Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:53:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Godzilla (2014)

Started by Replies From View, October 04, 2013, 06:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
GRRRAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH

MONSTAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGHHH

LET'S HAVE IT YOU FUCKING MONSTROUS CUNTERS

Looks good.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: The Boston Crab on February 28, 2014, 05:53:26 AM
GRRRAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH

MONSTAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGHHH

LET'S HAVE IT YOU FUCKING MONSTROUS CUNTERS

Bosto quoting from the sequel to "Cockneys vs. Zombies", there. I would definitely go and see that film.

Tiny Poster

Quote from: The Region Legion on February 27, 2014, 12:35:46 PM
So how does all this destruction tie into the fact that Godzilla is meant to be on our side? Is all of that lore being tossed out the window now and he's just "big monster"? I mean, that's probably the best way to go about it, but I just wondered with Toho being involved what their end game is with rebooting it.

Was he on our side in the 1954 original?

NoSleep

He was symptom of what we had done to the planet. And our punishment.

NoSleep

I think it's actually his appearance that is caused by our interference rather than him being created by our effect on the environment. He was either dormant or living beneath the sea or the earth before. Will have to watch the film again (came free with the Guardian a few years back). The wikizilla says he's not that hostile against people unless they aggravate him and tears down buildings only when they're in the way.

NoSleep

Got round to watching the original Godzilla film. A much different film to the later ones (which were made for children) with a post WWII/nuclear atmosphere. Godzilla has appeared as a result of radiation caused by nuclear weapons, eventually reducing Tokyo to rubble. You get lots of little glimpses of personal tragedies (huge cast compared to later films) throughout the carnage and the aftermath is portrayed much like a post-air raid.
The weapon they finally destroy him with is another "ultimate weapon" like the H-bomb but its creator takes on the ultimate responsibility in order that it might be deployed. Quite a moving film.

Noteworthy: it features actor Akihiko Hirato, who features in 20 other Godzilla movies.

Thomas

An extended trailer -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64c6VLNJQiE

Pause at 1:45 to
Spoiler alert
glimpse one of the other monsters, on the military fella's screens.
[close]

Also 2:03 to
Spoiler alert
see it grappling with 'Zilla.
[close]

Van Dammage

Quote from: NoSleep on March 02, 2014, 12:23:41 PM
Got round to watching the original Godzilla film. A much different film to the later ones (which were made for children) with a post WWII/nuclear atmosphere. Godzilla has appeared as a result of radiation caused by nuclear weapons, eventually reducing Tokyo to rubble. You get lots of little glimpses of personal tragedies (huge cast compared to later films) throughout the carnage and the aftermath is portrayed much like a post-air raid.
The weapon they finally destroy him with is another "ultimate weapon" like the H-bomb but its creator takes on the ultimate responsibility in order that it might be deployed. Quite a moving film.

Noteworthy: it features actor Akihiko Hirato, who features in 20 other Godzilla movies.

I love the original one because its actually serious, Godzilla himself pretty much representing  the bomb. The other ones are just silly entertainment.

Thomas

I like how the poster for this new film parallels this from the Godzilla of sixty years ago.

Van Dammage

If both pictures were in colour it would nearly look like the same movie.

Replies From View

Serge

Quote from: Thomas on April 05, 2014, 11:33:16 PM
An extended trailer -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64c6VLNJQiE

I'm starting to suspect that Bryan Cranston
Spoiler alert
may get killed off relatively early on
[close]
in this. But I didn't realise that David Strathairn and Juliette Binoche were in it too, which is good news.

Sam

Quote from: The Masked Unit on February 25, 2014, 08:33:21 PM
Is that unsettling choral wailing the exact same as the dawn of man monolith sequence from 2001?

Yes, it's the second movement of Ligeti's Requiem, as pinched by Mr Kubrick. It's fairly standard to use famous music as a temp track in a trailer, doubt it'll be in the actual film.

I am quite ambivalent about Hollywood snapping up indie directors and putting them to work on blockbusters. On the one hand, they deserve the big paycheck having poured blood into their first feature, and the freshness and originality they bring should add a bit to a tired formula. On the other, there's something so soulless and corporate about it, a real sign of the times.

The best you can hope for is he uses the money and exposure to make more interesting stuff rather than a load of generic shite.

Thomas

Quote from: Serge on April 06, 2014, 10:22:15 PM
I'm starting to suspect that Bryan Cranston
Spoiler alert
may get killed off relatively early on
[close]
in this.

Interesting thought, I hadn't considered that.

According to the Wikipedia page, actor man Aaron Taylor-Johnson has said that filming this was liking working on an independent film. It's big and it's American and it's got a ton(ne) of CGI, but I've a real trust that it could be great. I'm very excited to see it in the cinema. I bet it'll have a good soundtrack, too.

Johnny Townmouse

Why does this look so great? Have they just got really good at making trailers? So much of the imagery looks amazing, in particular the recycling of tsunami footage. They also use some 2001 music on the trailer, or something just like it, to give it extra gravitas.

Yet everything in me is saying that this is going to be a disappointment. I do remember the same flurry of excitement before The Day After Tomorrow. And that was gash.

kitsofan34

Day After Tomorrow had Dennis Quaid.
Godzilla has BRYAN CRANSTON.

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on April 07, 2014, 12:23:02 AM
Why does this look so great? Have they just got really good at making trailers? So much of the imagery looks amazing, in particular the recycling of tsunami footage.

When watching Monsters the obvious strength the director had was using the shot to make it look real.  Often what gives away CGI in films today isn't the quality of the effect, it's the fact that the camera is doing something impossible.  Gareth Edwards is very good at making the image look real simply by doing what you would do if you really had filmed it in camera.  Obviously this is a big budget movie too, though, so the effects themselves will be top notch.

