Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:04:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Godzilla (2014)

Started by Replies From View, October 04, 2013, 06:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Puce Moment on August 27, 2014, 04:07:46 PM
Interesting, my impression is that it did well in the first week because of marketing and hype, but word-of-mouth and critical reviews meant people avoided it in favour of other big summer releases.

On the opening weekend my Facebook feed was almost full of people saying how shit it was, many of them American. Perhaps just my skewed impression of how the film performed.

Yeah, that was rather my impression as well, although I did hear quite a few people say that they thought it was worth seeing at the cinema but only once. I was quite surprised to read the American reviews – particularly as this film had been tipped to bomb horribly. As I say it did well overseas and that was in spite of some fairly negative buzz.

There was a massive marketing drive, which could have backfired but it's really seemed to have work. The sequel isn't due for a few years so regardless of what actually is produced, they have time for negative opinions to dissipate and build up another marketing drive.

Replies From View

Quote from: Ignatius_S on August 27, 2014, 04:29:56 PM
The sequel isn't due for a few years so regardless of what actually is produced, they have time for negative opinions to dissipate and build up another marketing drive.

Yeah but what could a sequel actually be but the same thing again?  I don't actually get it.

Maybe the audience will have forgotten the film so much that the producers of the sequel could just put out the first film again in cinemas and call it 'Godzilla 2'.

Onken

When does this dog bit happen?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Replies From View on August 27, 2014, 04:46:20 PM
Yeah but what could a sequel actually be but the same thing again?  I don't actually get it...

How many sequels are drastically different to the original - particularly with many genre films?

Although there may be diminishing returns, there have been a fair few franchises that serve up pretty much the same meal but there's public appetite.

Spiteface

Frankly, if after 60 years people don't know what a Godzilla movie is, fuck 'em.

Replies From View

Quote from: Spiteface on August 27, 2014, 05:32:10 PM
Frankly, if after 60 years people don't know what a Godzilla movie is, fuck 'em.

You sort of need 'em coming to the cinema though if you want more of these movies to be made.

Replies From View

small_world

Right before the huge wave submerges an entire street, yet a lucky family manage to escape in to cafe that has waterproof doors.

Seriously, how shit was this movie?

While making the monsters look big, they completely forgot that the earth is fucking huge.
Time and space were completely overlooked.
Coincidence drove the plot and no matter where the monsters when, one of the main cast was within 12ft.
Really couldn't get away with it.

How many bomb disposal people have experience of working on nuclear weapons, especially after their first tour?
Was he trained as a parachutist on the same tour?

What a heap of shit

NoSleep

Quote from: small_world on August 31, 2014, 01:51:19 AM

How many bomb disposal people have experience of working on nuclear weapons, especially after their first tour?

Where's the fun without the "Which wire do I cut? This one? No, this one."? But with the twist that it's nuclear.

Noodle Lizard

The only way this wouldn't be shit is if it had been directed by Roland Emmerich, in which case you could say "Well, it's not as bad he usually is".  But it wasn't, so it is.

MuteBanana

When the killed off the biggest actor in the world at the time early on I couldn't help but lose interest.

Noodle Lizard

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned how poorly directed it is either.  It seems like it was done by a student director with a professional crew and a huge budget.  Some of the clunkiest shots I've seen in a mainstream film.  He clearly spent a lot of time thinking about how to make Godzilla look and sound "awesome" but he doesn't know how to shoot basic dialogue scenes.

Also, wasn't Sally Hawkins dreadful in this?  Urgh.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Here are all of the title character's scenes from the film: http://youtu.be/9YsnZ4bYIjs

All 7 minutes and 56 Seconds of them.

Spiteface

Oddly, Toho announced yesterday that they're beginning production on a new Godzilla film, due next year

Which essentially means two different series going on at once, as this does not impact on the sequel to the recent American one.

I hope Toho produces the most insane crack-laden film possible, with old-school effects of blokes in rubber monster suits stomping miniature sets.

mobias

I watched this for the first time the other week. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would but it was still a pile of crap. I thought the death of Brian Cranston's character's wife strangely grim for the opening of what is essentially a kids movie. I don't really understand where all the positive reviews come from, its got a 73% positive score on rotten tomatoes. 

Replies From View

Quote from: Spiteface on December 08, 2014, 03:30:39 PM
Oddly, Toho announced yesterday that they're beginning production on a new Godzilla film, due next year

QuoteAs for whether the monster will be brought to life through a man in a suit or CGI, according to Movie Division Deputy Director Taichi Ueda: "...it has not been decided yet. However, after the rights for "Parasyte" returned from American to Japanese hands, it has been proven there is talent within the country capable of quality that can rival Hollywood superproductions."

"Have you seen the title of the forthcoming Terminator film?  It pointlessly has a "y" in it!  Get on that bandwagon pronto!!"