Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:08:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Things that are mildly irritating

Started by Pinball, August 03, 2004, 07:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinball

Not end of the world stuff, but just things that mildly piss you off...

I really get annoyed by UK-brewed renditions of previously imported beers. Frankly they all taste the same, and certainly not in the same league as the originals. I actually search out imported only beers, and refuse to buy the "brewed in the UK" copouts. Some examples of beers that have made the switch:

Budweiser
Bud Ice
Labatts Ice
Stella Artois
Red Stripe
Coors & Coors Lite
Miller
Fosters & Fosters Ice

Why God why????

Three of my favourite beers are Corona, San Miguel & Tiger. I hope to Blunkett that they don't switch to Generic Beer Inc...

Is Castle beer still imported from South Africa? I'm not sure, but think it may have switched.

gazzyk1ns

Pinball you need to get yourself down to your nearest Majestic and buy in crates as you anticipate you'll want it, everything "good" is imported properly. A crate of 24 bottles of Asahi is £15.84, for example. And you can't beat Asahi.

Edit: Just checked their website, Castle is the same as that, San Miguel is £17.28.

Erm, I don't work for Majestic or anything...

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

The interminanable length of weather forecasts, and it's always before the programme you've waited six months to see. They seem to go on and on and on and on, when all I need is if it's going to rain/snow/sleet or not tomorrow. I don't care if it's slightly damp or there's going to be thundery showers with patches of fog or a quick storm in the afternoon or grey skies...just a simple 10 second statement will do fine. It's irritating too when they compare our weather to southern Spain and say 'Well, over in Spain, it really couldn't be more different with highs reaching a scorching 45 degrees.' Surprise, surprise, they're on the fucking continent, of course it's going to be warmer. I don't like the little asides they put into it either, like 'But I'm afraid that's where all the joy in your life ends, because it's looks like rain tomorrow, so you might as well get the noose ready now...' Call me a freak, but I quite the rain.

terminallyrelaxed

Watch channel 5 weather, problem solved. Next?

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"Watch channel 5 weather, problem solved. Next?
Presumably Channel 5 doesn't have programmes that he's waited six months to see on, though, does it?

weekender

Cans of White Lightning are still refreshingly available at 69p RRP.  It has this on the can, that's how I know.  RRP means that in dodgy places you can get it for 40p a can.  Apparently.  £2 and you're fucked for the night, and people pay that for a pint.  Don't give a fuck what you think, I'm a dirty cider-o at the moment.

Pinball

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"Pinball you need to get yourself down to your nearest Majestic and buy in crates as you anticipate you'll want it, everything "good" is imported properly. A crate of 24 bottles of Asahi is £15.84, for example. And you can't beat Asahi.

Edit: Just checked their website, Castle is the same as that, San Miguel is £17.28.

Ah yes must get down there again! They've got Samuel Adams, the malty US beer that is incredibly difficult to find in the UK and is delicious. I usually buy from Makro as it's wholesale, though their range of beers can leave a lot to be desired.

gazzyk1ns

Funnily enough, my mate's brother was raving about Samuel Adams at the weekend. I'd seen in in Majestic before but I'm never in the mood to buy English Ales from there... and I always just assumed by the box that that's what it was! I'm going to have to try it now.

On a similar topic, Sainsbury's seem to be selling Westmalle Trappist Dubbel now - I saw a bottle the other week and was compelled to buy it, people like Fanny have been raving about it for so long. I enjoyed it.

Sherringford Hovis

A bunch of people somewhere on these boards very recently said:

I hate it when people go on and on  and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about how drunk they got the other night and how mashed they get the drugs they take and it's really, really  really, really really, really really, really really, really really, really really, really really, really really, really really, really really, really really, really boring

I have to say that I'm inclined to agree with them.

weekender

That's fine, however I don't see how people discussing their preferential ale beverages fits into that.

Crazy Penis

I think it was in response to the thread title and opening sentence, rather than a response to other posts in the thread.

Dr David V

The channels on Sky between 630 and 699.

untitled_london

get down to poxy tescos and grab urself 4 x duvel @ 1.44 a bottle.

by christ - you will love it  - http://beeradvocate.com/top_beers.php

its hit #42 on this top 100

btw anybody heading to the olympia this week... if so wanna do an impromptu meet????

mangoliver

The use of 'experts' on a lot of TV news/documentaries annoys me.

Like today the BBC 6 oclock news featured a report about teenage depression and some child psychology expert came out with a gem along the lines of "I think you will find that suicide is strongly linked with depression". Wow, the insight...

I always remember some serious Police/Car crimne doucumentary on BBC1 was introduced by some senior police officer telling us in a very serious patronising voice that.."Whilst not all drivers are criminals it is fair to say that most criminals drive". Stunning.

Jaffa The Cake

Quote from: "Pinball"Corona
Amazingly, it manages to taste more watery than it looks.

Quote from: "Pinball"San Miguel
And the respect you lost for liking Corona has just been earned back. Got bless wetherspoons for selling bottles of this stuff at decent prices.

