Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:02:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Godzilla (2014)

Started by Replies From View, October 04, 2013, 06:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kidsick5000

I'm a bit surprised that it looks so traditionally filmed, but then I suppose Cloverfield has ownership on found footage.

I did hope that either Godzilla or Cloverfield sequels would play even more into documentary style and just use lots of found footage.

Replies From View

I reckon "found footage" films should be banned now for a minimum of 38 score years.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Replies From View on December 12, 2013, 10:54:33 AM
I reckon "found footage" films should be banned now for a minimum of 38 score years.

Found footage of monsters does seem a bit 2008 in my opinion. Paranormal Activity 5 due out next year so we have that to look forward to.

mothman

I'm not sure that music is from 2001? It does sound like one of the Gyorgy Ligeti pieces, but...

mothman

Oops, ha ha, listened to it again, and it is indeed Atmospheres by Gyorgy Ligeti - during the first bit, at least, the HALO jump sequence. And 2001 being my favourite film and all. Awkward...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI0P1NnUFxc

Blumf

Quote from: mothman on December 12, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Oops, ha ha, listened to it again, and it is indeed Atmospheres by Gyorgy Ligeti

Don't you mean Ligeti's Requiem?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1lcZM0MNek

mothman

Could be. It was late and I was tired.

So, um, is this going to have a Jamiroquai song? It ought to. Nothing says "creature feature" like a tie-in ditty by that carbon-copy self-plagiarising twat in a hat.

Moribunderast

I think they had the right idea with the soundtrack in '98. Just get the modern day equivalent of Puff Daddy to rap over a Led Zeppelin riff. Chuck Kanye's Bound 2 vocals over Immigrant Song, sit back and watch the money roll in, I say.

Replies From View

'He's going deeper up your arse..."

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 12, 2013, 05:18:41 PM
Paranormal Activity 5 due out next year so we have that to look forward to.

I've seen every one at the cinema so far. Aside from the first one, they're stupid but I still find them very entertaining in a cinema environment.

Spiteface

Can't be arsed starting a new thread for this, so I'll put it here.

I want recommendations for Godzilla films to watch. I watched Godzilla vs King Ghidorah on Friday night (downloaded it a while ago, after fond memories of BBC2's "Monster Night"), and want to take more in between now and the remake in a few months.

Obviously not the previous 1998 remake either...

Incandenza

The first remains the best. It's a really smart, grim film about nuclear war. Also good: the cheap but fun rush sequel Godzilla Raids Again, Godzilla vs Mothra and the Mothra film itself. Rodan has some good moments but I found it a bit dull. Destroy All Monsters is silly fun.

Not Godzilla but still Toho/Ishiro Honda: The Mysterians. Probably spelt a lot of those wrong but I can't be bothered to google.

Spiteface

I have a copy of the original on DVD which I ordered online, so that's definitely next on the agenda.

Apart from that, New Trailer Time!!

I like how they two trailers so far show just enough of Godzilla to get you into it, but plenty of the damage it causes. I like that mix.

NoSleep

Quote from: Spiteface on February 16, 2014, 04:40:12 PM
Can't be arsed starting a new thread for this, so I'll put it here.

I want recommendations for Godzilla films to watch. I watched Godzilla vs King Ghidorah on Friday night (downloaded it a while ago, after fond memories of BBC2's "Monster Night"), and want to take more in between now and the remake in a few months.

Obviously not the previous 1998 remake either...

Destroy All Monsters is my favourite (featuring a whole host of monster stars). And the one with Godzuki in it (Baby Godzilla) especially as the soundtrack appears to have been lifted from a Carry On film.

Famous Mortimer

I have the first one on Criterion Collection blu-ray, but I still haven't watched it, which renders this post pointless, apart from allowing me the most pathetic brag ever. Woohoo!

eluc55

Imagine if all blockbusters had actors as good as Brian Cranston in them.

Awesome trailer. Incredibly restrained for this day and age. 

El Unicornio, mang

Juliette Binoche, Ken Watanabe and Sally Hawkins too. Pretty good cast list.

The Masked Unit

Hmm, Cranston eh? I quite like the look of this. Is that unsettling choral wailing the exact same as the dawn of man monolith sequence from 2001?

