Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,478
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:45:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Arduinos

Started by doppelkorn, November 18, 2013, 01:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doppelkorn

To be honest I'm not sure if this is the right section.

Could be a General Bullshit[nb]That's right, I'm a traditionalist[/nb] topic, possibly even Oscillations. Ideally it should be on some kind of hobby electronics forum.

I have a small, cheap Gakken SX-150 synth that does not natively support midi in.

There are several mods online explaining how to do it, all of which involve some kind of microcontroller, mostly the Arduino.

I had a look at these a few years ago when I was more into electronics and now is a reasonable time to get back into it, seeing as I have a concrete use case but I'm not sure which one to get.

The whole circuit needs to receive and parse midi in and spit out a PWM signal which is then dealt with by a DAC to generate a smooth control voltage (cv) signal for my synth.

I'm basically following the example here..

So should I get the Arduino Uno, Micro, Leonardo, Mini, Due?

The specs on the website are completely baffling.

Seeing as it's a one-use thing and the board will be housed away doing one job for the rest of its life I want as cheap a thingie as possible, but not at the expense of functionality.

Could I perhaps make this circuitry using some other kind of controller that's less involved than an Arduino?

Does anyone understand what I'm talking about?

vrailaine

I was given a Leonardo thingy a week or so ago and most everything I've read since has recommended the Uno. Haven't really read into enough to know why, but it might just be due to it being the one most Arduino tutorials and stuff are based around.

Anyways, anyone got some tips for tutorials I could follow or whatever, lemme know!

Milo

There's quite a lot of stuff on learn.adafruit.com. I just got the official starter kit and have been slowly working through the projects in there. The starter kit is beautifully put together.

doppelkorn

Quote from: Milo on November 18, 2013, 02:15:03 PM
There's quite a lot of stuff on learn.adafruit.com. I just got the official starter kit and have been slowly working through the projects in there. The starter kit is beautifully put together.

BAM!

http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-arduino-selection-guide