Schlippy

Quote from: "weekender"Cans of White Lightning are still refreshingly available at 69p RRP.  It has this on the can, that's how I know.  RRP means that in dodgy places you can get it for 40p a can.  Apparently.  £2 and you're fucked for the night, and people pay that for a pint.  Don't give a fuck what you think, I'm a dirty cider-o at the moment.
Somerfield do a fandabbydozy beverage by the of Ice White, 3 litres at 8% for only £1.99. That's best part of 30 units of alcohol for under 2 quid, and would probly put most non-dipsos into a couple of teeth-scrailingly awful hangovers.

Tastes like shite, obviously, but then its only aimed at the Tennants Super crowd anyhows.

Marcus Or Relius

Powergen are irritating for giving me a quarterly electricity bill for £245! For just little old me living alone. £245!!! Because I rarely bother reading my mail I only noticed the bill today in the form of a scary pay-now-or-die reminder notice.

"Contact us right now!!!" So I phoned up...."We close at 4PM, call back tomorrow."  Lazy shits.

RHX

People who say "Garlic Bread", in the Peter Kay voice.

DistantAngel

The fact that it's 10:20pm, I've been in work since 8am, and I'm going to be here for at least an hour or more ...

Actually, scratch that, it's beyond mildly irritating and into downright fucking annoying territory ...

Now where's that "Things That Fuck You Off No End" thread?

Dr David V

Quote from: "RHX"People who say "Garlic Bread", in the Peter Kay voice.
GARLIC BREAD? GARLIC... WITH BREAD?

lmao

That irritates me too actually.

Hypnotoad.

Ok, this is more than mildly fucking irritating, but I've had a bollock full of the obsession with cars and bikes nowadays

Not the school run and things like that, I'm talking about sitting here in my flat listening to cars going past with modifications to make them ridiculously fucking noisy, revved to the limit and thrown about B roads like some racetrack

I get in the car to go for a run and see umpteen cars with spoilers and blue LEDs, big exhausts, great big noisy things

Running round the golf course, all I hear is cars screaming around in the distance, groups of fucking spotty teenagers on shitty mopeds buzzing here there and everywhere tooting their fucking hooters all the time

Jaffa The Cake

Quote from: "Homer J"cars with ... blue LEDs
What is the fucking point of those? To make it look like a hover car?  They really really annoy me.

I was talking to someone who makes these modifications to cars...
"We make the parts, fit them, make sure the paintwork blends properly. Makes the car look well silly, and costs loads. Then the kid drives away, hits a curb within an hour and fucks the lot. Comes back, more money for us to do it all again. I love it."

Doctor Stamen

People who eat with their mouth open.

Evil Knevil

Quote from: "Pinball"
Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"Pinball you need to get yourself down to your nearest Majestic and buy in crates as you anticipate you'll want it, everything "good" is imported properly. A crate of 24 bottles of Asahi is £15.84, for example. And you can't beat Asahi.

Ah yes must get down there again! They've got Samuel Adams, the malty US beer that is incredibly difficult to find in the UK and is delicious. I usually buy from Makro as it's wholesale, though their range of beers can leave a lot to be desired.

You get Sam Adams at Makro??! That stuff is wonderful. I thought you could only get it in speciality American bars. Well, I'll have to renew my membership now.

Anybody know where I can get Moosehead?

Make me smile

Quote from: "Doctor Stamen"People who eat with their mouth open.

oh too right, noisy eaters in general, makes me absolutely sick, especially if I'm eating at the same time. People who talk when eating as well...eurgh.

Quote from: "Doctor Stamen"People who eat with their mouth open.

or hold their knife like a pencil

the government spending money on dole for spongers when we could be spending it on bombs.

Marcus Or Relius

People who slurp their tea then, with their eyes half-closed in ecstasy, let out a long sigh: "Aaaaaaah."

You're drinking a cup of bloody tea, not getting a fucking blow-job!

My Giddy Aunt

Quote from: "Make me smile"People who talk when eating as well...eurgh.

Thats my  plan to invite you out on a dinner date foiled then.
(i know what you mean and yes its mildly annoying)

Emails with viruses attached are proving hugely annoying right now. The viruses dont get to me because i have rudementary anti-virus programs but i still have to click 'ok' whenever my computer informs me i have had yet another one.
I never used to get any either.

chand

One the beer subject, I've developed quite a penchant for a bit of the old Hoegaarden, which as well as having a cool name has a quite interesting taste. But yeah, generally beer here is shite.

Things usually either bother me a lot or not at all. The only minor irritant I can think of is when you're attempting to take a corner on PES3 and the computer side makes a substitution, which delays your corner kick by approximately a second and a half yet manages to be quite irritating.

Mildly Diverting

That The Wild Bean Cafe has changed it's supplier for sausage rolls.  You have sacrificed quality for cost and ruined my lunchtimes.

I have my doubts that this will be quoted and seconded.