I didn't realise this was made by the same guy who did Monsters. That was an impressive film, especially in terms of budget. In fact, for what it cost and the effects the director did himself, shot with a crew of three with non actors, impressive is far too small a word. It was witchcraft and rivaled huge blockbusters. So that combined with that first trailer really has me excited about this. Which is something I'd never thought I'd be about a giant monster film, because I have no heart.

biggytitbo

Looks shit. As always with these sort of films, it'd be miles better if it was a bunch of small lizards been tormented by a massive man.

mothman

Quote from: The Masked Unit on February 25, 2014, 08:33:21 PM
Is that unsettling choral wailing the exact same as the dawn of man monolith sequence from 2001?

Yes, we've done this already, I didn't come out of it looking good, move on, lessons learned etc.

I really want to see this. I don't know why. I liked the 1998 version, granted. I'm not proud. Just chalk it down as a guilty pleasure. But something about the sheer scope that the trailers put across appeals to me. Perhaps cityscapes devastated by ginormous beasties is just the kind of thing that floats my boat in this post-Walking Dead age when your ordinary deserted post-apocalyptic cityscape just isn't enough anymore. Perhaps it's because I liked Monsters. Perhaps I'd like to see that the thousandfold increase in budget he's been granted isn't wasted and consequently Gareth Edwards doesn't eclipse Danny Cannon for Most Hubristic Expat Brit Director Ever (at least until Joe Cornish directs Star Wars ep 7).

Moribunderast

Quote from: Bored of Canada on February 25, 2014, 08:41:30 PM
I didn't realise this was made by the same guy who did Monsters. That was an impressive film, especially in terms of budget. In fact, for what it cost and the effects the director did himself, shot with a crew of three with non actors, impressive is far too small a word.

I watched Monsters a few months ago and loved it. Knew it was small-budget and the actors were "amateur" but I didn't realise the crew was that tiny. That really is impressive. Granted, I don't see many blockbusters but the special effects and whatnot looked great to mine eyes. Very excited to see what he could do with a massive budget behind him, though I hope the greater scope doesn't adversely affect his talents. Sometimes imposed limitations can be a good thing.

As I say, I'm not one for blockbusters, generally, as I barely bother going to see films at the cinema these days. That being said, I am TOTALLY in for this movie and want to see it on a giant screen. The cast is good and I trust the director so my hopes are higher than is probably advisable. I do hope that it isn't one of those 150/180-minute blockbusters that Hollywood is so fond of these days. My favourite blockbusters of recent years were Gravity and The Rise of the Planet of the Apes, both of which clocked in around 90 minutes. You do not need three hours to tell stories of giant monsters, or giant robots or men who dress as bats. Frankly, in this age of short attention spans, I don't know how da kidz sit through that shit. I have a good attention span and even I can't bring myself to watch the Dark Knight Rises. 160 minutes of Christian Bale doing that voice! C'mon!

Mister Six

Quote from: Moribunderast on February 26, 2014, 12:34:20 AM
even I can't bring myself to watch the Dark Knight Rises. 160 minutes of Christian Bale doing that voice! C'mon!

Good news: Batman's only in that fucking film for about 15 minutes.

Bad Ambassador

Bad news: The rest of is boring incomprehensible and tedious.

Serge

Quote from: eluc55 on February 25, 2014, 07:20:44 PMImagine if all blockbusters had actors as good as Brian Cranston in them.

The 1998 version had Jean Reno in, who ain't bad! Though he was the best thing about that version by a long way.

I am ridiculously excited about this.

So how does all this destruction tie into the fact that Godzilla is meant to be on our side? Is all of that lore being tossed out the window now and he's just "big monster"? I mean, that's probably the best way to go about it, but I just wondered with Toho being involved what their end game is with rebooting it.

Replies From View

Their end game with the reboot is to make a very very weak third film in what will be a trilogy of these, and then stop.

eluc55

Quote from: The Region Legion on February 27, 2014, 12:35:46 PM
So how does all this destruction tie into the fact that Godzilla is meant to be on our side? Is all of that lore being tossed out the window now and he's just "big monster"? I mean, that's probably the best way to go about it, but I just wondered with Toho being involved what their end game is with rebooting it.

The trailer reveals at the very least one monster besides Godzilla - more likely two[nb]The flying one and the one with glowing spider legs[/nb], so there's definitely going to be a face off between them. Doesn't the trailer suggest that they want to "use him", or something like that? Maybe they mean use him (Godzilla) to kick some Monster's arse.

My guess is he'll knock over a bunch of stuff, then turn and fight some bigger threats. 

Spiteface

The stories I've heard are that Godzilla is played up as the force of nature he is. He appears, causes a shitload of destruction, then other monsters called "MUTOs" appear, he fights them, then fucks off, and is remembered as something of a hero.

NoSleep

Sounds like Godzilla to me.