Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:32:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fifth Birthday Update

Started by Neil, August 09, 2004, 11:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Yesterday the site celebrated its fifth birthday, so we thought we'd mark the occasion with something a bit special we've been saving.  A couple of months ago a pal of mine, Lewis Gillingham, got in touch with a nice chap called Mart Simpson after hearing he may have some rather rare Morris material that we've been trying to get hold of for years.  Mart had a collection of snippets, scattered across various tapes, which he spent a good while compiling into one 44-minute compilation.  We've did a little bit of fiddling with it to restore the audio and now, we're delighted to say, you can download a 45 minute compilation of No Known Cure shows from the site!  This has been something of a Holy Grail for us, so it's just fantastic to get hold of it at last and find out that it's as fascinating and hilarious as we'd hoped.  This compilation seems to date from around 1989, and contains some all-new jingles, early Wayne Carr segments, some clearly VLS-influenced bits and pieces, great callers, and a surprise appearance 34 minutes in from...well, download it and see.   It really is a pleasure to be able to share this early slice of Morris radio goodness, if you think you may have more on tape then please search through those drawers, and get in touch if you find anything of interest, ta.

While you're waiting for that to download, you may want to read the following threads which have some new information about the Morris/Brooker series "Box of Slice": Box of Slice Character Breakdown - Box of Slice Lead Actors.  Oh, and if you haven't seen "My Wrongs #8245-8249 &117" yet then, well you're not missing much, but you might want to pick up the new collection of European Short Films DVD from Cinema16 which contains My Wrongs.  Shame Morris didn't take the oppurtunity to stick a proper commentary on there, but the one that was on the original release is included in the package, along with a load of other short films.  It's an excellent compilation.

After you've finished with that you can help yourself to two new Music Shows, episode numbers #22 and #23, and the second series of Blue Jam, with thanks once again to Mark Williams and Jon Lawrence for hosting.  Series three will be up over the next couple of weeks.

Hope you enjoy No Known Cure as much as we have, with luck we may see more early Morris material being surfaced over the next few years.  Anyway, thanks to everyone who has supported the site in any way at all over the last five years, it simply wouldn't have survived until now were it not for the generosity of you lot.  The web hosting by Nick Mailer has allowed us to keep bringing you news and files, without having to plaster the site with banner ads and popups, so we owe him a special thanks.  We can't single out everyone who has helped us over the last five years, but these are some of the names that spring to mind most readily:  Richard Courtney, Rod Dupuis, SOTCAA, Almost Yearly, mook, Steve bass2rez, Joe McNally, Gavin, ApexJazz, Darrell, Frinky, and many many more.  We're also extremely grateful to everyone who has ever sent in old tapes or videos to be encoded and shared with everyone else.  Big thanks from us to you all, you've made working on the site a pleasure.  Mwah.

Darrell

Jesus bloody Christ.

I cannot wait to hear this...

Hans

Wow.  Well done for keeping it quiet above most things.  Thanks again to Neil and TJ.  I can't wait to hear it..

Godzilla Bankrolls

Excellent! I'm going to listen to this in bed tonight. Thanks a lot Neil and your chum's chum, and your chum.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Wow. I am so excited about listening to this, I actually gave a little giggle when I read that. Huge thank you for getting this to everyone involved. What a superb way to celebrate the fifth birthday. Thanks again, I see a late night ahead.

Neil

We're looking forward to hearing what you think of it chaps.  It's really a fascinating snapshot of what he was like at that point, makes me hanker for more, I really need more GLR too, this early stuff where he's just working on his own is tremendous, he was fiercely creative and makes it all seem rather effortless.

Ben Ordinary

This is fantastic.  Will look forward to hearing this as soon as its downloaded up. Did you a small shout-out to celebrate CaB's birthday yesterday by the way on TFB FM, if not just to say thank you for letting us plug it so fiercely on the forums.

Thanks again you lovely lovely people!

