Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:03:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Bridge/Broen/Bron 2 (the 'Saga' continues)

Started by Jim_MacLaine, December 23, 2013, 11:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_MacLaine

Saga and Martin are back on the 4th January.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03bncr5

On the whole I enjoyed series 1 immensely. The ending was a cop out but it was beautifully shot and there were some great performances.

Did anyone watch any of the other versions of the original? I couldn't hack US/Mexico but the Sky Atlantic incarnation has worked for me.

So are we looking forward to this?

chand

I'm looking forward to it, I loved the first series although like a lot of people I felt the reveal of who the killer was and how he'd got away with it was a bit of a stretch, to put it mildly. It was a bit like The Killing II in that I enjoyed the ride and was left a bit cold by the resolution[nb]I keep meaning to rewatch that series knowing who the killer is to see if it actually makes any fucking sense[/nb]. Saga was just a brilliant character though so I'll watch the crap out of this even if it gets daft.

Johnny Yesno

Johnny Townmouse

I'm loving season 2 - almost finished with it.

Anyone else cracking through them?

I found a good source for better subtitles than the ones offered with the "downloads", which are clearly processed through google translate and often make fuck-all sense and do not allow for nuance.

Jim_MacLaine

Nah, I've had my fingers burnt with shite subtitles before so will be going at BBC4's pace.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on December 27, 2013, 11:04:53 PM
Nah, I've had my fingers burnt with shite subtitles before so will be going at BBC4's pace.

Likewise. The subtitles for the third series of The Killing were ridiculously poor, I ended up watching the first five episodes but then having to wait ages for BBC4 to catch up and I don't want to have to do that again.

But out of interest, does she get her front bottom out again?

Johnny Townmouse

If anyone wants to watch the second season of The Bridge/Broen/Bron/Bran/Brin and would prefer better subtitles let me know. I source mine from a forum where people edit the srt files to make them better. I stopped watching episode 5 yesterday as the subs packaged with the original download were all "{][][] your turtle is green time ]]]]".

I then downloaded new subs from the forum and they are excellent, with pretty much no errors.

Johnny Townmouse

I loved season 2, and enjoyed how much they went into the
Spoiler alert
character's psyches, and the time they spent on some backstory. The 'plot' is a bit shaggy dog story, and veers into silliness,
[close]
but I still think this is one of the best TV dramas being made right now.

The main issue I have, which seems more pronounced in season 2, is the extent to which
Spoiler alert
Saga's condition seems to come and go dependent on certain situations. She is often incapable of understanding the very basics of human interaction, like she is some kind of alien, and then in the next scene she is interviewing a suspect and making excellent, and very human, insights that help them move the case forward. I am able to suspend my disbelief, but it is a stretch.
[close]

By the way, not really spoilers above at all, but I prefer to be careful.

BlodwynPig

Great start, but why does the continuity announcer feel the need to introduce a spoiler just before the episode, no matter how benign. Fuckwits.

One of the few times you can watch something and can't wait for the next episode, sod all that downloading lark the anticipation is part of what grips you.

NZP

Anyway, I've seen bits of all three versions. The original, obviously, is amazing. Just fascinating TV. Loved it. The British version seems like white-hot trash after 1 episode. I won't bother with that. The US version is stupider, obviously, and the stereotypes & annoying characters / traits are more exaggerated (the journalist almost put me off watching), but watch-able. Currently about halfway through that one.

Fuck waiting on BBC. Imma DL this shiz.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: clayhill halls of residen on January 04, 2014, 11:30:39 PMOne of the few times you can watch something and can't wait for the next episode, sod all that downloading lark the anticipation is part of what grips you.

Speak for yourself! I find the drip-fed 'one hour per week' format to be annoying and a killer of drama and tension. I always prefer to read books in one sitting - same goes for listening to albums - and also watching films or TV series. In the case of the TV series naturally it is not really possible to watch a whole series/season in one sitting, but I watched The Bridge 2 in less than a week, usually 2 episodes per night which was just enough.

My experience, and this was definitely the case with The Sopranos, was that after a week I had to reacquaint myself with the show, and remind myself of plot points. Whereas box-set watching means you really get steeped into the world of the show, and it can become part of your life for a week or two.

Probably something for another thread....

NZP

So the schmucks at the BBC show these 2 at a time, yes?

