Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:55:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How come there's no interest in archive Chris Morris?

Started by Neil, November 15, 2013, 11:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caprilusa

I'd probably put a permanent advert/ link at the top of the forum banner linking to the archive chris morris stuff.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Neil on November 16, 2013, 12:27:01 AM
CaB links being removed and then banned from wiki certainly hasn't helped.

Why have they been removed? I think I found this site through a link on Wiki, so that's a shit turn of events if true.

I'm sure there's plenty looking for obscure Chris Morris bits out there with no idea where to go. It's a shame that this can't be properly considered the closest thing to an official site for CM. It'd be entirely appropriate for this site to be on the first page when Googling Chris Morris.

zomgmouse

Hangthebuggers

Quote from: Neil on November 15, 2013, 11:45:49 PM
Thomas, that was the GLR version where he also talks about the joy of helium balloons. I LOVE the Sue Cook bit. A classic CM horse reference.

SMBH no one really looks at stickys. They're like the warnings on feg packets, the eyes just automatically phase them out. I would live to get loads more CM fans in, but have no idea how. This separate sub forum was supposed to help, but it's so dead we end up using CC for certain topics. Anyway, I know this is all a bit "oh boo fucking hoo", but it has puzzled me for years. The kids/internets used to be mad about Chris Morris and his big mad hair.

Neil - how about you change the front page a little? Every time I look it seems to be outdated. The Maria Bamford thing has been there since November 2012. I think changing this can help a little.

If that's the first thing they see, then they might think it's not being updated much. Maybe put some requests out for archive CM stuff or requests for ideas at least.

Regards HTB

Harpo Speaks

Probably been mentioned elsewhere, but it appears some rehearsal footage of Morris and Coogan from I'm Alan Patridge is going to surface next year thanks to Rhys Thomas. Could be interesting.

momatt

Quote from: Neil on November 16, 2013, 12:27:01 AMthe general fan simply won't be that bothered.
The ones who are though: where are they?

I'm bothered.  Love any new Morris stuff I can get, so please keep at it Neil!

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on December 02, 2013, 11:52:41 PMsome rehearsal footage of Morris and Coogan from I'm Alan Patridge is going to surface next year thanks to Rhys Thomas.

I would very much like to see this.  Keep us posted if it surfaces please.  :)

NoSleep

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 26, 2013, 10:39:47 PM
Why have they been removed? I think I found this site through a link on Wiki, so that's a shit turn of events if true.

It's probably because Wiki tries to avoid opinion, which makes up a major percentage of CaB. I wonder if they're generally down on fansites? I know the Les Rallizes Denudes page links to a fansite, but that is essentially a discography & lyrics archive.

Possibly Morris himself manages the wiki page. Has he ever expressed an opinion about CaB?

TJ

There was also a bit of a silly edit war that went on when someone with a grudge kept removing the CaB link as 'non-notable', 'non'NPOV' etc, which resulted in a few over-loyal forum types going about editing a link to CaB into all kinds of related (Osymyso etc) and, well, unrelated pages. They meant well but I think that got it onto some kind of blacklist. But the past is the past and I'm sure putting in a couple of sensible abiding-by-the-rules links here and there again now would last the course. Especially if you dredge up some quotes or info on the site that can be linked to.

Really enjoying these clips by the way!

Neil

Glad you're enjoying them!

I just tried to add the CaB link back to the CM page when Four Lions came out, and to the OTH page.  Someone had added those links years before, and there's never been a problem, and I considered it a bit dodgy given the time of removal. They considered this spamming and blacklisted CaB links for good. Loads of British Comedy Guide links on wiki, which I queried, but a wiki mod is a regular on there, so... That's the petty, cunty way wiki works, it's policed by a load of biased, power-tripping nerds.

Vaughan Green queried the banning a year or so ago, but they flatly turned that down. They're happy enough to take content from here and everywhere else, though.

TJ

The most galling thing for me was seeing the entire Hardwicke House page remodelled based on the article on it in my book, without acknowledging me, only for a link to the book itself to be removed as 'spam'. I'm not normally that precious about credit and am hardly a frenzied salesman, but that really rankled and said it all about the way Wikipedia works to me. I think any Morris fan with half a brain can see the lack of a link to this place is pathetic, though. It's the nearest there's ever been to an official site.

Neil

They're thieving cunts, and widely regarded as corrupt. Jimbo Wales started favourably editing the page of Fox anchor Rachel Marsden, once she started shagging him, for instance.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions, yes I'll start updating the front page and stuff again.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: NoSleep on December 03, 2013, 11:38:17 AM
Possibly Morris himself manages the wiki page. Has he ever expressed an opinion about CaB?

