Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:53:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How to Fully Appreciate Brass Eye

Started by phil6875, February 11, 2004, 12:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil6875

Recently I dowloaded the 'Decline' episode but the picture kept freezing near the start so I ended up just listening to the soundtrack and I realised that like all the best Morris work it works best in sound alone. Try it.
I always thought that  the weakness of Brass Eye & Jam was the fact that you saw the same people in most scenes and this seriously affected the 'suspension of disbelief' that is vital for these shows. Obviously the scenes that depend a lot on the visuals won't work but overall this is the best way IMHO to fully appreciate these programs.

Any views?

Darrell

1) Buy the DVD, you tramp. It was about eight sodding quid the last time I checked.

2) I'm always irritated by people who go on about seeing a regular cast all the time playing all the parts as a bad thing. This is a good thing. Otherwise it's like the Armando Iannucci Shows and full of incredibly poor actors with little or no comedic talent or grasp of the material in question. You should positively embrace strong comedy teams - they give off a lovely warm 'we're doing comedy!' buzz which should be encouraged.

3) Brass Eye works best when both sound and vision are digested at once. There's a ridiculous amount of visual detail been put in there, so why ignore it?

4) Anyone who has trouble 'suspending their disbelief' in general at any TV show / film is clearly an unimaginative dullard.

Vermschneid Mehearties

QuoteThis is a good thing. Otherwise it's like the Armando Iannucci Shows and full of incredibly poor actors with little or no comedic talent or grasp of the material in question

Totally disagree. I think it was one of its strengths. Imagine TAIS if it was done by just 4 or 5 people. It'd be more like the League of Gentleman with a scottish narrator.

It wasn't so much of an issue with BE, because news and documentaries feature a similar and consistent cast anyway.

On an aside, was the 'Slyvester Stewart' and 'Tony Hayers' guy that tooth fairy on one of the sketches in the TAIS? There is only one good shot of his face from the front and it looked remarkably similar to his mangled bonce. I only ask because if so, then that's his only appearance in the series.

benthalo

Aye, it's David Schneider who also directed bits of AIS.

There are nearly 100 performers in AIS as I recall.

DuncanC

I much preferred the "unknowns" on the Armando shows. In fact I remember thinking it wouldn't have worked nearly as well with any of the usual gang, and how that was a major flaw in Jam for me. I don't find a "doing comedy" buzz any more appealing than a "being dark and clever" buzz, to be honest. Being funny over the top of it is what's important, and the 'Shows definitely were.

Gavin

Quote from: "Darrell"1) Buy the DVD, you tramp. It was about eight sodding quid the last time I checked.

2) I'm always irritated by people who go on about seeing a regular cast all the time playing all the parts as a bad thing. This is a good thing. Otherwise it's like the Armando Iannucci Shows and full of incredibly poor actors with little or no comedic talent or grasp of the material in question. You should positively embrace strong comedy teams - they give off a lovely warm 'we're doing comedy!' buzz which should be encouraged.

3) Brass Eye works best when both sound and vision are digested at once. There's a ridiculous amount of visual detail been put in there, so why ignore it?

4) Anyone who has trouble 'suspending their disbelief' in general at any TV show / film is clearly an unimaginative dullard.

Different name, same pompous twat.

TotalNightmare

i use EYES...

thats the best way i can see for watching BE...

Of course, Ears help... Of course they do!

El Unicornio, mang

Incidentally, the guy from the 'decline' episode who plays the father of the delinquent kid also plays the crazy guy with the dead Vietnamese friend in Full Metal Jacket.
I've said this before but I'm repeating myself cos I think it's a vaguely interesting fact.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: "Gavin"}Different name, same pompous twat.[/quote

Yep. Except more often than not, he's right.

Does the original poster have trouble suspending his disbelief when he sees someone he recognises as an actor in a programme/film?

"Aww, that's not really Don Corleone, it's that upstart from Rebel Without A Cause!"

imitationleather

Haha, great name, Beloved Aunt.

