Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:22:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fifth Birthday Update

Started by Neil, August 09, 2004, 11:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ben Ordinary"This was bloody good stuff. My favourite bits of the early shows are Chris doing phone ins with the general public, and this has plenty of great moments from these. Especially the quote to nut job Bill about his Joke shop

Yeah, the phone calls are superb, my favourite parts of the compilation. He sounds so sharp and quick witted, and the way he deals with some of the callers (that simon guy in a party with 'JD' for one) makes for hilarious radio. Oh and Bill from Weston-Super-Mare is a star, he's on that tape twice and both times he's really funny and fit's in with the show perfectly.

QuoteWhat time slot and day did this go out then?

I'm not entirely sure. I believe it was on twice a week, one show was certainly on a Friday from 10pm – midnight. From listening to one jingle on the compilation "Now if your weekend was a total bore, enough to make a rabbit insomniac snore" then I assume it was also broadcast on either a Sunday or Monday night as well.

Lewis

Oh, that guest was me by the way - how come I can post when not signed in??

Quote from: "Neil"It's definitely true that he was doing GLR and Bristol at the same time for a while, but I asked around about the Cambridge thing when you mentioned it, and TJ doubts it's true.  Anyone else have any info?  
I may well be wrong then, but I've also read that in a thread on a now defunct forum, it wouldn't surprise me if he did some occasional cover work at BBC Cambs. Am I right in thinking that NKC was (at least towards the end of its run) also broadcast on Radio Wiltshire and Radio Gloucestershire too?

QuoteGLR was actually started in, I think, 1988, and Morris was there from the start.  I think the earliest show we've got from there so far is from 1990, in fact we'll have to stick it up next seeing as people seem to be enjoying the old stuff.  It's on yer disc.
Oh yes, of course it was, not sure where I got that '92 figure from. GLR was a popular station when launched and had quite a cult following which is why I'm so convinced that there's more GLR show's out there. I find it hard to believe that there isn't all kinds of GLR tapes gathering dust in a collector's drawer, and boy, would I love to get my hands on them - they had Chris Morris, Danny Baker, Chris Evans and Nick Abbot all on air at the same time and all were in their prime as well. Man, what I would pay for a delorean with a flux capacitor right now...

QuoteTotally agree with you, this is what has always struck me when listening to the GLR shows, especially the 1993 ones where he creates a more free-wheeling experimental type of radio.  This is the stage where he seems to have started using colloborators as well, such as Garner and Katz. Obviously he'd already had the like of MASJ regularly appearing on the show, but this was the point where he felt he could create a better show by getting others to chip in with the writing.  Perhaps recording On The Hour showed him how important this approach could be?  
I've always loved listening to his early GLR and now NKC shows for the precise reason that he's broadcasting on his own. It's all him - the writing, the jingles, the sketches, everything. It makes you realise what a truly talented guy he is. Don't get me wrong I love his Radio 1 shows where he's messing about with Baynham and Garner but these old shows sound so much more personal to me.

QuoteAnyway, it does make you realise how great British radio used to be, to be honest I all but gave up on it completely when all the TV "personalities" started moving in.  Fucking Zoe Ball seemed to open the gates for the likes of Sarah Cox, Vernon Kaye, Colin thingy and Edith whatever....  Ugh, the idea that someone, anyone, can be taken from the telly and made into a decent radio presenter is just so infuriating to me.  I mean, we can remember when TRUK started and they had a fair amount of TV people on there, but the crap ones were soon got rid of, and the ones that they picked and who sticked around largely had something to say.  Actually, perhaps it's all Lorraine Kelly's fault.
I couldn't agree more! I listened to a bit of Vernon Kaye on Sunday and I was just cringing through the whole thing - it sounded like hospital radio to me. Anyway let's not turn this into a thread about how crap radio is these days!

QuoteVery well said, no point letting those tapes rot in a cupboard when people can be enjoying them.  If people had the foresight to tape this early stuff then please get in touch!  Maybe five years from now we'll be sitting chatting about the 1990 R1 show or the BSB stuff.
I'm certain there's more stuff out there it's just a matter of finding the people with the tapes and letting them know how much we want to hear them!

Anyway, what did everyone else make of the show? What are your best bits? For the record some of my favourite bits include the jingles, especially the 'coffee table dance jingle' a few minutes into the tape. I loved the phone calls and also enjoyed the one call-out on there too, the 'baby boiling recipe'. Wayne Carr is simply brilliant, and as Neil said you have to listen to it *very* closely and a few times to pick up all the gags. I also enjoyed the way he solved the competition by getting the callers to bang their heads on the phone! And he still couldn't decide so ended up cutting the tie in half anyway - brilliant stuff! I could go on all day but I would be interested to hear what others thought of the show.

