Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:56:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies

Started by Consignia, October 29, 2013, 06:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consignia

The latest instalment in this series got a UK release last week, and I've been playing the hell out of it. I just finished it last night, and I must say it was brill. A bit of a return to form after the dull fourth instalment, and the courtroom-less side games. I don't think it quite captures the brilliance of the first one, but it feels like it spends more time in court where others spend a lot of time pixel hunting crime scenes. It's also quite fun to play three different lawyers and their different cross-examination techniques.

If anyone else enjoys the series, I'd say give this one a tinkle.

madhair60

Had some cash in the eShop wallet so I couldn't resist nabbing this on release.  I'm going through it staggeringly slowly, though.  Still on case 1.  No spoilers please. :)

Digging it.  I think the graphical improvements really breathe new life into the series.  The first one was the best by miles, 2 and 3 were largely slogs for me with a few notable cases (Matt EnGarde in 2, the final case in 3), and I never finished 4.  Wasn't bothered with the Edgeworth games either, though he is the best character for me.

Also, there are some free DLC costumes available in-game for a limited time.

Consignia

Quote from: madhair60 on October 29, 2013, 06:31:35 PM
I think the graphical improvements really breathe new life into the series.

I know, right? It gives it a nice dynamic feel to the scenes. The only thing I don't like is the animated cut scenes. I feel they remove way more than they add. Thankfully there isn't a lot of them. The voice work too feels really poor as well, the shouts don't feel as powerful and again the cut scenes let it down in this respect.

I had always regarded the series with interest, looked like it had a nice sense of humour but I played the demo for this and everything was so heavily sign-posted, I don't see how you could possibly lose a case. Is it ever not like that?

madhair60

Quote from: The Region Legion on October 30, 2013, 09:20:41 PM
I had always regarded the series with interest, looked like it had a nice sense of humour but I played the demo for this and everything was so heavily sign-posted, I don't see how you could possibly lose a case. Is it ever not like that?

Well, the demo is the demo.  It's the tutorial case.

But no, the games aren't really that tough in my opinion, though there is satisfying logic in there.

Consignia

DLC chapter is coming out next week where your defendant is a killer whale. TAKE MY MONEY NOW, CAPCOM!

Consignia

I just finished the DLC, and it was pretty good. I'd rank it is probably one of the best cases made for the series. It's not even as LOLRANDOM as it may seem, and there isn't much animal whimsy either.

I'm onto the second case of this. Finished the Bomber one.
I only ever played the first Case of the original Ace Attorney back in the day, but bloody hell, I love these games.
This one is absolutely gorgeous, isn't it? The animations of the characters just look absolutely fantastic. I could watch people tap their fringes all day.

And it's also genuinely incredibly funny and quite clever. I'm slowly ingraining myself in the internal logic of the puzzle solving, as you need to sort of adjust yourself to it, because sometimes I find myself trying to solve different things at a point where I'm supposed to be concentrating on the smaller picture.

But I'm having such fun with this. I've laughed out loud quite a few times so far. Just has a very nice sense of humour.

The only caveat is that I enjoyed playing as Athena when it starts, and then when Phoenix arrives, she goes all girly and "Oh, thank god you came. I need you here to do this". Which really did annoy me. She's quite a likable character and they set her up as still being fairly green at all this, but I'd much prefer to be playing as her than Phoenix.

I mean, hey! Phoenix is a nice enough handsome anime man and all, but the way they treated the female character definitely felt a bit backwards.

But like I said, I've only beat that first beginner 'tutorial' case, and the way it's set it up, it seems like I may get to be playing all three of those characters, so maybe they'll address that and give her more agency.

But yeah, having an absolute ball.

Some of my most authentic wanks were playing Ace Attourney. I love the two-frame squidgy fake tits animation/art style. I could never decide whether I preferred Maya or Mia Fey but my all-time favourite was that slag actress. If anyone can remind me of her name, it would make my Christmas.

Consignia

Quote from: Bored of Canada on December 25, 2013, 10:55:41 AM

The only caveat is that I enjoyed playing as Athena when it starts, and then when Phoenix arrives, she goes all girly and "Oh, thank god you came. I need you here to do this". Which really did annoy me. She's quite a likable character and they set her up as still being fairly green at all this, but I'd much prefer to be playing as her than Phoenix.

I mean, hey! Phoenix is a nice enough handsome anime man and all, but the way they treated the female character definitely felt a bit backwards.

To be fair, that is only the first case, and Athena has legitimate reasons for having a panic attack. You'll see later on, but I think she is handled sufficiently well as a character.

