Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:06:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Bridge/Broen/Bron 2 (the 'Saga' continues)

Started by Jim_MacLaine, December 23, 2013, 11:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

surreal

That was pretty great - some fantastic performances especially when Saga was talking to Martin about her sister, very believable emotional breakthrough.   Cannot wait for season 3.

Santa's Boyfriend

Hopefully Saga will bust him out of prison...?

Interesting interviews with the cast recently.  They all reckon that the UK is looking too much to American TV for inspiration and forgotten what the UK was originally good at, allowing Scandinavian TV, who loved what we used to do, to come in and do it instead.  They seem on cloud 9 that it's gone down well over here, but it does beg the question: can this country really not do this as well?  It does suggest there's a gap in the market.

Jim_MacLaine

That was superb but yeah, a bleak finale.

Martin's definitely back for series 3 so I'm sure they will find a way to get him off/out.

Santa's Boyfriend

I'm not convinced he did it.  Partly because they didn't show it, but mainly because he neither confirmed nor denied it to Saga, he simply said "are you sure it was me?" which is more questioning her faith in him than anything else.  I'm wondering if he'll be found innocent within the first 5 minutes of series 3.

Jim_MacLaine

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on February 03, 2014, 08:26:23 AM
I'm not convinced he did it.  Partly because they didn't show it, but mainly because he neither confirmed nor denied it to Saga, he simply said "are you sure it was me?" which is more questioning her faith in him than anything else.  I'm wondering if he'll be found innocent within the first 5 minutes of series 3.

That's what I thought as due to her 'by the book' nature she would have the cups tested before having a fellow cop and her only friend arrested.

chand

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on February 03, 2014, 11:32:16 AM
That's what I thought as due to her 'by the book' nature she would have the cups tested before having a fellow cop and her only friend arrested.

Far as I could tell the cup was in the process of being tested, but I think the circumstances would justify an arrest at least; a man who hated Jens, regularly went to see him and took him drinks, had access to a vial of poison which mysteriously went missing at the same time that Jens seems to have been poisoned.

Jim_MacLaine

We'll have to wait until September 2015 to find out for sure :(

Josef K

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Josef K on February 03, 2014, 06:34:26 PM
It was
Spoiler alert
Rasmus
[close]
wot dun it.

motiv? revenge? did he even know about Jens.

Sept 2015...that's like the next century!

The question you should be asking is who shot Gertrude? .

Jim_MacLaine

The writer said that was just to make the ending a bit more interesting and may or may not be addressed in series 3.

Santa's Boyfriend

Damn those Nordic writers and their habit of making the story up as they're going along!  I know The Killing was written as they were making it, so the writer could completely change the ending depending on what happened in the media, if people guessed the killer's identity, etc. 

Apparently Lund's partner was supposed to die in the 4th episode or something, but didn't because the writer changed his mind when he saw their chemistry.

Frazer

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on February 03, 2014, 11:32:16 AM
She would definitely have phoned the prison to see if he'd visited during his absence.

Jim_MacLaine

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 03, 2014, 10:35:42 PM
Sept 2015...that's like the next century!

and if it follows this year's BBC4 transmission dates it'll be 2016.

mothman

Anyone who asks "HOW could she dob him in?!" isn't really understanding her character. She broke the rules once, to save her sister. And it didn't help - may even, in her fragile mind, have made things worse. It rather leaves me questioning whether shooting Martin at the end of season one wasn't to specifically prevent him throwing his life away and going down for murder, but simply her obsessive need to prevent crimes and bring people to justice. In her book a policeman shooting an unarmed man in cold blood is wrong, however much the suspect might have deserved it, whatever the consequences would have been for the policeman.

Given how complex the plotting can be, it was actually a rather hamfisted attempt to introduce a cliffhanger. "Oh how strange, Martin's vanished for a few hours." Followed by Jens' death, the missing vial (what's the betting it turns out just to have fallen to the bottom of the evidence box?) and that most damning of clues, Martin throwing a cup in the bin. And you know what? WE know Martin takes those types of cups in to Jens. But I don't think Saga ever went with him, so how does she?