Darrell

May I just celebrate how lovely it is that, on the occasion of CaB's birthday, everyone's really excited by a bit of archive Morris!

It's things like this that keep me on CaB. At least three cheers to everyone responsible, you're all brilliant brilliant people who deserve awards and stuff.

TJ

Quote from: "Lewis"I may well be wrong then, but I've also read that in a thread on a now defunct forum, it wouldn't surprise me if he did some occasional cover work at BBC Cambs. Am I right in thinking that NKC was (at least towards the end of its run) also broadcast on Radio Wiltshire and Radio Gloucestershire too?

It seems that way - more than one person has mentioned that happening, in fact. I know for certain that there used to be overnight shows from other stations syndicated to Radio Merseyside, so I assume it was standard practice.

Quote from: "Neil"GLR was actually started in, I think, 1988, and Morris was there from the start.  I think the earliest show we've got from there so far is from 1990

1989 in fact - it's mistakenly labelled as the second part of a 1990 show on the disc, but if you listen closely there's a lot of 1989-specific references, including one to the Berlin Wall still standing.

Quote from: "Neil"Very well said, no point letting those tapes rot in a cupboard when people can be enjoying them.  If people had the foresight to tape this early stuff then please get in touch!  Maybe five years from now we'll be sitting chatting about the 1990 R1 show or the BSB stuff.

If people were taping him on GLR by this point, then one of them must have taped him making his debut on Radio 1. He'd had national press by then too - when I heard the show, having tuned in expecting to hear the DJs' Christmas Party (yes, I admit it!), I certainly thought "oh yeah, that's the bloke who was mentioned in NME".

TJ

Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"I thought it was *very* VLS in a few places - when some of his earlier stuff shows up, I suppose we can compare and contrast. Nice to think that Morris had regular callers back then.

There are definitely some VLS Radio York shows in circulation somewhere, but I've never managed to get hold of any. Time for another appeal?

weirdbeard

Quote from: "TJ"
Quote from: "Lewis"I may well be wrong then, but I've also read that in a thread on a now defunct forum, it wouldn't surprise me if he did some occasional cover work at BBC Cambs. Am I right in thinking that NKC was (at least towards the end of its run) also broadcast on Radio Wiltshire and Radio Gloucestershire too?

It seems that way - more than one person has mentioned that happening, in fact. I know for certain that there used to be overnight shows from other stations syndicated to Radio Merseyside, so I assume it was standard practice.

There's one part in the compilation where Chris gives out the numbers for Bristol, Gloucestershire and Swindon.

EDIT: It's 09:38 in.

TJ

Well, I have to say that I'm made up with the enthusiastic reception to this - it makes all the effort it takes in tracking this stuff down worthwhile (and well done to Lewis for his eagle-eyedness in finding this). Who knows, maybe one day amongst all the emails saying "yeah I've got the Chris Morris Radio 1 Christmas show you're looking for" followed shortly by another saying "yeah its got that Peter Thingy man in it and he plays loads of Blur records and I think it's from 1994", there will be one from someone saying "it's mostly just him apart from a couple of Michael Alexander St. John bits, and he plays that Prince record that he always played in the GLR shows".

Three cheers for "glory-hunting cunts"!

RHX

Many many thanks for this, I've never known the owners of a website do so much for their visitors, and for that, I must commend you.

SurferGhost is logged out

Quote from: "RHX"I've never known the owners of a website do so much for their visitors
Absolutely, that's why people here get so annoyed when people turn up for one post shouting *gimme this gimme that* with no intention of otherwise getting involved.  Just LOOK at all the stuff you can have here FOR FREE, with no strings attached, just for pointing your browser in this direction.
Quote from: "Lewis"I'm certain there's more stuff out there it's just a matter of finding the people with the tapes and letting them know how much we want to hear them!
That's almost certainly the case. Lots of collectors (not just of Morris' work) have no idea that others are interested in their collections, think what they have is technically substandard, or have no internet access. Or get in touch with a long list of juicy stuff and then promptly disappear.

Or (and I've come across this one more than once) say "Oh yes, I've got such and such but couldn't possibly let you have a copy, if I did that for everyone it wouldn't be rare anymore would it?". Really.  And then there's the "I'll do it you for twenty-five quid, for costs like" brigade (we know a song about one of those, don't we).

