before it disappears. Unless it's all part of some viral campaign we don't get...

The film stars Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Bryan Cranston, Elizabeth Olsen and Juliette Binoche. Weirdest blockbuster cast ever. In this sneak peek though, all you see is lizard.

Godzilla hits cinemas May 14th, 2014

UPDATE: We've been asked to take the trailer down. Sad face. With tears streaming down.

That's that really.  Anybody fussed about this?

spock rogers

This one works. For now.
http://vimeo.com/76160689

Now that's how to do a teaser trailer.

kitsofan34

Following his superb debut, "Monsters", I have very high hopes for Gareth Edward's followup.

The screenwriters past credits seem a bit dodgy though.

madhair60

Quote from: spock rogers on October 04, 2013, 10:31:35 PM
This one works. For now.
http://vimeo.com/76160689

Now that's how to do a teaser trailer.

Complete and total shit.  SUPER SERIOUS MASSIVE LIZARD.  Megalon and Jet Jaguar or fuck it.  I don't want Gozilla Begins.  I don't want Godzilla of Steel.  I want DESTROY ALL MONSTERS and I want it FUN and not BROODING because it's A MASSIVE FUCKING GECKO

The original Godzilla movie is fucking shit.  The American Godzilla is genuinely superior and that film is fuck-rot.  This needs to be fun and awesome, not 9/11

up_the_hampipe

I loved the Matthew Broderick Godzilla from 1998. I was a kid back then and I watched it on VHS everyday. I don't want to watch it now because I might weep at how terrible it is.

This new one looks like it's going to follow the same vain as all the rebooted stuff Hollywood is jizzing out lately.

Thomas

I was big on the 1998 American effort, too. I went to bed and cried about Godzilla's death, reenacting it over and over again using a toy of the great lizard until my mum came to see what all the noise was about.

If this new film doesn't generate the same reaction, it'll be a thumbs-down from me.

I too was young enough to be suckered in by the charms of Godzilla's advertising juggernaut in '97. But even at such an impressionable age I knew something was seriously up.

For balance I liked both the singles released to promote Emmerich's sordid little picture.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I find it rather hilarious how people can get so stressed about a movie where a big lizard terrorises a city. Chill the fuck out, or if you do want to bust a vessel ask someone why the film is being unnecessarily remade again, and why it's potentially symptomatic of a truly moribund trough the action/fantasy genre is in.

madhair60

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 05, 2013, 11:45:23 PM
I find it rather hilarious how people can get so stressed about a movie where a big lizard terrorises a city.

"Kaiju" *Snort*

alan nagsworth

Saw it described as a "character-driven disaster movie" the other day.

Fuck off.

Fuck off.

Fuck off.

Unless "character-driven" somehow means all the characters get driven into the rubble and die in the wake of a fucking massive lizard, then

then

fuck off.

SteveDave

Is Godzooki in this one?

Replies From View

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 05, 2013, 11:45:23 PM
I find it rather hilarious how people can get so stressed about a movie where a big lizard terrorises a city. Chill the fuck out, or if you do want to bust a vessel ask someone why the film is being unnecessarily remade again, and why it's potentially symptomatic of a truly moribund trough the action/fantasy genre is in.

They're probably hoping to get a new massive Godzilla franchise going, and consider the Geoff Emmerick movie a bit too old for their purposes.

Wasn't there a big old kick-off about the American 1997 version of Godzilla being not the right shape or something?  It was a Godzilla that was hot off the hooves of Jurassic Park and I presume this new one will be closer to the Japanese design.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: SteveDave on October 06, 2013, 11:32:26 AM
Is Godzooki in this one?

No, but his Jamaican cousin Bunzooti is.

Spiteface

Quote from: Replies From View on October 06, 2013, 11:38:50 AM
They're probably hoping to get a new massive Godzilla franchise going, and consider the Geoff Emmerick movie a bit too old for their purposes.

