Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 04:37:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Interesting general consumption books on technology?

Started by Sony Walkman Prophecies, December 19, 2013, 07:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sony Walkman Prophecies

I'm after something for my Wired magazine obsessed brother. Does anyone know of any books that might be suitable? I recall someone on here mentioning a book on the history of tech a few months (someone else was criticising it for not containing anything about Hero of Alexandria) but can't find the thread now.

alcoholic messiah

I'm currently in the middle of The Information:

Quote from: Blurb
Winner of the Royal Society Winton Prize for Science Books 2012, the world's leading prize for popular science writing.

We live in the information age. But every era of history has had its own information revolution: the invention of writing, the composition of dictionaries, the creation of the charts that made navigation possible, the discovery of the electronic signal, the cracking of the genetic code.

In 'The Information' James Gleick tells the story of how human beings use, transmit and keep what they know. From African talking drums to Wikipedia, from Morse code to the 'bit', it is a fascinating account of the modern age's defining idea and a brilliant exploration of how information has revolutionised our lives.

If you think that sufficiently fits the 'technology' remit, I'd heartily recommend it.

Famous Mortimer