I've always wondered that too.

Melth

Always interested in hearing more archive Morris, particularly the GLR shows, but I can't find these any more, either on C&B itself or on the Mediafire page. It's something I've been meaning to get around to exploring properly for years, but - and I could be missing something very obvious here - they haven't all been downloadable from a single source for a very long time. I've heard relatively little GLR and would be particularly keen on finding more examples of Ten Ideas to Change the World. I've not heard my very favourite one, possibly the very best three minutes CM has produced - "lobbing crayfish", etc. - in years. Also, are the four No Known Cure shows on that page the only ones that anyone's been able to source and upload?

A lot of comedy fans don't seem particularly bothered about exploring archive material of any sort. I've met people who describe themselves as fans of Chris Morris who aren't even aware of his radio career.

momatt

Quote from: Melth on December 23, 2013, 11:27:48 AM
I've met people who describe themselves as fans of Chris Morris who aren't even aware of his radio career.

Never speak to these people again.

glitch

I went to pick up the remaining Jam radio stuff, as I'd only ever downloaded series 2 from here. The links all seem dead - is there any chance of them being uploaded or is that not going to happen in a post-MegaUpload/etc. Internet?

glitch

A-ha! I was going by the links from this page. Thanks for the working link, will grab them now!

Thomas

You've got some great stuff on that YouTube of yours, Neil. I'm listening to Morris on Radio 5, 1992 at the moment.

weirdbeard

How about a few sticky threads in this forum, eg. 'GLR Radio Shows, Download Links & Discussion'.  Keep things simple.  I'll upload everything I have and any new content/upgrades/replacement links can be requested in the same topic.

Neil

That's a good idea, I'll do some other threads like the Blue Jam ones. Doing more of those new GLR tapes today, and was thinking along the lines of a separate thread per show, but that might be better, and then I can keep the first posts updated with edits.

(Glad you're enjoying, Thomas.)

weirdbeard

Quote from: Neil on January 18, 2014, 02:52:47 PM
That's a good idea, I'll do some other threads like the Blue Jam ones. Doing more of those new GLR tapes today, and was thinking along the lines of a separate thread per show, but that might be better, and then I can keep the first posts updated with edits.

Yep, that's the idea. Always good to keep the first post updated so any new people can get stuck right in. I think finding and downloading content at the moment is one almighty pain in the arse and I certainly can't be bothered mining through every single damn show page to see if the link is still working. Keep in all in one place and if if any link goes down and someone wants it, they can ask there and then and someone can fulfil the request if need be.

If you want to make some new topics then I'll start chucking a few upload links in.  At the very least people can download and talk about the shows easily enough, and the topics can be refined over time.  Think Multiupload works, but if anyone has any suggestions for any better hosting sites?...

Neil

I think it's largely all on my media fire folder. As you say, I'm keen to keep it in one place, and make it so that people are getting the upgrades instead of ending up with the older, shittier copies, so I can share the login if you like? I could definitely do with some help in terms of making sure the archive is as solid as it should be.

weirdbeard

Quote from: Neil on January 18, 2014, 03:10:57 PM
I think it's largely all on my media fire folder. As you say, I'm keen to keep it in one place, and make it so that people are getting the upgrades instead of ending up with the older, shittier copies, so I can share the login if you like? I could definitely do with some help in terms of making sure the archive is as solid as it should be.

Sounds good to me.

DJ Solid Snail

Yeah, I think your Mediafire link needs to be a bit more prominent on the front page, too. I've noticed quite a few people requesting links because they haven't spotted it.

weirdbeard

Quote from: DJ Solid Snail on January 18, 2014, 04:01:42 PM
Yeah, I think your Mediafire link needs to be a bit more prominent on the front page, too. I've noticed quite a few people requesting links because they haven't spotted it.

The front page needs to emphasise we have this content and forum in the first place.  You scroll two thirds of the page down to find this strange Morris-heavy column on the left. Absolutely nothing on the top half bar a picture.  Now we all know this website has evolved away from the Morris focus onto general comedy chat, and that's all well and good and why we're all here, but if this website is still to have a Morris focus, then it needs to be better presented and maintained.  That doesn't require a top-to-bottom overhaul of the site. And that could be achieved with a little bit of front page attention and a handful of ongoing threads. And get that golden content out there, old and new.

Neil

Gimme a sketch or something of what you think would be better, and I'll get to work on it.

weirdbeard

I dunno.  Whilst you're on the hunt for a new logo, maybe you could incorporate that into an animated banner detailing the various forum subjects, so one for Morris with picture, and just a short description of what we have.  And another one for Comedy Chat, CAB Radio and so on.