Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:37:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The little things that make you unhappy

Started by Manford Thirty-Sixborough, February 11, 2004, 02:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrorist

cheer up - it might happen to someone else.

Lt Plonker

People who come into the cinema, where I hope I still work, and ask for "Popcorn and drink", despite the fact that there are a thousand varieties and combinations available.

Also, people who don't bother to browse the menus while they are waiting to be served and hold up the line looking at the board when they confront me at the till.

Customers annoy me very much.

gazzyk1ns

Gah that reminds me of when I used ot be a letting agent, people would walk in, sit down purposefully in front of you, and after you've greeted them they'll say:

Umm.... houses...

Hairy Chin

Folk who don't say thanks after you've held a door open for them, or even raise four fingers from the steering wheel to gesture 'thanks' after you've pulled to one side for them to go past. Ungrateful people in general piss me off I suppose.

And many of the people around my street and the street of the house where I was house-sitting; they piss me off because they park their cars on the road instead of their driveways - FUCKING USE THEM! Out on the street they get in the frigging way. Try reversing out of a drive with a wall on one side at the right height to fuck up your wheel and the underside of your wheelarch if you hit it, with very little room behind you once you're on the road because some arse hasn't used their drive and either side of the drive you're reversing from is a car belonging to someone else. Or, in the case of my folks house, wher I am now, it's in a small cul-de-sac, and one of the families have a large enough drive to fit all three of their cars on, but they only park one on the drive and leave the other two in the street. Wankers.

People who think Stephen Hawking is called Stephen Hawkings or even Stephen Hawkins. I really want to know how this whole business got started.

monkhouse terror

Apparently there was a science section of the millenium dome which featured that same spelling mistake (Stephen Hawkins) several times and nobody bothered to correct it. Shows the level of dedication and care that went into the dome I suppose, I only remember the extremely stupid 'body' section that looked like two tongues having sex with each other and a load of pointless arty type exhibitions featuring 'extremely monged music'.

That place pissed me off immensely.

People with absolutely no sense of humour. People who don`t realise when something is spoof or satirical. I`m meeting more and more of them. One bloke I used to work with came in to work the day after watching an episode of 'People Like Us` and thought it was real.
I`ve given a couple of people a lift in my car when I`ve had OTH on and they have never noticed it was comedy.

Bogey

It's the little things, isn't it?

One of the most annoying of these is the attitude of some people when you moan about just such trivial matters: that you're a moaner, a pendant and perhaps you should take a "chill pill", and if that's all you've got to worry about, etc. etc.
Yes, I do appreciate that there are more weighty issues in the world, but the thing about them is they're notably trickier to solve.
Putting a new toilet roll in the holder, rather than just placing it on the top of the old one on the other hand, is a piece of fucking piss, and that is precisely why it's so annoying.
Or putting the cups in the drainer the right way up: they will never dry like that you braindead fuckpup.

Grr!

Evil Knevil

Quote from: "kenneth trousers"People with absolutely no sense of humour. People who don`t realise when something is spoof or satirical. I`m meeting more and more of them. One bloke I used to work with came in to work the day after watching an episode of 'People Like Us` and thought it was real.
I`ve given a couple of people a lift in my car when I`ve had OTH on and they have never noticed it was comedy.

Yeah, I have that problem in conversation. Some people who don't know me very well get confused about when I'm serious and when I'm taking the piss (which is most of the time).  

Eh? I'm sorry? Is that true? You can't be serious!

Stupid fucks with no sense of humour!

mook

As Bogey said up there^^^

It is the little things that really get to you. My bugbear is the lady who runs my local newsagents, whenever she give me my change she always puts it on top of the pile of papers on the counter so I have to scabble to pick it up, why the fuck can't she just place or at least drop it into my hand. Is she scared of my hand? I've found a way to piss her off though, every morning when I buy my newspaper and packet of blue rizlas I always give her a £20 note. You should see the look of contempt she gives me every morning, it's like the stare of the gorgon. Fucking old cow, I might just take a picture of her tomorrow and post it up her for you lot to hate her as well.

Quote from: "zozman"Sure I heard somewhere that when you clink glasses, it's so some of your drink goes into your mates glass, and vice-versa.  Apparently this is to prove that you haven't poisoned the other persons drink.

Either that or it's a load of shite.

I think I heard the origin of the clinking glasses thing is that the sound made was supposed to scare away any evil spirits that may be lurking around.

mwude

Quote from: "hencole"Easy geez

That.  That right there.  If you said that to me I'd feel well within my rights to kill you dead on the spot.

Asking for a pint to be topped up when there's a huge head on it & getting a evil glare from the barstaff.

People who "don't smoke" yet constantly bum ciggies off you.

People who are the only person on soulseek with the song you want.  30% into downloading it & they bugger off and never, ever come back.