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: NZP on January 05, 2014, 06:49:45 PM
So the schmucks at the BBC show these 2 at a time, yes?

Yeah, next week is also two episodes so I guess they are happy with showing this over 5-weeks.

chand

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on January 05, 2014, 06:55:08 PM
Yeah, next week is also two episodes so I guess they are happy with showing this over 5-weeks.

That's how they've showed Borgen and The Killing and the first series of this, personally I think it's just right, like watching it as a series of Saturday night movies.

First two episodes of this were enjoyable, Saga and Martin play really well off each other and that's what draws me in. Will be interesting to see where it goes since we already know whodunnit and why.

thepuffpastryhangman

Saga will laugh genuinely but inappropriately. Martin being reunited with his family is heavily odds on already. The assistant she suggested 'go for a walk' will fail to realise Saga expects him to come along at least once - that might make her genuinely laugh. The expression "bad idea" will be used in almost every episode.

thepuffpastryhangman

BlodwynPig

Quote from: chand on January 06, 2014, 09:27:15 AM
That's how they've showed Borgen and The Killing and the first series of this, personally I think it's just right, like watching it as a series of Saturday night movies.

First two episodes of this were enjoyable, Saga and Martin play really well off each other and that's what draws me in. Will be interesting to see where it goes since we already know whodunnit and why.

I guess there are others with more arch plans in the shadows.

NZP

kINDA like how there wasn't any bullshite story for them getting forced together again, she just went to him and he was into it, sorted, now let's get on with it. good stuff
he's a bit sexier with grey hair and she's put on a bit of weight. other than that, my thoughts on the show,

thepuffpastryhangman

This is nowhere near as intense as the first series. None of "the kids" were interesting and the only recent chilling bit was the woman in the office dying from the apple. Watching/recalling last night's 2 hours nothing jumps out as a great bit.

Leader man not having sex with his wife and her being quizzed by her sister contrasting with Saga's quizzing Martin about him not having sex gave it some shape. As does the kid, Linus - Martin's going to adopt him (when he's back with Mette of course)? Some of the script is ok, though they're over-egging Saga, maybe Martin asking her if she wanted people to hate her were the writers asking themselves. The scene with Linus 'it wasn't your fault' worked though.

It's still good, and almost every shot is a classic. I'm seeing shapes on my TV and they're bloody well lit.

That girl, not much to her character, just a list of things she does. Surely her dad's going to be in it again...

BlodwynPig

Its bloody brilliant.

I reckon the sad sack of a husband (here's a boob job love) is either one of the higher-ups or was shagging her sister (and hence knew she lied about the wine glasses), or both. He's has a real menace of a face.

I hope its some sort of nouvea-riche cabal that are pulling these strings. Very sinister.

thepuffpastryhangman

Wasn't it implied he (implant prezzy man) had the body of tagged Audi A7 man in his car boot?
(Moving the body so the Feds assume he'd (tagged Audi A7 man'd) tried to kill implant prezzy man's daughter.
The daughter wasn't dead though, because her own dad wouldn't kill her.
Is that right?

BlodwynPig

Eh? Are you two episodes ahead of us here puff?

thepuffpastryhangman

I've been accused of many things, but spoilers aint one of them.

Now I'm thinking I've made up the link between the girl and implant prezzy man. Oops. It was a bit late...

Regardless of the girl, I still think implant prezzy man has tagged Audi A7 man in his boot.

BlodwynPig

Yes, it could be (flight info implies he did some other business before getting home / either the sister or the murder or both / sister in on it - the cabal )

mothman

Two things from this week's double bill:

Spoiler alert
1. A supposed soiurce of poisoning didn't have the telltale toad emblem. 2. Boris, the first-choice keynote speaker at a climate conference tied somehow to the EU summit has been poisoned and has had to be replaced. The replacement speaker is miffed about being second choice. She's in on all this somehow. I think they're planning a really big attack at the summit and the hurried nature of the offing of Boris means they perhaps assumed she would be first choice.
[close]

thepuffpastryhangman

Now I'm thinking I'm tripping. The girl's dad has short dark hair, implant prezzy man is chubbier and has floppy hair. (I think)

They're both involved, that's their sameness. (If I could do a nonchalant whistle I'd be doing it already)