Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:50:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Director's Cuts" that diminish the originals

Started by Replies From View, October 11, 2013, 03:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 23, 2013, 09:38:27 AM
Was this part of some old comedy show? Because my Mum also used to call him Eewar Woowar.

It's a joke:

Q: Why does Edward Woodward have so many 'd's in his name?
A: Because otherwise he would be Ewar Woowar

Quote from: phantom_power on October 23, 2013, 10:21:48 AM
It's a joke:

Q: Why does Edward Woodward have so many 'd's in his name?
A: Because otherwise he would be Ewar Woowar

A textbook example of a punchline that's far more hilarious and stupid when you say it out loud.

NoSleep

Waking Life

Quote from: Bored of Canada on October 23, 2013, 02:59:48 AM
They've retrieved and restored "The Final Cut" of the Wicker Man and I'm going to go see it in a couple weeks.
Exciting. From the sounds of it, this one sounds good, in that there's still cuts in it, but for things that seem unnecessary, like a monologue of Christopher Lee talking about apples and the film starting with Eewar Woowar on the mainland, which just doesn't sound as good as just that lovely opening of the sweeping helicopter shots of the island 

http://astortheatreblog.wordpress.com/2013/10/23/the-wicker-man-the-final-cut/

I'm not entirely sure which version I saw. Probably the "Short Version" on DVD, the quality was pretty arse though. Even by the standards of old films on DVDs.
Looked like a VHS. Curious to see how much better it looks on fully restored 35mm prints. Excited to see it again. And regardless of it all, it's just a good excuse to go see it again. I really like that film. I thought it was going to be a Don't Look Now double bill but turns out it's not. Disappointing.
That's the ideal double bill for them films.

I saw the restored version a few weeks back. It's not drastically different to the Director's Cut, but the quality has been cleaned up for some of the added sections. All except for the song Gently Johnny, which still looks very grainy.

The original version is very lean and works better as a story, but cuts out too many good scenes. There are still mainland sections in the Final Cut too, by the way.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Waking Life on October 23, 2013, 02:10:10 PM
I saw the restored version a few weeks back. It's not drastically different to the Director's Cut, but the quality has been cleaned up for some of the added sections. All except for the song Gently Johnny, which still looks very grainy.
I thought the whole point of this release was that it was all going to be taken from this excellent quality print that they found, so why do they have a grainy segment?

Tiny Poster

The old joke goes:

Q: Why does Edward Woodward have four 'd's in his name?

A: Because Ewar Woowar sounds silly.

olliebean

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 23, 2013, 09:38:27 AM
Was this part of some old comedy show? Because my Mum also used to call him Eewar Woowar.

I don't know where it originated, but the joke goes: Why does Edward Woodward have four 'D's in his name? Because otherwise he'd be Ewar Woowar.

Hey Famous, sorry, just wanted to clarify.
It comes from an old joke sailors used to tell each other at Ports.

Q[nb]uestion[/nb]: Why does that Edward Woodward have so many D's in that name of his?

Spoiler alert
A[nb]nswer[/nb]: Because his name would be Eewar Woowar!
[close]

Waking Life

Quote from: Paaaaul on October 23, 2013, 03:02:06 PM
I thought the whole point of this release was that it was all going to be taken from this excellent quality print that they found, so why do they have a grainy segment?

Yeah, it surprised me too. I don't think it's as jarring as the added scenes in the Director's Cut, but it stood out in quality compared to other scenes. Made me think it had still been spliced in - I know Hardy really likes the song - but that would defeat the purpose.

Replies From View

Since nobody has clarified this yet, I thought I'd point out that the age-old joke goes like this:

Q: What's with Edward Woodward having four 'd's in his name?

A: His mother was anxious that he not be named Ewar Woowar.

Apparently it was a "brothel standard" in Liverpool back in the day.

Wait? That's where it came from?
I thought it was off an old comedy show? My mum used to say it all the time.

Can someone please explain where the etymology of Eewar Woowar came from, please? 
Be serious.

Replies From View

I can't explain where the etymology of Eewar Woowar came from, but I can provide you with Eewar Woowar's etymology if you like:

I'm afraid that your Mum didn't get the joke off an old comedy show at all but rather some brothels in Liverpool in the 70s.

Of course, some sailors were forever docking there and taking the new jokes they'd learned to the BBC, so there is a slim chance that it made its way into an old comedy show of some kind I HOPE THIS HELPS.

Quote from: Replies From View on October 25, 2013, 09:56:52 AM
I can't explain where the etymology of Eewar Woowar came from, but I can provide you with Eewar Woowar's etymology if you like:

Y-You...You didn't need to make me look a fool, sir.
You didn't need to do that.

Why, oh why, did[nb]Rest in Peace.[/nb] beloved actor, Edward Woodward, have so many D's in his name?

The answer to that question, dear reader, is lost somewhere in a Liverpudlian night.
Blown away with the wisps of time; Never to return. 

ZoyzaSorris

Its because that's how you spell that first name and second name - you need that many Ds.

thenoise

Quote from: Bored of Canada on October 23, 2013, 02:59:48 AM
...Don't Look Now double bill but turns out it's not. Disappointing.
That's the ideal double bill for them films.

The Wicker Man was first released as a B movie to Don't Look Now.  That is why it was cut so drastically, so that it would fit.

The 70s must have been amazing for films, I can't imagine how great it would be to see both of those films in one evening with no real indication of what you were going to see.

Having said that - my ideal double bill would pair The Wicker Man with Blood on Satan's Claw, another great but somewhat underrated folksy horror film from the 1970.

Quote from: thenoise on October 26, 2013, 10:21:09 AM
Having said that - my ideal double bill would pair The Wicker Man with Blood on Satan's Claw, another great but somewhat underrated folksy horror film from the 1970.

Oh cool! Never heard of that one. I'll have to give it a look! Cheers!

Theremin

Quote from: thenoise on October 26, 2013, 10:21:09 AM

I saw them in a double bill in Bristol recently, and can confirm that it's amazing.