Lewis

Ah, so glad to see this on the site so everyone can enjoy it. I think it's a brilliant show, shame all we managed to get hold of were 'clips' and not any full shows. Still it gives us a good idea of what the show was like, pretty similar to the show he was doing on GLR. Apperantly whilst he was doing this show he was also broadcasting on BBC Radio Cambridgeshire and towards the end of his time at Radio Bristol he was doing GLR at the same time. A lot of the material, especially pre-recorded pieces such as the Feedback reports and Wayne Carr links were allegedly played out on all 3 shows.

It does make for very interesting listening, although it was right at the beginning of his broadcasting career, he sounds very much at ease on air, especially whilst he was taking phone calls – I loved the way he ripped the piss out of his callers; this was brave broadcasting for BBC Local radio in the late 80's – that's what was so revolutionary about this show, it simply ripped up the format for BBC local radio at the time – I don't think local radio had heard anything like it since Kenny Everett and almost certainly not again until Bannister and Dann launched GLR in 1992. A legend (in my opinion) was also born on this show, Bill from Weston-super-mare:

Quote"Check that out for a nut head"

"I've been indulging in things that I ... I must have missed things"

"Yeah sounds like it – did you grow it yourself?"

There's plenty of Wayne Carr stuff here too, which is great –  I loved his bit on Simon Bates and good to see he was slagging him off long before he went to Radio 1. Also the national day of Libya link is just superb comedy.

Great to hear some early Feedback reports too - the Duck acknowledgement report is laugh-out-loud radio. That's the thing about this show, it sounds 10 times better than anything on radio today and yet this was a guy's first ever show on a fairly small local BBC station in the late eighties. Incredible stuff.

Anyway, one point I would like to make is that it was a stroke of luck I managed to get hold of this tape, I was logged onto a radio forum and noticed a thread where someone mentioned his favourite show was No Known Cure. I PM'd the guy asking if he had any tapes, fully expecting him to say 'you must be joking' only to find a copy of NKC land on my doormat a few weeks later! I've been searching for these shows for about 10 years now so you can imagine my excitement! Anyway, the point of this drivel is that I believe there is definitely more KNC and almost certainly a fair amount of GLR stuff lying around in collectors tape boxes. A lot of radio show collectors have simply thousands of tapes in their possession and it's almost certain that some more of this stuff is out there and they have no idea how many of us would like to hear it! So if you hear of anyone with a 'fetish' for tape collecting then please get in touch and ask them if they have any Bristol or GLR stuff. Most of these guys are willing to trade anything so feel free to get in touch with me and I will happily trade anything I have for more of this stuff.

And enjoy the show - a prize goes to the first person to name the guest on around 34 minutes in.  :)

A Passing Turk Slipper

Just finished listening to it. Wow. I thought it was very GLRish. It's great how despite it being, as Lewis says, very early in his career, he is doing stuff easily as funny as all his famous stuff. The way he handles the callers is brilliant - 'what a boring life these people lead', 'Plural? Partyings?'. It's a pity he didn't have as many callers on the R1 shows (he didn't have that many did he?), the interaction between them and CM is always really funny and shows how great he was at improvising.  My highlight was him talking about mad people, I always like those kind of bits in the R1 shows as well, when he goes off into little stories about things. 'If you take offence, please put it back'. I'll stop quoting my favourite bits now, I could be here for ages. Nice to see the presence of his casio in the jingles too, when he randomly starts jabbing at it is always great. Wayne Carr was great, as usual, the Libya bit especially. Thanks again, Lewis, Neil and everyone.

I am weasel

I believe the correct term is "Holy Motherfucking Shit".

Several hats off to Neil, TJ and the whole fucking lot of you.

I'll be over there with my headphones on if anybody needs me...

BY THE WAY NEIL: Did you ever get that Kenny Everett CD I sent you about 2 weeks ago? - Right I'll be back with comments on this gem when i've listened to it about 8 times.

