Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,314
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:23:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The continued embarrassing decline of Robert De Niro.

Started by kitsofan34, December 17, 2013, 02:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viero_Berlotti

I watched De Niro in Red Lights the other day, playing a potentially interesting role as a famous stage psychic that comes out of retirement and challenges a team of skeptics. I thought to myself, "could this be the film where he begins to redeem himself a bit?", but no it was the phoned in performance of a man that lost his mojo a long time ago.

Jake Thingray

An obvious reason for De Niro doing a lot of subpar films for easy money is that he was taken to the cleaners in his last divorce.

Tiny Poster

Diahne Abbott must have had some amazing lawyers, since they divorced in 1988.

kngen

I knew he had a thing for British Ladies of Colour [nb]not just Naomi Campbell but also Charmaine Sinclair, the lucky, lucky sod[/nb] but that's taking things a bit far

Replies From View

Quote from: Mini on December 18, 2013, 11:35:50 PM
Robert De Niro was married to Diane Abbott?

Yes, under the nomenclature Elvis Costello, which facilitated a most excellent comedy double act.

Do actors retire? Most seem to keep working right up until death.

Danny DeVito and Joe Pesci both seem to be though.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Jake Thingray on December 18, 2013, 11:10:09 PM
An obvious reason for De Niro doing a lot of subpar films for easy money is that he was taken to the cleaners in his last divorce.

Did the cleaners mug him?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: thecuriousorange on December 28, 2013, 03:50:31 PM
Do actors retire?

Not usually, the phone just stops ringing and they can't get into The Groucho Club anymore. Then they put their name in the hat for I'm A Celebrity and Dancing On Ice and cross their fingers.

Glebe

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 28, 2013, 04:06:35 PMNot usually, the phone just stops ringing and they can't get into The Groucho Club anymore. Then they put their name in the hat for I'm A Celebrity and Dancing On Ice and cross their fingers.

Listen, love, the phone stops ringing for all of us at some point. Even dear, darling Petey O' Toole was probably desperate for the arse end of a panto horse at some point - and not the way you think![nb]You can have that one for free, great for after-dinner speeches![/nb] Personally I'm looking forward to playing Third Man in Queue in an ad for Beechams next week, which will require all of my Stanislavskian skills. Where's a drink, duckie? *swirls cape*

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Glebe on December 28, 2013, 04:56:05 PM
Personally I'm looking forward to playing Third Man in Queue in an ad for Beechams next week

Work is work, that's what I say. Some see it as sticking your face in someone's arse on a panto stage and smelling their farts for hours whereas the resourceful see it as 300 notes a week in your hand readies. I'd kill for a queue in a Beecham's advert and boo to anyone who says any different.

Serge

Gene Hackman quietly retired about a decade ago, only bringing it up in interviews a few years later. I'm not sure DeVito has, unless that's a joke I'm not getting?

If any bus-pass thespians are worried they're past it in the looks department, don't forget that they can do wonders with computers these days.

For proof check out Arnold Schwarsenegger's naked turn in Terminator Salvation.

Saucer51

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 17, 2013, 03:52:02 PM
De Niro and Stallone appeared on SNL as two of the "Three Wise Guys" at the weekend, and the fake donkeys they were riding managed to out-act both of them.

That to me is wrong straight away. I know RDN and SS were together in Copland but that to me is infra dig for RDN. He was always so much edgier and out there than Stallone. Perhaps De Niro is mellowing and has been for some time.

Meet the Parents - a good film but not an RDN vehicle. Yet I don't want to be harsh on him. He may well have hated being typecast and wanted to spread his acting wings. Travis Bickle and young Vito roles don't come up every day and if they did, we'd all complain about lazy casting agents using De Niro again.

Endicott

Quote from: Tiny Poster on December 17, 2013, 07:28:25 PM
I read that The Family is supposed to be alright.

It really isn't.

He must have done something good since Jackie Brown though, right?