Well there ain't none of that here, I'm glad to say!

Which reminds me, I'm still looking for that Keith Moon tape, TJ, honest

Morgan

Right, after an agonising wait, I've finally got round to listening to this, and I have to say it's great stuff - thanks very much indeed.  Re: Sgt. Murphy's appearance, could this be the original Feedback Report where Morris was so amused by his answers that he brought him in as a regular feature?  

He's absolutely brilliant with the callers too, some of these people ringing in are mental, they can't be real.  I always thought Call 1FM jarred a bit, being as it was on national radio, but when he's communicating with a close community it's just perfect.

Tones

Just wanted to offer my sincerest thanks to all of you out there who made this super download possible, from the eagle-eyed diligence of Lewis, the pinnacle of human kindness that is Mart the supplier, and of course to the people who cleaned and encoded the little blighter ( Neil? TJ? Someone else? I don't know who it was but fucking thank you very much! )

Anyway, some of my favourite bits ( on first listen ) :

Alice Cooper winning a musical award for crushing 1000 of his own albums.

Feedback reports on acid mouse music, dwindling gnat power, and the following exchange from "Passing Thoughts" :

CM :"What speed limit should be imposed on passing thoughts to enable us to trap them securely as they pass from   air, into brain?"

FBV : "50,000?"

CM : "Pretty close"

Jesus, there's so much more, not least of all Wayne 'St. Lupus, the patron saint of anal discharge' Carr!!! It really is a fascinating glimpse into the beginnings of a comedy great, who has, in recent years.....sorry, but this sentence is too depressing to finish, you all know what I mean. Download this now.

Lewis

Quote from: "SurferGhost is logged out"That's almost certainly the case. Lots of collectors (not just of Morris' work) have no idea that others are interested in their collections, think what they have is technically substandard, or have no internet access.
Yes, I've seen this a few times before where a website or a bunch of collectors have been looking for a certain show only for it to show up years after everyone's given up. Again usually the person with the tape has no idea how sought after it is.

QuoteOr (and I've come across this one more than once) say "Oh yes, I've got such and such but couldn't possibly let you have a copy, if I did that for everyone it wouldn't be rare anymore would it?". Really.  And then there's the "I'll do it you for twenty-five quid, for costs like" brigade (we know a song about one of those, don't we).
Yeah, I've come across that before too but I find most collectors are more than willing to share their stuff, as long as they get something in return (as was the case with general top bloke Mart, who, I feel I must point out - asked for nothing in return). Unfortunately you do get those cunts who flog it on ebay as soon as they see the demand for it.

Lewis

Quote from: "Morgan"Re: Sgt. Murphy's appearance, could this be the original Feedback Report where Morris was so amused by his answers that he brought him in as a regular feature?
I wondered the exact same thing, I've pointed Mart in the direction of this thread and am hoping he'll sign up and can fill in the blanks for us.

Quotesome of these people ringing in are mental, they can't be real.
Clearly you haven't listened to many local radio phone in shows then! I love the nutters that ring into these kinds of shows, and they seem to call in abundance on Friday nights for some reason. Nick Abbot used to be very good at handling the freaky callers when he was on Virgin, basically mocking them without them realizing it and CM used pretty much the same approach "Check that out for a nuthead!" I also loved the guy who didn't drink and Morris simply said "perhaps you should drink more often then"

A great show and I'm really glad everyone is enjoying it as much as I did.

Neil

Yes, that bit where the guy is saying that they don't have booze at his logging club, and Morris goes "So...you're like this all the time then are you?"  just  absolutely floored me.  "Perhaps it would be better if you did have a drink"

He was found of the phrase "Bog off" wasn't he?  Must get your guide up on the page actually.

Oh yeah, there's a "Radio Gloucesteshire" ident in the compilation, weirdly enough a guy got in touch with us recently about the way NKC was broadcast over a couple of different stations, I'll paste that up when I next check my email.

Almost Yearly

Quote from: "Neil"I'm extremely glad Murphy was in there, and in a straighter sort of Feedback Report role, too!  In the subsequent shows he's more of an equal to Morris, and they just bat words and ideas back and forth in an effortless and fucking hilarious way.  