Purple Tentacle

Bloody HELL!

Jesus, well done folks!

That's the next hour of my life sorted!!!

Dr David V

Holy. Shit.

Fantastic stuff Neil and co! I'm downloading this now, I really can't wait to hear it, thank you so much for finally finding something. Happy birthday too, you share a birthday with my dog.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Do I get the prize for recognising Sgt. Murphy then? I also heard a quick snippet of Michael Alexander-St. John too. Could it have been him belching the Archbishop as well?

I thought it was *very* VLS in a few places - when some of his earlier stuff shows up, I suppose we can compare and contrast. Nice to think that Morris had regular callers back then.

Has he always used the Beastie Boys' "Kick it!" on his jingles then?

gazzyk1ns

I can honestly say I never expected to hear any No Known Cure unless time travel became a reality... thanks to everyone involved in bringing it here!

Silver SurferGhost

Wooh yeah and that!  Thanks muchly to all concerned, it's amazing all the stuff I thought I'd never get to hear what you chaps are finding and making available (one way or t'other).
Go on, gis a cuddle, you lovely website!

Yearly not logged in

It was alright I suppose.

;-)

On behalf of the ignorant, who's Sgt. Murphy?

Darrell

"You would ban acid mouse music tomorrow?"
"Yes."
"Today?"
"Today."

This is glorious.

Ben Ordinary

This was bloody good stuff. My favourite bits of the early shows are Chris doing phone ins with the general public, and this has plenty of great moments from these. Especially the quote to nut job Bill about his Joke shop:

Quote"I hope you fall out of business....tomorrow"

What time slot and day did this go out then?

Neil

Quote from: "Lewis"Ah, so glad to see this on the site so everyone can enjoy it. I think it's a brilliant show, shame all we managed to get hold of were 'clips' and not any full shows. Still it gives us a good idea of what the show was like, pretty similar to the show he was doing on GLR. Apperantly whilst he was doing this show he was also broadcasting on BBC Radio Cambridgeshire and towards the end of his time at Radio Bristol he was doing GLR at the same time. A lot of the material, especially pre-recorded pieces such as the Feedback reports and Wayne Carr links were allegedly played out on all 3 shows.

It's definitely true that he was doing GLR and Bristol at the same time for a while, but I asked around about the Cambridge thing when you mentioned it, and TJ doubts it's true.  Anyone else have any info?  

QuoteI don't think local radio had heard anything like it since Kenny Everett and almost certainly not again until Bannister and Dann launched GLR in 1992.

GLR was actually started in, I think, 1988, and Morris was there from the start.  I think the earliest show we've got from there so far is from 1990, in fact we'll have to stick it up next seeing as people seem to be enjoying the old stuff.  It's on yer disc.

QuoteGreat to hear some early Fedback reports too - the Duck acknowledgement report is laugh-out-loud radio. That's the thing about this show, it sounds 10 times better than anything on radio today and yet this was a guy's first ever show on a fairly small local BBC station in the late eighties. Incredible stuff.

Totally agree with you, this is what has always struck me when listening to the GLR shows, especially the 1993 ones where he creates a more free-wheeling experimental type of radio.  This is the stage where he seems to have started using colloborators as well, such as Garner and Katz. Obviously he'd already had the like of MASJ regularly appearing on the show, but this was the point where he felt he could create a better show by getting others to chip in with the writing.  Perhaps recording On The Hour showed him how important this approach could be?  

Anyway, it does make you realise how great British radio used to be, to be honest I all but gave up on it completely when all the TV "personalities" started moving in.  Fucking Zoe Ball seemed to open the gates for the likes of Sarah Cox, Vernon Kaye, Colin thingy and Edith whatever....  Ugh, the idea that someone, anyone, can be taken from the telly and made into a decent radio presenter is just so infuriating to me.  I mean, we can remember when TRUK started and they had a fair amount of TV people on there, but the crap ones were soon got rid of, and the ones that they picked and who sticked around largely had something to say.  Actually, perhaps it's all Lorraine Kelly's fault.

