Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:03:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wes Anderson's "Grand Budapest Hotel"

Started by kitsofan34, October 17, 2013, 04:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitsofan34

This will be out March of next year, I believe.

Here's the poster, which is really pretty:

Here's the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fg5iWmQjwk

werfvgbhnj

Was expecting another abstract style-over-substance mess like Moonrise Kingdom or Dajeeling, but this looks like a proper good yarn.

Old Nehamkin

Lord Mandrake

I didn't find anything gratuitous about Moonrise Kingdom, it's completely wholesome and innocent and only the jaded and wonky eye of a seasoned peadomonster could distort any incidental shots into something randy..
Likewise the glib 'style over substance' accusation can only be from people who utterly miss the point about all Wes Anderson films.. 

vrailaine

Think I'll try and avoid trailers and stuff for this one anyways. Moonrise Kingdom is my favourite Wes Anderson film, didn't realise I pretty much love him until I saw that one.

...still don't like the Life Aquatic though.

werfvgbhnj

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on October 17, 2013, 04:32:14 PM
and wonky eye of a seasoned peadomonster could distort any incidental shots into something randy
I don't really think it's a paedo movie, I was just making fun of the comments you often hear about it.

I do think it's a big boring mess, though.

Jim_MacLaine

Ralph Fiennes channels Leonard Rossiter in the trailer.

Lovely stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fg5iWmQjwk

edit. Just seen the trailer has already been linked in the op.

IDIOT!!

Serge

He sounds exactly like Rossiter in some bits of Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of The Were Rabbit

My emotions towards Wes Anderson films are very odd and confused.
Regardless, the trailer for this looks absolutely brilliant. Been meaning to watch Moonrise Kingdom, might watch it tomorrow.

Jawaka

Looks great! Had forgot about Moonrise Kingdom, must get round to watching it.

Sam

The Britten in the MR soundtrack was some of the best use of music in a film I've ever come across. Far from being slapped on, it was almost a character in itself and merged beautifully with the plot points, characters and style. He's incredibly thoughtful in how he puts things together, and there was a real poignancy to it (particular the ending which was quietly beautiful).

I can see why people have a problem with him, but there's so much craft and passion for cinema to observe in his work that it's hard to dislike it.

The trailer for this new one looks great. He's playing to his strengths: big hotel allows large cast of quirky characters (amazing cast as always for this one); intricate tracking shots and cross sections of the many rooms; hermetically sealed environment to contain his style; period piece for maximum mannerisms and stylisation.

Jeff Goldlbum + Wes Anderson = exploding quirkometer.

Oh, and Norton seems to be just playing his character in MR again.

El Unicornio, mang

SNL's Wes Anderson parody is actually pretty good. Ed Norton makes a good Owen Wilson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSEzGDzZ1dY

Glebe

Lost interest in Wes Anderson some years ago, but this looks terrific. Unfortunately the trailer seems to give away most of the film. As many trailers do, natch.

Quote from: Serge on October 18, 2013, 12:30:16 AM
I presume you've already seen this?

That's brilliant. Bronagh Gallagher!

SteveDave

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on October 29, 2013, 12:16:04 AM
SNL's Wes Anderson parody is actually pretty good. Ed Norton makes a good Owen Wilson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSEzGDzZ1dY

I was coming on to post this. His impression is dead on. As is the camera work.

He's released a new short film with Jason Schwartzman, Prada's footed the bill.