Clocks on public display that have stopped & no-one replaces the batteries or winds them up again or whatever (I dunno what they do, I never been there).

Morrisfan82

Quote from: "mwude"People who "don't smoke" yet constantly bum ciggies off you.
<whistles, looks at ceiling>

Quote from: "mwude"Clocks on public display that have stopped & no-one replaces the batteries or winds them up again or whatever (I dunno what they do, I never been there).
There is a DIGITAL, yes DIGITAL display outside a camera shop in Bristol which has a clock on it. The time on the clock has been 13 minutes slow since at least 1997. Would it really take that much effort to set it properly?

It also takes them approximately two-to-three months to correct it every time the clocks go back/forward.

There should be a law about misleading public timepieces.

5 Knuckle Shuffle

1) People who press the pedestrain crossing lights even though they've seen you do it just a moment before.

2) People who say season instead of series.

3) Saying bye to the person who serves you in the shop and not getting a response back.

4) The most attractive girls at school, whom years later down the line are married/ nobbing the most ugliest lads from school.

5) People who walk three abreast heading towards you, yet none of them give way to just you. (It is predominantly women who do this.)

6) People who end every sentence as if they're asking a question.

7) Those blue neon lights used on cars. Why?

8) No matter how much I put in that I want the returns to be applicable to the UK only, Google.co.uk always gives priority to Amercian results. As do ervy other single search engine.

9) When installing software, it asks what language you want to choose. If you choose English, it either comes up with a an American flag to indicate so, and/or it chooses to utiliZe every American bastardiZation of our language.

10) Socks that fall around your ankles and won't stay up.

11) People pronounce the word as fink instead of think.

12) people who pronounce the word as onvelope instead of envelope.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "5 Knuckle Shuffle"1) People who press the pedestrain crossing lights even though they've seen you do it just a moment before.

2) People who say season instead of series.

I'm with you all the way on the first one, it makes me so mad.

I think people think that if they press the button again, the lights will change quicker. Why don't they keep their fucking finger ON the button then, cunts.

However I do refer to American TV series as seasons, in the same way that I refer to "Pearl Harbor" by its American spelling. No matter how wrong it may be.

What is a real crime is putting "The complete first season" on the spine of the first Babylon 5 box-set, and then putting "The complete second series" on the second, and then going back to "The complete third season" again!!!

ARRRRRGH!! Inconsistancies!

Oh dear, I've just admitted to owning three B5 boxsets haven't I.....

Frinky

Back hair. I stopped getting hairy at 16, for fucks sake. Since then I've learned to deal with the aesthetic horror of all my other apendages, including the unfortunate layout of my face and utterly, utterly pointless eyes, and then at 19, fucking back hair sprouts up. It's a pennance for something, it has to be. I'm not at all vain (really, I'm not), but this has got to go.

I do try, you know. I do.

blue jammer

Quote from: "mook"It is the little things that really get to you. My bugbear is the lady who runs my local newsagents, whenever she give me my change she always puts it on top of the pile of papers on the counter so I have to scabble to pick it up, why the fuck can't she just place or at least drop it into my hand. Is she scared of my hand? I've found a way to piss her off though, every morning when I buy my newspaper and packet of blue rizlas I always give her a £20 note. You should see the look of contempt she gives me every morning, it's like the stare of the gorgon. Fucking old cow, I might just take a picture of her tomorrow and post it up her for you lot to hate her as well.

YES!!

Although, my annoyance is when the supermarket staff give me my change, they always seem to do this:

I'm stood there, having paid with a note, awaiting my change, with my shopping bag to the left of me, ready to pick up, and my right hand out for the change. They insist on putting notes in my hand, and then change on top, resulting in me standing there like a spaz having to slowly slide the note(s) out from under the pile of change precariously balanced on top, so as not to spill it all over the floor, the gits.

That really pisses me off.

Also:

1/ text speak - hi ow r u mate, ad a gud nite out wiv me palz etc etc

2/ mobile ring tones

3/ barking bastard dogs (next door)

4/ common as muck sounding people (especially locals in Mancunia)

5/ people who are scared of the phone, or don't know how to use a phone. SPEAK INTO IT FOR FUCKS SAKE,  YOU STUPID TWAT. They'll have it anywhere but near their mouths, under the chin, hand pressed partly over it etc and you can't hear them, just a muffled load of guff.

gazzyk1ns

Yeah and further to the mobile ring tones one - it's bad enough just hearing them when someone is receiving a phone call, but have you ever had someone "show off" their new ringtone to you? A mate of a mate regularly does this, without saying anything he'll fiddle with his phone for a bit, then hold it up to you whilst it starts playing a piss-poor version of "Hot in Here" by Nelly. What the hell does he expect me to say? "oh yes that's really good, I wish I had that." or something? Jesus...