Consignia

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 25, 2013, 11:08:31 AM
Some of my most authentic wanks were playing Ace Attourney. I love the two-frame squidgy fake tits animation/art style. I could never decide whether I preferred Maya or Mia Fey but my all-time favourite was that slag actress. If anyone can remind me of her name, it would make my Christmas.

I'm not sure who you are talking of here, possibley Dee Vasquez?

Probably best a flick through the rogue's gallery here: http://www.court-records.net/Characters.htm

Thanks, I think I was thinking of April May.

Also had a boner for Angel Starr.

I finally finished this today.
Man, I absolutely loved the thing. Just such a fun and lovely thing. And the very ending part before the credits was just such a perfect touch. I played most of the very first one on a friend's DS back in the day, but I'm going to pick up the rest of the series online and go through them all chronologically. Won't be more than 12 bucks around, I'm sure. They won't look as lovely as this one, but I just enjoy them so much. I'll start with the DLC one for this, but yeah, I'm actually the most interested in the Edgeworth spin off one. As you'd actually be prosecuting as opposed to defending, which would be an interesting change, and makes more logical sense. There sure is a lot of people framed for murder in these games.

But yeah, lovely thing. Favourite thing on my 3DS.

madhair60

There's been a re-release of the first three games on one card announced for 3DS - currently Japan-only, but keep an eye on it.

Quote from: madhair60 on January 22, 2014, 03:14:57 PM
There's been a re-release of the first three games on one card announced for 3DS - currently Japan-only, but keep an eye on it.

Oh lovely! I'll look into it.

madhair60

Quote from: madhair60 on January 22, 2014, 03:22:55 PM
Here's a thread

I didn't realise all this stuff happened today! It's a weird coincidence that I posted that shortly after it was announced to people. I had no idea. If I hear about an WAhoo download soon, I'll definitely pick them up. But I'll look into getting a cheap copy in from the US. Someone in that thread said that the original DS cartridges aren't region locked, so that seems the best idea.

madhair60

Oh, yeah, if you can get the originals for cheap, then do so.  You can also get the iOs re-releases but if I recall correctly it smooths out a lot of the art, to its detriment.

I still have barely played this one (AA5).  I'll get there eventually.

Consignia

Quote from: Bored of Canada on January 22, 2014, 02:55:07 PM
...  I'm actually the most interested in the Edgeworth spin off one. As you'd actually be prosecuting as opposed to defending,...

Sadly, you don't do any prosecuting. It's more of a classic adventure game, with a couple of confrontation bits that play out a bit like the courtroom battles.

I wouldn't hold my breath for the 3DS re-release of the originals either. It might get a 3DS Download, but in an actual cartridge is unlikely as we keep getting it rammed down our throats that series didn't sell vast numbers. But the original DS releases must be going for buttons now, so it should be easy to grab the classics without hurting your wallet.

lazarou

QuoteBut the original DS releases must be going for buttons now, so it should be easy to grab the classics without hurting your wallet.
Last I checked, they weren't super expensive, but still more than you'd think. Something in the region of $15-25 each.

Consignia

Here's the trailer to the aforementioned 3DS remake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPmZlk7oOOM

Quote from: lazarou on January 22, 2014, 11:10:06 PM
Last I checked, they weren't super expensive, but still more than you'd think. Something in the region of $15-25 each.

It doesn't sound too expensive to me, but I guess in the context of the iOS prices, it's probably comparatively greater.

The 3DS itself is region locked, correct? But the DS cartridges aren't? So can I import DS cartridges from anywhere and play them on my 3DS?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Bored of Canada on January 23, 2014, 01:15:23 PM
The 3DS itself is region locked, correct? But the DS cartridges aren't? So can I import DS cartridges from anywhere and play them on my 3DS?

Yes, DS games are region-free but 3DS ones are locked.

Consignia

Quote from: Bored of Canada on January 23, 2014, 01:15:23 PM

DS games in general are region free, however DSi enhanced games are locked. I'd be shocked if you ever came across one though. I've got one that I can no longer play now my DS is knackered :/.

lazarou

Quote from: Consignia on January 23, 2014, 10:37:59 AM

It doesn't sound too expensive to me, but I guess in the context of the iOS prices, it's probably comparatively greater.
I was thinking more in the context of used DS games, which typically don't hold their value nearly as well. The PW games are one of those series niche enough but with enough of a cult following to still be worth at least something. I think euro copies go for more still, due to the relatively limited amount of them in the wild.

I think the Professor Layton crossover with Phoenix Wright is out. Only read the Eurogamer review for it so far but it was very positive.

I've not played a Layton game but I'd be up for this as those puzzles would likely add some more gameplay to the PW format. Plus there's a new mechanic where you have to cross examine multiple witnesses and call them out for their reactions to statements, which might make things more complex.