Martin's reactions are interesting. When she finds him he's back in the pool, a place of fear for him, but now he's at peace - as if he knows Jens can't hurt him anymore, and whether or not that's down to him is irrelevant. But he also knows immediately that Saga is there for one reason. And that he suspects (but maybe doesn't quite believe) that she won't let it go. So he goes to look at his family one more time, knowing what is about to happen even if not quite believing she'll throw him to the wolves after all they've been through.

I wonder how many episodes of Bron/Broen III it'll take to get them to kiss and make up..?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: mothman on February 04, 2014, 11:15:56 PM
Anyone who asks "HOW could she dob him in?!" isn't really understanding her character. She broke the rules once, to save her sister. And it didn't help - may even, in her fragile mind, have made things worse. It rather leaves me questioning whether shooting Martin at the end of season one wasn't to specifically prevent him throwing his life away and going down for murder, but simply her obsessive need to prevent crimes and bring people to justice. In her book a policeman shooting an unarmed man in cold blood is wrong, however much the suspect might have deserved it, whatever the consequences would have been for the policeman.

That's how I felt about it all (having just finished watching the finale now). And with anyone else Saga would have arrested them immediately, so I feel like she did at least give Martin a chance to flee. The fact that he's coming back for the third season is problematic though, I mean he can't go to prison unless the next batch are set ten plus years in the future, so either he gets off on a technicality or he didn't actually do it. But I can't see the latter being the case personally.

Thoughts on the season as a whole:

Generally loved it, if only for the character stuff. Saga's interactions with children always entertains, and Rasmus quickly became a ridiculously shit but amusing comedy character, I found myself think singing "That's our Rasmus!" every time he fucked up. I felt the main mystery was handled pretty well too, and I certainly didn't feel cheated by the final reveal. It's a shame we didn't get to see who was behind it all, but I suppose that's the point, there will always be some shadowy organisation in the background that can't be eliminated so easily.

Also: RIP Sexy Lesbian Teacher Woman.

NZP

Heart breaking.

Anyway, glad that's done. Sick of seeing ugly, elderly old gray women and horrific blown-up babymen. Terrible supporting cast this year. Saga, Martin & Perille were grand though.

NZP

also they could just have him in prison for s3, not that big an issue really

also any thoughts as to if martin set himself up? did he want to go to prison?

Jim_MacLaine

Latest.

QuoteTHE BRIDGE WILL RETURN! Beginning autumn 2015, new murders and mysteries will crop up across the Øresund, prompting Saga Norén to lead the investigation. She had her only friend, Martin Rohde, thrown in jail for the murder of Jens. There he'll stay in season 3, forcing Saga to collaborate with her colleagues in order to solve a new series of murders in Malmö and Copenhagen.

BlodwynPig

This has returned for a fourth series now (English subtitled version available pre-BBC4 if you look hard enough). Familiar ground tread in the first episode but still enough to work with.

mothman

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on December 27, 2013, 11:04:53 PM
Nah, I've had my fingers burnt with shite subtitles before so will be going at BBC4's pace.

Words to live by.

Neomod

The BBC 4 transmission should be imminent as they recently put the first 3 series on iplayer for viewers to catch up.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: mothman on April 20, 2018, 08:58:32 AM
Words to live by.

the subtitles are spot on - even got the colloquialisms right.

surreal

Quote from: Neomod on April 20, 2018, 09:12:14 AM
The BBC 4 transmission should be imminent as they recently put the first 3 series on iplayer for viewers to catch up.

This is going to be on BBC2 in May apparently, not BBC4

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2018-04-18/the-bridge-series-4-uk-release-date/

Black Ship

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

BOOM

The end of the first wave of Scandi-Noir.

The intro/outro song is perfect really.