Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:22:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Iannucci Twenty Minutes - Use Your Ears

Started by 12 years, 11 months old, August 04, 2004, 11:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: "BBC Pres Office"BBC RADIO 3 Wednesday 18 August
Twenty Minutes – Use Your Ears
8.25-8.45pm BBC RADIO 3

Armando Iannucci explores how people listen to music, and why our response is not just about the piece of music in itself, but also about the circumstances in which we hear it: who we're with, whether we rushed to get there, and what else is on our mind.

Iannucci looks at how musical literacy influences the listener (if the ability to sing, read or play an instrument alters the way listeners hear music) and how music can stay in the background or instantly become the focus of attention.

He explores how music affects emotions and looks at a range of influences such as tempo, dynamics and key.

Social psychologist David Hargreaves reveals that 45 per cent of people's working lives are taken up with music of some kind, and claims that music does have the power to alter the way people feel and behave.

Presenter/Armando Iannucci, Producer/Jessica Isaacs

Sounds like more of a straight piece than Mobile Phones Off, will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Dr David V

Good find 12Y11MO, looking forward to this!

butnut

Bilko

Makes you feel like the boss cock when you find something like that and post it before anyone else.

Darrell

Excellent. He's doing a lot of these radio specials - is he trying to fill a box set or something?

benthalo

He's been signed back to the BBC, so I would assume they're actively getting him to do whatever he likes. Possibly in return for doing something dodgy.

Nice to see he's working with the same producer as Mobile Phones Off! This could be the start of a great tradition.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Mobile Phone Off! was lovely. Comedians enthusing about subjects they have a real passion for is always great (check out Kevin Eldon's show about nicheren Buddhism, for example).

He has done similar things in the past. I've only heard the first episode of In Excess, but it's a great documentary that examines it's subject/s in an original way.

This is on tonight, possibly delayed in usual Radio 3 style.

Village Branson

On at 8.15pm according to radiotimes site, not 8.25 like it says in that article up at the top.

I'd just tape radio 3 from 8 til 9, only way to be sure.

Thanks for that - final bump, it's on any minute now...

Pinball

Pinball

Okay it's shared in my BBC7 folder on't Soulseek (URL to follow courtesy of Neil). I'm a bit annoyed that Radio 3 screwed up the credits at the end - it was a sound level error on their part and not me, honest guvnor! At least they didn't cut Armando himself off...
QuoteTwenty Minutes
Use Your Ears
Armando Ianucci takes a quirky look at how we listen to music. Why is our response to music not just about
the piece of music in itself, but also about the circumstances in which we hear it - Who we're with, whether we rushed
to get there, what else is on our mind. How musically literate do you have to be to appreciate classical music? And does more music in our lives, mean that we listen less? Armando explores these questions with the social psychologist, David Hargreaves.

Duration:
20 minutes

Notice how they misspelt his name too. Gerrrrr...

Ben Ordinary

Thank you for the download, all those concerned. I had geared my entire bath last night round listening to this and not that I dont find classic music enchanting and delightful (especially when it runs several minutes over) but I really wish I'd taken a book with me.

Anyone notice the appearance of "Coogan's (Possibly Stolen) Theory Of Comedy Numbers" as first heard in the IAP1 commentary, concerning which numbers are actually funny?

Purple Tentacle

I thought it was lovely. I liked his point about how it is incredibly rude to listen to classical music while doing something else.

I need to listen to it again, the only thing I can think of saying is "awah, that was NICE."  Which is a bit pointless really.

Dr David V

Bump. This is lovely. Thanks Pinball/Neil.