Wasn't there a big old kick-off about the American 1997 version of Godzilla being not the right shape or something?  It was a Godzilla that was hot off the hooves of Jurassic Park and I presume this new one will be closer to the Japanese design.

Yeah, a lot of purists hated the redesign of Godzilla in that one. In fact, there's a monster in "Godzilla Final Wars" that is based off that one, who pretty much gets his arse kicked in seconds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIcExdpsEcQ

There were even some a whjile back pissed off that this new one wasn't all Bloke in a suit on a miniature set.  I've got no problem with how this new one looks. If I want the old-school look, they still use it in Super Sentai/Power Rangers, and I'm still fine with it.

I think the plan going forward, is that this is the start of a new Godzilla franchise and providing this does well enough, the sequels will see the likes of Mothra, Rodan etc.

Just give me proper region 2 releases of the old films again though, and I'd be happy with them. Only ones I can find are the BFI release of the 1954 original, and a polish version of "Final Wars"

Buttress

Still uh waiting for that Cloverfield sequel[nb]No really, I liked that interpretation of bigass monster fucks shit up for everybody[/nb]

Deeper Underground by Jamiroquai is one of my guilty pleasures.

Not Puff Daddy Come With Me though, give me some credit.

Hated  the film.

Mini

Quote from: thecuriousorange on October 07, 2013, 03:49:28 PM
Deeper Underground by Jamiroquai is one of my guilty pleasures.

There's nothing guilty about it.

I loved Monsters so I'm excited about this.

phantom_power

Quote from: alan nagsworth on October 06, 2013, 01:31:06 AM
Saw it described as a "character-driven disaster movie" the other day.

Fuck off.

Fuck off.

Fuck off.

Unless "character-driven" somehow means all the characters get driven into the rubble and die in the wake of a fucking massive lizard, then

then

fuck off.

So now we are complaining about a film attempting what we always criticise modern films for neglecting? With this sort of film you have to build the characters up so you give a shit when they start dying. That is what happens in the great examples of the genre. It isn't taking it too seriously, it is taking it exactly seriously enough. Being character-driven doesn't exclude it being a crazy monster smack-down in the second half of the film

Tiny Poster

The best disaster films are character-driven, otherwise you end up with a Man Of Steel scenario, where the world is in mortal peril but you just can't give a fuck.

madhair60

Godzilla films aren't supposed to be good, they're supposed to be fuck me look at the monsters mate.

Replies From View

Just get a bumper book of dinosaurs mate.  Both good and fuck me look at the monsters.

Spiteface

up_the_hampipe

Looks pretty heavy for a lizard flick.

checkoutgirl

Man alive!! I think that looks really good. You've got Cranston and Mary Kate Olsen and that takes care of the acting side of it. It's got moody music and looks stunning. The trailer didn't give too much away and has me intrigued about the film, maybe enough to actually go to see it.

The only way is down.

Moribunderast

I agree, that's a great trailer. This was directed by Gareth Edwards, who directed Monsters and I thought the effects in that were top-notch and the atmosphere was great so I have faith he could pull off a good version of Godzilla. Having Cranston and Elisabeth Olsen (come on, checkoutgirl - don't confuse her with her mucky sisters) on-board can only help. My anticipation for this film is up. Cue Puff Daddy rapping over Kashmir to bring me down again.

Came on here wanting to post on the 'great trailers' thread, didn't see this one here.
Just going to copy and paste what I said there.

I really like the billowing dust from the destroyed buildings covering him in that final shot, because if this is going to be played as something tense and horrific, it'd be best to keep as much as the monster in your imagination.
Which is tricky, since Godzilla's an astonishingly massive reptile monster.
If there's always that dust of destroyed buildings around, it could be incredibly claustrophobic and tense, like he could pop out at any moment despite the comical nature of his size.

And just the choice of having those flares attached to all the parachuting soldiers. Just adds a really nice visual element and some colour. It definitely looks quite nice.

Johnny Textface

Yeah that looks really good. Is that the music from 2001?

Blumf

It definitely was. But who cares guys? 2001 is so old now nobody cares.