Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:30:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mel Smith: I've Sort Of Done Things

Started by Serge, December 25, 2013, 08:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serge

Managed to catch up with this earlier on, and thought it was a great tribute to Mel. Griff really did seem like he was on the verge of tears a couple of times. Oddly structured, though, and not a single mention of 'Colin's Sandwich'. But the clips from 'Smith And Goody' bought back memories, and I'm sad to say that "Is the soap up your end?" got the biggest laugh from me.

Uncle TechTip

Yes, Griff was buoyant throughout until the end when he admitted that it hadn't sunk in, and he often caught himself thinking about things they might do together in the future, before realising he won't be able to. Proper sad that was.

Biggest laugh for me is the baby businessmen sketch, and it's a great example of their style. A simple joke, not that funny if you read it on paper, but unleashed by the power of their performance turning it into a classic comedy sketch.

Serge

Yeah, the baby businessmen was great, I'd completely forgotten that sketch! Although I recognised one of the waiters as Robin Driscoll, was the other one Pete McCarthy?

I think it was. They played that sketch at Mel's memorial a couple of weeks back too, to good laughs. Bitter-sweet, as these things tend to be (hmm, stating the obvious there, sorry).

Ambient Sheep

Sorry for the bump and short notice, but I thought that people might like to know that this is being repeated at 10pm this evening on BBC4.

Phil_A

The Smith & Jones Homemade Xmas Video is on after it as well.

Lost Oliver

It'll be on the iPlayer, both will in fact. Looking forward to these later.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Phil_A on December 13, 2018, 09:22:39 PM
The Smith & Jones Homemade Xmas Video is on after it as well.

One of my favourite comedy Christmas specials, it should be better known.

SteveDave

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 14, 2018, 10:46:03 AM
One of my favourite comedy Christmas specials, it should be better known.

Agreed. I was talking about this with my wife my wife the other day and she'd never heard of it. It will be watched this weekend...

neveragain

It's also on the Alas Smith and Jones DVD, which has some other bloody good extras too.