Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 12:24:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Salad Fingers 10

Started by 23 Daves, December 02, 2013, 08:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

23 Daves

The notorious "Salad Fingers" flash cartoon is back for a special ten-minute episode, and it really doesn't disappoint - it's the usual brilliant combination of pleasing wordplay, unsettling surreal horror, and attention to detail that makes it worth several watches. 

http://youtu.be/1kCVtPhFQNU

David Firth posted on Cookd and Bombd many moons ago to gauge our opinions on his stuff, and at that point (from memory) it wasn't quite so well-formed and he was given pretty short shrift.  Since then, "Salad Fingers" has probably become the best flash cartoon creation there is - the LOLrandom start to the series has given way to a unique world with its own particular consistencies and dreamlike absurdities that somehow mesh together beautifully.  It's pretentious (or at least misguided) to bring up Harold Pinter in most contexts, let alone cartoons, but for me that's what the slightly stretched, out-of-context cliches of the main character's language and the absurdities (delusions?) that surround him remind me of.  The horror and the terror isn't quite explained, and the viewer is left to try and join the dots his or herself. 

More to the point, the animation is now a hell of a lot more slick.

Any other fans?

touchingcloth

Quote from: 23 Daves on December 02, 2013, 08:41:33 PM
LOLrandom

That pretty much sums up my reaction whenever someone bring up Salad Fingers. It's been probably the best part of ten years since I last saw anything of it though, so I might give that a watch. Not now. Some time. If I can be arsed.

23 Daves

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 02, 2013, 08:53:47 PM
That pretty much sums up my reaction whenever someone bring up Salad Fingers. It's been probably the best part of ten years since I last saw anything of it though, so I might give that a watch. Not now. Some time. If I can be arsed.

I don't think it is anymore.  There's an orderly nature to the oddness now.  (For instance, I've only just worked out that
Spoiler alert
at the end of episode ten here he's hallucinating himself eat the corpse over the preceding days he was supposedly 'asleep'
[close]
.)

That's what keeps me hanging on in there - the parts of the stories that cause me to have Eureka moments days later.  Of course, some of the elements are just unpleasant delusions the main character is having.  But there's a lot going on, in the same way that there's more to "My Wrongs" than first meets the eye.

Thomas

I like it.

I messaged David Firth after watching this the other night, asking him whether he'd got all three series of Blue Jam, because I figured he'd like Blue Jam and only a CD of scraps is commercially available, and he said he has, and that it's been a big influence. Easy to see, really.

23 Daves

Quote from: Thomas on December 02, 2013, 09:06:14 PM
I like it.

I messaged David Firth after watching this the other night, asking him whether he'd got all three series of Blue Jam, because I figured he'd like Blue Jam and only a CD of scraps is commercially available, and he said he has, and that it's been a big influence. Easy to see, really.

Yep.  Chris Morris, Boards of Canada and Tim Burton always seem to be the combined influences to me. The post-apocalyptic feel to the whole series seems even more BoC now after "Tomorrow's Harvest".

Phil_A

I've found this series has gotten less wacky and more unsettling the longer it's gone on, and this seems to be continuing that trend. Not that that's a bad thing necessarily, but I think I did prefer the earlier, funnier ones.

I did like the reveal of the
Spoiler alert
horses stuffed in the draw and wardrobe, though.
[close]

Natnar

I did find the moment when
Spoiler alert
that doctor thing is hacking away at the horse and the horse sheads a tear
[close]
strangely moving.

Thomas

Quote from: 23 Daves on December 02, 2013, 09:11:12 PM
The post-apocalyptic feel to the whole series seems even more BoC now after "Tomorrow's Harvest".

I'm just watching this twenty minute thing about David Firth, he whips out Tomorrow's Harvest at one point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKEuc8xEBhQ

The Duck Man

Whatever happened to Devvo (aka, the demonisation of the working class)?

Quote from: Thomas on December 07, 2013, 11:43:10 PM
I'm just watching this twenty minute thing about David Firth, he whips out Tomorrow's Harvest at one point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKEuc8xEBhQ

You use that URL. I do not think it leads where you think it leads.

David Firth is great. I really like his stuff. Will have to check out the new one.

Thomas

Oh, uh, yeah. That was just me being creepy and spooky and Lynchian.

Here's the actual one -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wARTupdJVW8

BritishHobo

Quote from: The Duck Man on December 08, 2013, 12:34:21 AM
Whatever happened to Devvo (aka, the demonisation of the working class)?