QuoteAnyway, the point of this drivel is that I believe there is definitely more KNC and almost certainly a fair amount of GLR stuff lying around in collectors tape boxes. A lot of radio show collectors have simply thousands of tapes in their possession and it's almost certain that some more of this stuff is out there and they have no idea how many of us would like to hear it! So if you hear of anyone with a 'fetish' for tape collecting then please get in touch and ask them if they have any Bristol or GLR stuff. Most of these guys are willing to trade anything so feel free to get in touch with me and I will happily trade anything I have for more of this stuff.

Very well said, no point letting those tapes rot in a cupboard when people can be enjoying them.  If people had the foresight to tape this early stuff then please get in touch!  Maybe five years from now we'll be sitting chatting about the 1990 R1 show or the BSB stuff.

Neil

Quote from: "Yearly not logged in"It was alright I suppose.
;-)
On behalf of the ignorant, who's Sgt. Murphy?

Give it another listen when you're not at work, there's always a million and one gags going on in early Morris radio stuff, I can listen to a show 4 or 5 times and still pick up new gags I'd missed before.  This is particularly true of the Wayne Carr segments.  Anyway Sgt. Murphy is just...the man.  He appears frequently in Morris radio work, he's in GLR, the Music Shows, OTH.  I was gobsmacked to hear some of him in the NKC compilation, of the 44 minutes of stuff taped I'm extremely glad Murphy was in there, and in a straighter sort of Feedback Report role, too!  In the subsequent shows he's more of an equal to Morris, and they just bat words and ideas back and forth in an effortless and fucking hilarious way.  

Here's some more clips of him:

http://chilled.cream.org/mp3/cab-glr-sgt-murphy.mp3
http://chilled.cream.org/mp3/sgt_murphy192.mp3
http://chilled.cream.org/mp3/glr/sgtmurphy/chris_morris_and_sgt_murphy-xmas_message_1_cookdandbombd.co.uk_26_12_91.mp3

Almost Yearly

Quote from: "Neil"Give it another listen when you're not at work
Nail. Head. CD burner.

slim

I'd just like to add my thanks to the general clamour. CaB has opened my ears, as it were, to stuff I'd have never had the chance to hear otherwise.

Many, many, many thanks!

Dr David V

Besides the hissing, that was an absolute joy to hear. His phone-in stuff is absolutely brilliant, and the monologues were superb too. Besides the clip from Fight For Your Right To Party, any idea what sort of music was played?

weekender

Wow, amazing stuff.

Thanks to everyone who's helped with the site over the years.

Bilko

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"I can honestly say I never expected to hear any No Known Cure unless time travel became a reality... thanks to everyone involved in bringing it here!
My thoughts exactly.  I thought there was nothing else of Morris this site hasn't got out there never mind just NKC.

A gold star for Neil and everything else who contributed.

Morgan

Oh fuck off, as if you have got some No Known Cure!  No way!  It's blatantly just TJ putting on a voice, you've been creating this for years...

Thank you

TJ

Confession time - someone contacted the site a couple of years back and claimed to have some NKC which was never passed on to us in the end. They referred to the belched 'Archbishop', and as the tape never showed, I assumed that they were winding us up and said to Neil that I reckoned that sounded like "the sort of thing someone would make up as a hoax without really thinking through".

Well, I'm quite happy to discover that I was wrong!

Morgan

Me too.  You should be wrong more often.

butnut

I can only add my sincere thanks to all the people responsible for this. It's wonderful.  And as Neil says, it really does need a few listens, there's so many one-liners that fly-by on the first few listens.

There must be more, somewhere out there. Let's hope it turns up one day.

weirdbeard

Now that is a good find, let's hope there's more to come.  A fine way of marking 5 years of the site, a jolly well done to everyone involved.