Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:13:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

TVs , wirleless internet, MacBook problems

Started by Birdie, October 18, 2013, 09:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birdie

So we've just bought a new TV which connects to the internet.  My Macbook now won't connect to the internet in the lounge; my iphone has trouble also but not so bad.  Everyone's laptops are ok - just my MacBook.

It works fine in the bedroom.

I turned the TV off completely (not on standby) - no difference. 

Can it be the TV interfering with the connection somehow - seems a coincidence.

Endicott

Some TVs generate their own wi-fi signal, so that you can upload photos to them. That could interfere, but if turning off the TV makes no difference, then its not the TV.

If you're still having problems and assuming its really not something to do with the macbook, perhaps you need to analyse your wi-fi signals. There is free software available to do this.

Perhaps some of these? I've never used them[nb]I've got a different one on my phone (shown in this vid, channels explained, you only need the first minute and a half)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7PTIn-dW4c[/nb], I just did a google. You need one that'll tell you what channels are being used by you and by your neighbours. Wi-fi will work with less interferance if it's got a channel to itself. You should be able to adjust your router to broadcast on a different channel if you find there are serveral signals on the same channel.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/121211-wifi-tools-253789.html
has some for mac in there somewhere

this is for mac
http://www.netspotapp.com/

NoSleep

You may have to set "configure IPv4" to "Manually" (in System Preferences/Network) and enter all the fields by hand; this has helped me in the past, when Airport didn't want to connect. What may be the issue is that the Mac and the TV both want to use the same gateway, so fixing the Mac's one permanently (to another address) will avoid this.

Birdie

My husband was looking into this and the suggestion was that we might need a second router.  I might phone our internet provider for advice - I'm sure we cant' be the only people who've encountered this! I did google a lot of stuff but to be honest, it's all a bit technical for me:)

Thanks for your help though - I'm sure I'll get it sorted.  Otherwise I'll just have to accept being banished to the bedroom!

werfvgbhnj

You probably only want one router on the network at a time. You might be looking for another access point to extend the range. in which case you can use a cheap Belkin router with its routing functionality disabled to achieve that (but you have to solve the problem of how to hook it up to your first router in a way that doesn't just clog up the airwaves more; my suggestion is powerline networking adaptors).

It's probably just interference. If you can connect fine in the bedroom don't go messing with your connection settings to set a manual IP; you'll get it wrong if you don't know the right numbers (which subnet, etc.) and you clearly aren't having DHCP[nb]the thing the router does to tell your computer which numbers to use in those boxes[/nb] problems if it works fine when you're in a range.

Are you running a wireless N router? Those deal with interference problems better than previous wireless standards. It would be a cheap upgrade; I've found that this works great, and tends to cost 30 of whatever your local currency is. Just disable your existing router's wifi, set the new router to work in access point mode and connect the two with an ethernet cable.

BlodwynPig