Thomas

Replies From View

Yessss!  Visible ones!!

NoSleep

So, it's a remake of Destroy All Monsters?

Garam

I just checked out the trailer cause i thought it'd be good for a laugh. I haven't enjoyed an action trailer that much since i was a little kid. With that and Bryan Cranston, i'm seeing this bitch in 3D at noon tomorrow, and feel confident i'll enjoy it. LIFE THROWS YA SOME CURVEBALLS

Santa's Boyfriend

Saw it this evening.  Am a little disappointed at how much it followed the standard hollywood disaster/alien invasion formula (ie the dysfunctional family who must pull together in a crisis and reform their bonds, following multiple viewpoints of characters who couldn't really hold the film on their own, etc).  But there are some really nice images, cuts and transitions in it, as the trailer makes clear.  Lots of bass in the cinema I was in, too.

Incandenza

Just back from the IMAX.
Delivers on the action, but pretty much everything else is a bust.

I admire the impulse in the film to really carefully pace out the monster stuff, to build up tension, to not spunk everything too early - it basically takes the Jaws approach, but the Jaws approach only works if you have characters, dialogue and actors as good as Scheider, Shaw and Dreyfuss.

This film has Aaron Taylor-Johnson being an utter charisma vacuum, probably not his fault as his character is non-existent, but the film hits a serious problem when
Spoiler alert
Brian Cranston, pretty much the only character with any spark, carks it in the first act. Then we're left with Taylor-Wood-Johnson grimacing and frowning his way through the remaining two acts
[close]

Everyone else in a strong-name cast is horrendously underused, there's an irritating child who we're told is 5, speaks like a 3 year old and looks like a 9 year old; there's some pretty poor military-war-room-by-numbers sequences; there's a weird realignment of the nuclear stuff:
Spoiler alert
In the original, the nuclear tests awaken Godzilla in the fifties, if I'm right, as a comment on the destructive nature of etc etc. In this one apparently the americans were doing those tests to try and kill Godzilla
[close]

It's lumbered with pretty much the worst, least imaginative score I've heard in years, really appallingly hacky stuff that spells out every moment for you. We only get a break from it in the fantastic skydiving sequence, which we've all seen in the trailer now, and of course the music there is very famously used in 2001, which means you end up thinking of another film at the same time as thinking "The best scene in this whole film is the trailer"

I was looking forward to this so much. I really, really wanted to like it. There's a lot to like, too: the action, overall, is great. The new Godzilla design is great and he moves well,
Spoiler alert
although his lap of glory at the end was pretty embarrassing. Felt like cool runnings.
[close]
and the director has kept his skill at knowing how to shoot perspective etc from his previous Monster movie - some of the sequences are amazing, and he knows how to shoot people and buildings in relation the monsters, which is essential.

But fuck me, please can someone just get a screenwriter with a modicum of talent to do another draft on these big films?
It really wouldn't take longer than a week to have someone whip through a script like this and tweak the dialogue and put a bit of humanity in.

Thomas

Seen a negative Facebook status review of this today. I'm disheartened by the lukewarm reaction, I was all set up for this to be an effin' great Godzilla film. Such is the trick of a good trailer. Still, perhaps I'll love it.

Lasted an hour in the cinema before bailing... really horrible, boring rubbish.
Spoiler alert
Kill your lead and only acting ability
[close]
half an hour in. Not only that,
Spoiler alert
signpost the death with a swift zipping of a bodybag before moving swiftly on.
[close]
The effects were ropey from the get-go (and that water really looked shite), characters: non-existant.

I mean, I don't know how they do it, rob each and every dramatic scene of tension. Actually made Emmerich palatable, which is no mean feat. Piss-poor out of 10.

Be big, be stupid, be loud by all means. Just don't be boring. This film is boring.

Glebe

Saw this in IMAX today, have to say I was a mite disappointed. It's rather slow and talky, and not in an interesting way. The monster action is fairly tasty though, plus there are some nice touches, lovely shots and a couple of suspenseful moments. It has it's good points for sure, but I was expecting more.

Santa's Boyfriend

The characters are very one dimensional, and that's probably the film's biggest problem.  I know they were hoping to focus on the monster, but the characters feel like they've been pulled together by a focus group.  The main (younger) star looks like he's just walked out of High School Musical and shaved his head - he's devoid of any real character other than being dashing and helping people which, whatever Blake Snyder[nb]The man who wrote "Save the Cat", a book on screenwriting whose title references the idea that you should make the character likeable by having them do something endeering, like saving a cat or helping someone out or something.  Problem is, the basic premise of that is at least slightly wrong.  A character doing something nice isn't enough to make us warm to them, it's a little more complex than that - otherwise we wouldn't root for people like Hannibal Lector or Judge Dredd.  What matters more is having a moral code that we can understand, even if it's radically different to our own.[/nb] may say, isn't enough to make us like him.  It just enough to make us think he's a wet blanket devoid of any real character.

I'm becoming increasingly disappointed with this film after Gareth Edwards made such a stunning debut in Monsters.  I know this film is more commercial by its nature, and has to please big commercial crowds in both US and Japan as well as the rest of the world, but the script feels like it's been put together by a focus group, not by a writer with an interest in human beings.

There are still some really nice images in the film though.

Head Gardener

a similar film is out today in smaller cinemas

Van Dammage

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0831387/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Hard to believe it was rated 9.3 yesterday. But after non fanboys vote it generally goes down.
Even still imdb ratings are wank.