Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:11:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Started by weekender, November 26, 2013, 05:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekender

This was a secret Cineworld Unlimited showing last night.

My favourite moment of the entire film was when the title came up on the BBFC classification screen, and the entire cinema let out a collective sigh of disappointment[nb]This actually happened, it was great.  My second favourite moment was getting a free chocolate bar, although technically I don't believe I can count this as part of the film.[/nb]. 

It also amused me when the security doorman told everyone on the way in to turn off their mobile phones, which they did, then when everyone got inside they just turned them back on again.  Not that anyone would want to bother pirating this anyway.

Do you want to know anything else about this travesty of a film[nb]This is a rhetorical question - trust me, you don't.  Really, don't go and see this - you'll hate it on the grounds that it's crap.  This is coming from someone who liked This Is The End.[/nb]?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteThis was a secret Cineworld Unlimited showing last night.

Dont fucking care

QuoteMy favourite moment of the entire film was

Oooh here we go

Quotewas when the title came up on the BBFC classification screen, and the entire cinema let out a collective sigh of disappointment

Sake. That's not about the film! Although I suppose it's mildly amusing.

QuoteIt also amused me

Fucking cheek on this cunt?

Quotewhen the security doorman told everyone on the way in to turn off their mobile phones, which they did, then when everyone got inside they just turned them back on again.  Not that anyone would want to bother pirating this anyway.

Why not?

QuoteDo you want to know anything else about this travesty of a film

Yes.

Noodle Lizard

The trailers are bad enough, but I'm pretty much on my own in suspecting it'll be anything but a triumph of the soul.

Head Gardener

I saw this yesterday too, the only good bit was it's use of an Arcade Fire song somewhere in the middle,
so

brat-sampson

I've just watched two trailers for this having never heard of it and other than looking like Stiller's managed to direct and star in his own bucket list, I'm none the wiser.

So, it's terrible, you say?

the psyche intangible

This is yet another case of 'If you've seen the trailer then you have seen the film'. I've had to endure the lengthy version at the cinema twice and Stiller needs a smack in the chops. The ads before Gravity went on for a nail-biting 45 mins I think, I'm sure that Minty shit was on for 10 minutes. Fumin' a was.

vrailaine

Had zero interest in whatever this is until just there now when I read the follow review summary

Quote from: some dude on Rotten Tomatoes
Kind of like if Akira Kurosawa's Ikiru were remade as an 114-minute Super Bowl commercial.

...that kind of sounds like something that's worth seeing.

I thought the trailers looked alright, if a bit overly sentimental.
Shame it's apparently rubbish.

kidsick5000

I hear different reviews of it. A lot of the more vitriolic seemed to take more offence at Stiller himself than at than the film. But even the positive aren't saying it's wonderful.

But it would be good to read more on here than just "saw it, it's crap". Especially if a new thread's created just for that purpose.

Quote from: weekender on November 26, 2013, 05:37:42 PM
This was a secret Cineworld Unlimited showing last night.

My favourite moment of the entire film was when the title came up on the BBFC classification screen, and the entire cinema let out a collective sigh of disappointment[nb]This actually happened, it was great.

I hadn't realised there was a new version, so I was imagining a cinema full of soulless twats who couldn't appreciate the Boris Karloff original. (Yes, I know most people would see it as a Danny Kaye film first and foremost, but any film with Karloff in it becomes a Karloff film by default as far as I'm concerned, though Kaye and Virginia Mayo provide sterling support here.)

checkoutgirl

Quote from: weekender on November 26, 2013, 05:37:42 PM
when the title came up on the BBFC classification screen, and the entire cinema let out a collective sigh of disappointment

Did the people there not know what film they were seeing? What is a secret showing and how do you get anyone to go if it's a secret?

Genuine questions.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 05, 2013, 05:03:29 PM
Did the people there not know what film they were seeing? What is a secret showing and how do you get anyone to go if it's a secret?

Genuine questions.

I think they're just for people who have those cineworld unlimited cards. They send you an email telling you when the showing is but you don't find out what film it is until you get there.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on December 05, 2013, 08:42:46 PM
They send you an email telling you when the showing is but you don't find out what film it is until you get there.

That's a bit mad, pot luck. So if you went along and Confessions Of A Shopaholic was on you'd be fucking fuming and probably storm out. Unless you were a woman who really liked the book and was waiting for the film version which is possible I suppose.