Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,187
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:51:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Chris Morris Music Show

Started by kitsofan34, October 26, 2013, 01:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Rhoid

Have been listening to these at the office and keep having to stifle giggles, really enjoying them.

Would be grateful for an ID on this organ business that Chris plays under the show summaries, assumed it was Sly and The Family Stone but haven't found anything (54 second mark);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tAh-jv1CbkI#t=54

DJ Solid Snail

Quote from: Pink Rhoid on January 18, 2014, 02:20:48 PM
Have been listening to these at the office and keep having to stifle giggles, really enjoying them.

Would be grateful for an ID on this organ business that Chris plays under the show summaries, assumed it was Sly and The Family Stone but haven't found anything (54 second mark);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tAh-jv1CbkI#t=54

Funkadelic - You Hit the Nail on the Head, opening track on America Eats Its Young.

Nelson

Yeah, just wanted to say thanks for these. I've finally got round to listening to them again. Can't believe they're almost 20 years old. Really appreciate the effort that has gone into preserving and archiving these tremendous bits of broadcasting. Thank you.

Thomas

Ant and Dec do a thing where they get some earpieced-up celebrity to say ridiculous stuff an unsuspecting person, and Peter Andre has just had to say 'tuba, tuba, tuba, tuba' in the very same manner as Paul Garner's 'chooba, chooba, chooba' in that hotel lobby.

I'll bet it's linked. Plagiarists' Corner at chrismorris.co.uk.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Thomas on March 29, 2014, 08:07:26 PM
Ant and Dec do a thing where they get some earpieced-up celebrity to say ridiculous stuff an unsuspecting person, and Peter Andre has just had to say 'tuba, tuba, tuba, tuba' in the very same manner as Paul Garner's 'chooba, chooba, chooba' in that hotel lobby.

I'll bet it's linked. Plagiarists' Corner at chrismorris.co.uk.

You insensitive bastard! That's all Andre's been able to say since Katie Price left him.

Tiny Poster

Are the Dawson Bros still writing for it?

Thomas

Are they Morris fans?[nb]silly question to ask about present-day Peter Sera'/Mitchell and Webb comedy writers, I suppose.[/nb]

This 'tuba, tuba, tuba' bit came from Ant. Peter Andre was heading towards a tuba, so Ant jumped in with 'say tuba tuba tuba'.

sbahnhof

Have you heard this story before? Apparently Morris recorded an announcement that a plane was going to crash into the M23, and it got pulled, maybe from the Boxing Day show.

As posted on a very old newsgroup in 1996, alt.illuminati - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.illuminati/jerD0ON-sp0%5B1-25-false%5D

Quote from: Andy J(re: Brass Eye: Noel Edmonds denounces Chris Morris!)

Here were some of the items from his Radio 1 broadcast beamed out in the
early afternoon, Boxing Day a couple of years ago. Keep in mind that this
was a "family" day. No children at school, with many people perhaps in
cars etc., listening to this respected BBC station with their children.

1) A sketch about Jesus masturbating over St. Peters Square.
2) A  pretence that Jimmy Saville had died.

And here's one that I understand a quick thinking tech managed to pull
from the tape, seconds before it was about to be broadcast.

3) A warning that a jumbo jet was about to crash land on the M23 Motorway
and that everybody should get out their cars and run for their lives.

Supporters of Chris Morris, will no doubt tell us that this was all
hysterical. In fact you or I could do better. Not only could we come up
with bizarre ideas that are painfully funny, but we could do it without
causing offence at a time of Christian celebration. We could do it
without upsetting close friends or relatives of Jimmy Saville (including
many people in hospital who he has cared for).

Only a rumour, and I'm not sure how that person would've heard about it. But it certainly rings true that Morris could've done a joke news item like that. I can imagine it now...

SimonJT

I've just been listening to the shows again. They're great, obviously - I've always been a bit down on the prank aspect of Morris's work, as it's my least favourite type of comedy, but have completely warmed to it, as he gets about 1,000 times as much humour out of it as normal. However, there's one bit, in the penultimate episode I think, where he tells someone that Meatloaf has died, and they say something like "Oh, what sad news. He was such an immense talent." And that's it. Where's the humour there? With most of his pranks - either Paul Garner, or the Hesletine announcement, or the interviews - it's a springboard for some amazing surreal flight of imagination, but this seems like the worst of "wind-up" humour: making people react in a way that any normal person would, then running away laughing. There's an Adam & Joe clip that takes the piss out of this, but I can't find it.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Not heard the show for ages, but wasn't the joke that it was celebs who didn't know Meatloaf personally acting in that overfamiliar way celebs do, in the hope of making their grief a media soundbite?

You're right though, I have no time for jokes where the joke is; 'we said/did something and the recipient acted exactly as you'd expect.' Morris typically manages to extract far more interesting, unexpected flights of fancy from his interviewees.

Quote from: Neil on October 26, 2013, 01:51:33 PM
I'm recompiling the whole collection so it's as complete as possible.  Louis kindly did some new recordings for shows that were a bit patchy, so those have been getting added.  I think the first folder is the one to go for.  Everything should be there, but as I say, I'm finishing recompiling the whole set with the new remasters.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7nwws075tk5vj#t0rbpb9u16raz http://www.mediafire.com/?7nwws075tk5vj#eam9z7jhfzxjd

I know I'm really late, but thanks so much for this Neil.  This is awesome.