There's Ronin. And Stardust.

El Unicornio, mang

I thought The Score was good, although De Niro is on autopilot in it. I actually quite liked his performance in Righteous Kill too, although the film itself is weak. The Good Shepherd? Wag the Dog? I haven't seen either but I think they got good reviews.

In the same time period, Pacino has done Donnie Brasco, The Insider, Devil's Advocate, Insomnia, Angels in America, You Don't Know Jack and Phil Spector. A more varied and better quality selection out of a list of a lot less films, I think.

Anyway, I'm hopeful Scorsese's The Irishman, with De Niro as mob associate Frank Sheehan and Pacino as Jimmy Hoffa, will be good (although presumably it will be focusing on them in their 50s so they'll likely have to do some CGI or good make-up on them).

Operty1

I'm sure I read somewhere he takes on more work to help pay for his TriBeCa film studio and restaurants, hence the sense of coasting along.

Old Nehamkin

DeVito has been co-starring in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia since 2006, and he still does the odd film as well, I think.

Dyl Spinks

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on December 30, 2013, 10:45:53 PM
Anyway, I'm hopeful Scorsese's The Irishman, with De Niro as mob associate Frank Sheehan and Pacino as Jimmy Hoffa, will be good (although presumably it will be focusing on them in their 50s so they'll likely have to do some CGI or good make-up on them).

I couldn't find a thread on The Irishman, unbelievably, so this six year-old thread will have to do. Looks like US East Coast critics have seen the movie this morning; there's a press embargo until the corresponding West Coast screening later today.

Looking forward to it.

sponk

Hadn't even seen this thread when I referenced DeNiro in another thread a few seconds ago. Odd!

kngen

Quote from: Dyl Spinks on September 27, 2019, 07:30:54 PM
I couldn't find a thread on The Irishman, unbelievably, so this six year-old thread will have to do. Looks like US East Coast critics have seen the movie this morning; there's a press embargo until the corresponding West Coast screening later today.

Looking forward to it.

Can't quite believe this is on Netflix. De Niro and Joe Pesci back with Scorsese. Al Pacino with Scorsese for the first time ever. De Niro, Pacino and Pesci altogether for the first time ever. And, oh, there's fucking Harvey Keitel.

I wonder how limited the 'limited theatrical run' will be. I feel like this needs to be seen on the big screen. It's got a wee bit more cutural heft than whatever shite Adam Sandler is doing.

chveik

Quote from: Dyl Spinks on September 27, 2019, 07:30:54 PM

Looking forward to it.

start a new one

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

De Niro, on live CNN, just said "Fuck 'em, fuck 'em" to anyone who thinks Trump is a great bunch of lads.

Great stuff, hats off to the man, but he looked more animated than he's looked in his last 20 years of film roles.

Someone should cast him in a scathingly anti-Trump film, he'll probably deliver one of his greatest ever performances.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 29, 2019, 10:59:27 PM
Someone should cast him in a scathingly anti-Trump film, he'll probably deliver one of his greatest ever performances.

Have you ever seen the film Wag the Dog? It's not exactly that, but it's a good piece of political satire that was prescient of what happened to Clinton and parts are still relevant. It also stars our Bob (and Dustin Hoffman).

Also this sums that up beautifully:

Quote from: kngen on September 27, 2019, 08:05:04 PM
It's got a wee bit more cutural heft than whatever shite Adam Sandler is doing.

I'm also looking forward to The Irishman, but this is an ironic jab considering the upcoming Safdie Bros. movie that Sandler stars in has a decent chance of being a better NYC-centric crime drama

SteveDave

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 29, 2019, 11:52:43 PM
Have you ever seen the film Wag the Dog? It's not exactly that, but it's a good piece of political satire that was prescient of what happened to Clinton and parts are still relevant. It also stars our Bob (and Dustin Hoffman).

Also this sums that up beautifully:

Mills?