There's still a new video released every now and then.

Actually, I say that, but the last one seems to have been early 2012.

Was never sure what to think of Devvo. It didn't ever seem to play to that sort of chav-hating mentality, even if it was used by some to buy into that. IIRC, there's a load of videos of 'Devvo' at various festivals being treated like a celebrity (usually acting baffled as to how people know who he is).

BritishHobo

While I'm here, I came across this today, a video Firth made for Playboy's website a few years back but which they never actually used, and I think it might be my favourite thing I've seen of his. Eerie and beautiful without that 'weird for the sake of weird' sense that some people[nb]not me david firth, please be my best friend david firth[/nb] get from Salad Fingers.

Also for the festive season, here's the Christmas cartoon that Firth made for Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe but which wasn't ultimately included, for... obvious reasons. Firth says 'They didn't like it. Neither do I.' in the description.

And A Jerry Jackson Christmas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IApbWwdXewM Which was used.

madhair60

That Christmas cartoon should be insipid, but there's something about the delivery that just sets me off giggling every time.

"Mince pies, eh!?  THERE'D BETTER BE SOME LEFT!!"

"Saws are too difficult to use.  Be easier to use!"

"Yes.  I'll give you a whole pint of beer to drink."

mbedd

Quote from: 23 Daves on December 02, 2013, 08:41:33 PM

Any other fans?

Aye. Yes, I find it not at all lolrand, I don't see any desire for wacky random craziness in his stuff- it just seems to be about atmosphere and slightly off kilter situations- the sound/music is quite wonderful- way beyond the effort of the casual randomshitflashpurpledick maker. After your post I decided to catch up on all the stuff I missed (been too busy), and it was great to see his later stuff, so yes, and am indeed a fan. Thanks for reminding me
There's  a nice sinister undercurrent, and the illustration style is art based, rather than lazy, which is nice. Yes like him very much, so much thanks.

Don_Preston

I'd love to see him animate a scene from Malone Dies or another something. Him and Beckett seem to have similar approaches to comedy, horror and tragedy.

momatt

Wow, this new one is great.  Ideal for watching just before you go to sleep.  If you want horrible bed-wetting nightmares.

BritishHobo

Has anyone ever listened to Waller FM? It's the Fat Pie 'podcast', but it's closer to On The Hour than any other podcasts I've heard, ostensibly a fake radio station with different segments and characters written/improvised by Firth and Christian Pickup. It's not as bizarre as Firth's usual stuff, but it is actually fucking brilliant. First episode's here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRD2MpEUrpw

BritishHobo

This really needs more recognition. So many wonderful ideas in each one of these. It's clear there's a lot of work goes into each one, and they take a while to produce, for just two blokes on their own.

I don't want to spoil any of them, but I'm listening to episode 8, and choking with laughter at
Spoiler alert
the interview with a bystander doing Simpsons impressions to raise money for WallerFM, and then Colin and Craig's Wake-Up Calls.
[close]

I think "Saturday Matinee with Miligly Mafilibly Morgan and Ruskin Bear." has become my new favourite thing.

KLG-7DD

Here's an interview with him where he mainly just talks himself. Trigger warning: absolutely stuffed full of haircutted London media cunts, some of them labelled as comedians.

BritishHobo

Isn't that how interviews usually go?

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: KLG-7DD on December 17, 2013, 05:38:51 PM
Here's an interview with him where he mainly just talks himself. Trigger warning: absolutely stuffed full of haircutted London media cunts, some of them labelled as comedians.

Ugh. The Firth talking heads are interesting, but That "Presender".

"You seemda be a vinyl parsan."

23 Daves

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on December 17, 2013, 08:46:21 PM
Ugh. The Firth talking heads are interesting, but That "Presender".

"You seemda be a vinyl parsan."

I didn't mind him, but that might be for the totally irrelevant reason that he looks exactly like the perpetually confused brother of a very good friend of mine (a lovely chap who would be genuinely bewildered by David Firth). 

David Firth goes down in my estimation for calling records "vinyls", though.  I know he's given the bait, but that's no excuse.

momatt

Quote from: 23 Daves on December 17, 2013, 09:55:58 PMDavid Firth goes down in my estimation for calling records "vinyls", though.  I know he's given the bait, but that's no excuse.

Gah, fucking balls.