Here's some more clips of him:

http://chilled.cream.org/mp3/cab-glr-sgt-murphy.mp3
http://chilled.cream.org/mp3/sgt_murphy192.mp3
http://chilled.cream.org/mp3/glr/sgtmurphy/chris_morris_and_sgt_murphy-xmas_message_1_cookdandbombd.co.uk_26_12_91.mp3
Hi, it's me, backwards Yearly again. So I'm to believe Morris just chanced on this bloke in an early Feedback, and those later clips were entirely improvised and not nipped and tucked? Well I don't. They're bloody funny though, thanks.

burpmitosis

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"
So I'm to believe Morris just chanced on this bloke in an early Feedback, and those later clips were entirely improvised and not nipped and tucked? Well I don't. They're bloody funny though, thanks.

Surely you can't think that!  I've heard everything available with Sgt. Murphy on and it's real stuff, I reckon.  Some of the things he says in relation to what CM says make it very obvious it's not cut together. I can't explain it too well but this early one shows how Murphy just takes the things Chris says, and says the first thing that comes into his mind as a reply. From that you can definitely see how CM realised that you could say anything to him and get something utterly hilarious back.
I don't imagine much cutting would be required, other than to get it to a short clip size.  I reckon they probably went on like that for ages.  You can hear the amusement and joy in CM's voice in later ones, he clearly thinks the guy is awesome, as do I.

Thanks to all for this, it's brilliant.  When I saw that you'd put it up I went "WHEE!" and involuntarily rose a centimetre or two from my chair. Quite something.
Cheers muchly.

Almost Yearly

It's just too instant, back and forth. Especially the xmas one. I'm suggesting that at least the gaps have been pruned. Unlike say Why Bother. In fact, doesn't the background traffic noise confirm this? I can't tell so well on these speakers. I don't mean this as any kind of denigration, like it's a cardinal sin or nuffink - it's completely brilliant. Just sayin' like, it's too fast to be real time.

Marvin

Wow... I haven't been able to check out the site in ages and when I do this happens.

Thanks Neil, TJ etc, I'm really looking forward to listening to this.

MartS

Guys,
Just thought I'd break cover and post a few things about the NKC montage (for it was I that owned the C90 cassette of desire)
First, thanks for all the words typed about it. I didn't actually know that the NKC is such a holy grail for you CM fans/addicts.

So, first, the date of the tape is a hotch-potch of various bits I found amuzing were from shows aired between 10.05pm and 12.00 on a Friday night between July and November 1989.

I wish there was more to give you, but for the first 2 months of making that tape either the great man was on holiday or on stike (as there was a protracted journos dispute knocking BBC news over the shop for a good couple of months) In fact i'm pretty sure he didn't actually do any shows for 5 weeks in a row in the early August-September. During these 'breaks' no pre-recorded or best of shows were aired, it was either an extra day of the normal weeknight show (which was pretty much bog standard local radio fare) or Radio 2 (during strikes)

Just to put the breaks on one earlier debate - the show was broadcast on BBC Radio Bristol, Radio Gloucestershire and BBC Wilshire Sound. Chris was in Bristol, as was all the phone answerers - The phone system was set up to route the calls from Glouc/Wilts to the studios at Bristol - and there was no real bias to one area on the calls put to air.

Second, the reason the sound quality sometimes sounds like a coachload of angry snakes on a trip to a gravel quarry eating dry corn flakes is because I recorded the show from the BBC Radio Gloucestershire..and I live at least 50 miles from Gloucestershire. It was a constant stuggle most weeks to get a listenable signal, so soz about that.

That tape still makes me laugh. Personal opinion and all that, but that was some of his best solo work on the radio. I too was bemused that he never took live calls on this Radio One show.

Last - my best bit?
Got to be Bill from Weston Super Mare. He only appeared twice on the show, and thank christ my tape was there to get it.

Bye'all.

Morgan

"Check that out for a nuthead"

Yeah, Bill from Weston-Super-Mare is an absolute legend, isn't he?

Thank you so much Mart - you pleased a great many people who never thought they'd hear any of No Known Cure.  Can you remember any stuff of his which you never got to record?  The format of the shows, the helium incident, weird callers?  

Cheers...

Anonymous

Always respectful and thankful to Neil et al for sorting this loverly sight [sic] over the years :D

Thank you!

Anonymous

apologies... past post from lad formerly known as munkyplop. Had some good chats in the, uh, chatroom (!) with Neil back in 2001/2.

I think it's time I got back into the groove.....

but i prefer the name jambo.

Aubrey Barkus

...Fuck, how did I get in here?  Christ, I'm lost.