Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:40:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gravity

Started by Noodle Lizard, October 08, 2013, 10:03:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: Replies From View on December 30, 2013, 12:46:27 PM
Yes, always trust "some guy" at work rather than pages of reasoned CaB discussion.

Ever been to the beach?  Shit.  No storyline, George Clooney isn't even there, just loads of sand, water and other kids reckoning they're having a good time.  Well they're not.

Not sure whether your comment is a tongue in cheek response to my not at all serious comment about the bollocks, point missing opinions of people in the work place.

So here is a winking smiley ;) just in case you actually thought I was being serious there.

WesterlyWinds

Was anyone else rooting for her to drown at the end?

Replies From View

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on December 30, 2013, 12:55:32 PM
Not sure whether your comment is a tongue in cheek response

Well I'm not going to use a winking smiley so therefore I win.

Replies From View

Quote from: WesterlyWinds on December 30, 2013, 12:59:39 PM

I was, yeah.  I sort of hope the DVD will have a seamless-branching option to watch a version of the film where that happens.

Maybe the frog could set off a chain reaction of events that makes it impossible for Bullock to reach the surface.

batwings

I wanted her to see a bunch of ape soldiers on horseback riding towards her, but drowning would also have been funny.

Replies From View

Quote from: batwings on December 30, 2013, 02:26:43 PM
I wanted her to see a bunch of ape soldiers on horseback riding towards her

Yeah!  All getting off their horses and farting her back into the water until she drowns!

WesterlyWinds

That scene kept teasing the audience as well. First you think she'll get trapped in the spacecraft, then you think the spacesuit will drown her, and finally as she swims to the surface she stupidly goes straight through the seaweed and you hope beyond hope that it will entangle her feet and prevent escape. But no, she manages to get onto dry land and live. Bit pathetic, really

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I was rooting for her to be startled by a moth.

Replies From View

I was hoping for gravity to act so forcefully against her that she would become crushed into the soft wet sand she was squelching through her very fingers.

And for the film to end with her as a flat pancake going "Aargh!"

The Masked Unit

Only just got round to seeing this last night and I'd just like to say that a hate anyone who doesn't like this film.

Bye.

Santa's Boyfriend

I was hoping to see her chased by a pack of lions at the end.

Sam

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 30, 2013, 03:49:15 PM
I was rooting for her to be startled by a moth.

On a serious note, the film had a pleasing amount of confusing and tricksy latches - you haven't been confused by a latch until you try to enter a shuttle quickly, said Georges Clunet, I expect.

I'd like the sequel to be set on Earth, without the floating effects, time constraints or explosions, just Sandra Bullock wandering around a garden centre trying to view those already-erected summer houses they have.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

We have to get from April Chalet to Bumblebee Folly, but the carton of Ribena is down to 2% and Anunziata is going to shit herself in 10, 9, 8, 7....

El Unicornio, mang

I watched the bluray of this on a 50" screen (about 10 feet away) tonight and was totally absorbed and immersed throughout. So you probably don't need to see it on the big screen/in 3D to get super enjoyment from it (although obviously seeing it on IMAX is going to be a better experience).

Clooney's character is a bit off, I usually like him but I think someone else would have been better. I don't get the "I don't care what happens to the leads" thing though. Clooney was a bit irritating but they just seemed like two pretty normal people to me. And I found Bullock's character very likable and sympathetic (the dead daughter thing was a bit lazy but it worked for me).

Alberon

Alternate, and very very much shorter, version of Gravity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw79smKZB9E

phantom_power

I watched it on a reasonable 32" HD TV and thought it was very good and immersive, though at the same time I think it would have been much better at the cinema in 3D. What I find elevates the cinema compared to home viewing is not so much the size of the picture but the sound. You would have to have a very nifty set-up at home to get the same sound as you do in the cinema, and in a house with kids that would never happen as you would wake them up.

The other thing is focus. The sole reason you are there is to watch the film so it gets all your focus, rather than having to go and make a cuppa or let the cat in or think about that bit of wall that should have been painted weeks ago or whatever

Quote from: phantom_power on April 07, 2014, 11:44:00 AM
I watched it on a reasonable 32" HD TV and thought it was very good and immersive, though at the same time I think it would have been much better at the cinema in 3D. What I find elevates the cinema compared to home viewing is not so much the size of the picture but the sound. You would have to have a very nifty set-up at home to get the same sound as you do in the cinema, and in a house with kids that would never happen as you would wake them up.

The other thing is focus. The sole reason you are there is to watch the film so it gets all your focus, rather than having to go and make a cuppa or let the cat in or think about that bit of wall that should have been painted weeks ago or whatever

The guys and I have been meaning to talk to you about this, when are you gonna get that bloody wall done?

Replies From View

In general I'd rather immerse myself in films with my laptop and headphones rather than the cinema.  "Focus" in the cinema my arse.  "Seethe as twats chuck popcorn about and take noisy phone calls" would be more apt.

phantom_power

Quote from: Replies From View on April 07, 2014, 01:23:12 PM
In general I'd rather immerse myself in films with my laptop and headphones rather than the cinema.  "Focus" in the cinema my arse.  "Seethe as twats chuck popcorn about and take noisy phone calls" would be more apt.

I have never been bothered by other people at the cinema. I always worry about it and it has pretty much never happened. The only time I can think of was when my mate got pissed and acted like a twat all through a film

ZoyzaSorris

Saw this again on my telly and thought it held up surprisingly well. Over and out.

Replies From View

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on April 07, 2014, 10:02:54 PM
Saw this again on my telly and thought it held up surprisingly well. Over and out.

That's all fine and dandy, but how well did it hold down?

Garam

Louis CK on O&A a couple of months ago talking about Gravity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUjGIVNIBdw

'reluctant astronaut' is a very pertinent criticism. Amazed it hasn't been made more often.

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: Replies From View on April 07, 2014, 10:17:16 PM
That's all fine and dandy, but how well did it hold down?

A very unfortunate lack of chain reactions that might cause an absence of oxygen and the permanent destruction of Sandra's brain.