I assume it's a Curb Your Enthusiasm reference, and not because you actually are a beloved aunt?

Godzilla Bankrolls

Yes, it's a CYE reference. Without wanting to sound like a twat, though, can we keep this sort of on topic?

Ambient Sheep

Hmmm, I can see what's meant about cast members you recognise, though.

One of the joys for me when I first saw TDT is that I recognised hardly anybody in it, so when they had things like the Barbara Wintergreen sections it really did look like *genuine* news footage, not full of faces you knew.

Of course now quite a bit of that's lost, although it doesn't stop me still enjoying it hugely.

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Quote from: "Darrell"
2) I'm always irritated by people who go on about seeing a regular cast all the time playing all the parts as a bad thing. This is a good thing.

Unless it's Mark "Ooh, I'll move my eyes from side-to-side and talk in a disjointed manner each sketch to show how truly ODD I am" Heap

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "NobodyGetsOutAlive"
Unless it's Mark "Ooh, I'll move my eyes from side-to-side and talk in a disjointed manner each sketch to show how truly ODD I am" Heap
Oi, I really like Mark Heap. He was great in Big Train, and I think he does a bit more than speak in a silly voice and move his eyes.

Darrell

Nah, Mark Heap's a very limited comedy actor, although I could name worse. As is Julia Davis, although she thinks she isn't. Eldon was fantastic before Jam, now he just either does that stupid wobbly, bewildered voice or that shocked face. Amelia Bulmore isn't fantastic either, although she's better than Julia Davis. Simon Pegg's incredibly limited as well.

I must say - having a limited acting range is fine as long as you're funny (Marber, Schneider, Iannucci even), but Pegg etc are just on the wrong side of annoying, not visibly living and breathing comedy like the greats do.

Johnny Yesno

Fucking hell. Now I know why I don't come in here often. I'm buggering off back to GB or GD or Whatever or whatever it is these days.
All hail The Chuckle Reich!

Shipping

Quote from: "Gavin"
Quote from: "Darrell"1) Buy the DVD, you tramp. It was about eight sodding quid the last time I checked.

Different name, same pompous twat.

I'm new to this, so don't know what he was like before.... but Shit,  what an arse-hole reply!

I don't even agree with the main thread, but it still seemed a mildly interesting view!

Darrell

Quote from: "Shipping"I'm new to this, so don't know what he was like before.... but Shit,  what an arse-hole reply!

I don't even agree with the main thread, but it still seemed a mildly interesting view!

I made 4 points, all of which stood and still stand. Are you going to contribute to the thread or just criticise people's posts like some internet Tom Paulin?

butnut

Isn't Shipping having a go at Gavin and not you Darrell? That's the way I read it.

Shipping

no....I was having a go at Darrell.

Fuck it though... I'm just as good at being an arse-hole - the older I get the less I can be bothered to be rude to people!

butnut

Quote from: "Shipping"no....I was having a go at Darrell.

Oh - not a good idea at this time of the month

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Hmm..can't say I agree with calling the poor guy a tramp for not buying the dvd (although he should really) but I'm sure we all though (well, I know I did anyway) something along the lines of
Quote3) Brass Eye works best when both sound and vision are digested at once. There's a ridiculous amount of visual detail been put in there, so why ignore it?

And

Quote4) Anyone who has trouble 'suspending their disbelief' in general at any TV show / film is clearly an unimaginative dullard.

is true, but a bit of a harsh way of saying it.

Jemble Fred

Actually, one thing that really does work better in audio only is 'A Life In Pieces'. It's far better to let Sir Arthur's words float around in your brain and form their own nightmare.

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Darrell

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"Actually, one thing that really does work better in audio only is 'A Life In Pieces'. It's far better to let Sir Arthur's words float around in your brain and form their own nightmare.

Yes, this is true! You also don't get distracted by the appalling editing-in of Ludovic Kennedy's questions.