Tom Rad

Quote from: "5 Knuckle Shuffle"10) Socks that fall around your ankles and won't stay up.
Ooh, that is annoying, isn't it? Also, if you've bought a batch of socks that are like that you can never decide whether to just throw the lot away or put up with them. Throwing them away would be wasteful, but then on the other hand they will just end up annoying you and making your life a misery until they do wear out and you can chuck them with a clear consciousness.

Annoying dilemmas annoy me.

Hairy Chin

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns""Hot in Here" by Nelly.

Surely you mean 'Herre'?

Sorry, Sorry! I think that's actually my first bit of pedantry on CaB. Well, I can see the attraction in being pedantic, you get to feel smug for about half a second.

I had, what may seem to most, to be a minor annoyance today; but to me it really did rather fuck me off. Last night I re-recorded a few of my music beds onto minidisc, and put them all into the order I liked them, save the last one.

Halfway through my show this morning, I realised the order wasn't the way I wanted, so I moved one track, fine. Used a few beds off the MD after that to talk over - fine again. I then decided to eject the disc so the edit light would go off, and the changes would be saved - I did just that. Eject, MD comes out, I put it back in again...the fucking machine had erased the lot.

I very nearly broke the MD deck (and my fist) in a very angry outburst - scaring the crap out of the newsreader. So that fucked me right off today, I was up til midnight sorting out my music beds, and I had to be up at 4AM...now I'm spending bastard ages re-recording the whole fucking lot.

No, I'm not happy - and I didn't get any valentine cards either. Although I did get a letter from Daewoo saying they've made a new car.

blue jammer

Quote from: "Hairy Chin"Last night I re-recorded a few of my music beds onto minidisc...

What is a music bed? :confused:

(is this some radio technical lingo?)

blue jammer

Finger prints on PC monitors.

How annoying is that? I have a shared PC at work, and the eijits that sit there in the day, I swear must lick the fucking screen, not only are there finger prints all over the screen, but it looks like a 4 year old has licked the screen too, maybe it's their way of trying to 'clean' their finger prints off, I dunno.

Meh.

Hairy Chin

Quote from: "Gazeuse"backups

Everything on the Md (or WAS on there) is on my PC - it's just a pain in the arse that unlike ripping a CD, recording to MD has to be done in real time.

Well, I have to do it in real time because I can't afford one of those nifty Net-MD doodahs. Because of the crappy way the studio is set up, it's easier to play off MD than CD (I'd have to use the A/B input on one of the computer playout faders to play a CD). If I put the beds on the system, the programme controller would just happily play them out in his show - despite them being in MY button-box, where all MY idents and bits and bobs live. It's a pet annoyance of mine, I am protective of my music beds - they help shape the sound of my show. Plus in most cases I've spent ages editing them, extending them and so on - for my show, not to aid some other bod to benefit from my hard work. Tsk.

Another annoyance I have to add is that I've just somehow chipped the underside of one of my upper teeth at the front. Bugger.

Gazeuse

Quote from: "blue jammer"
Quote from: "Hairy Chin"Last night I re-recorded a few of my music beds onto minidisc...

What is a music bed? :confused:

(is this some radio technical lingo?)

It's used in TV too...It's music that's meant to flow along under a V/O or pics and not stick out too much.

blue jammer

Cheers for clearing that up Gazeuse.

Hairy Chin, why don't you just use .wav files, stick them on your pc and play when needed, I'd have thought you'd have more control with something like that, you could even sequence tracks all ready to run, using cubase vst, or even acid, or just have the sync in sound forge to a midi keyboard or controller and hit keys/pads/buttons when you want each segment...

I wouldn't like to rely on minidisc, I think it's a bleedin' awful format meself.

Gazeuse

Quote from: "Hairy Chin"
Quote from: "Gazeuse"backups

Everything on the Md (or WAS on there) is on my PC - it's just a pain in the arse that unlike ripping a CD, recording to MD has to be done in real time.
Ah, yes...I've never had anything to do with MD. I do TV stuff mostly and I've only ever known of one production co. that asked for stuff on MD. I deliver stuff by CD and the internet.

Gazeuse

Quote from: "blue jammer"

I wouldn't like to rely on minidisc, I think it's a bleedin' awful format meself.

Radio stations love MD, cos they have these nifty MD cart machines that are similar to the old analogue cart jobs.

sproggy

Me to some numpty on the phone: "Hello, 'X'"

polite inference for the purpose of establishing a telephonic dialogue

Person on the other end of the phone:"Oh Hello sproglette how you doing?"

unecessary question

Me: "Not's so bad"

Person on the end of the phone: "Good, Good, Good"

Aaaargghh... Why three times?