Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:34:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 8

Started by Replies From View, December 26, 2013, 03:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Talulah, really!

Quote from: Mister Six on December 28, 2013, 03:32:23 PM
While we're waiting, and because I'm bored, here're a few Moffat tropes I've noticed. He's always had a habit of repeating himself, but it's become a bit more noticeable since he took over the show...

Any more for any more?

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 28, 2013, 05:01:06 PM
Also sounds like he's acknowledging the flaws in S7.

Moffat announces what to expect in the new season.

"Whatever it was last time, that's so last season! We are so going in a totally different direction, like, totally shaking things up... this time it will be really different, all new, it's all changing.....except for the writers of course."

HappyTree

Quote from: The Duck Man on December 28, 2013, 05:47:53 PM
Thanks for that Tom info, Biggy. I'm afraid I don't remember that scene at all!
I didn't either. Had to go back and search. Didn't take long, he's right at the very start (about 1 minute in) for all of 12 seconds. But in those 12 seconds he manages to look like a wet fish doing an impression of Paul Merton (or, indeed, Paul Merton doing an impression of a wet fish), with a delivery of "you've got a phone call" that has all the passion and urgency of "You haven't got a tissue have you, Reggie? Ursula's forgotten mine."

Yes, I'm moaning about it after only 12 seconds. :-D I mean, I'm all for positive female role models in popular drama. I have some friends who are black and gay too. But really, do we have to have such exaggerated polar opposite archetypes all the time? - Woman capable. Man pathetic - What about woman capable and human and man capable and human forming a symbiotic and complementary team like wot happens in real life innit? Ah that would take more time to write for. Bingo!

Sherlock 4 sounds great. Just as long as Moffat's got nothing to do with DW at the same time. Whether it was down to a genuine lack of time or just his fannying about and wasting it, there were definite issues and he said so himself.

Mister Six

Quote from: Replies From View on December 28, 2013, 05:24:42 PM
I see Moffat's point about "good at it" being the enemy of any raw art, but I'd kind of like Doctor Who to settle a bit before kicking the dust about once more.

My hope is that he's just admitting that he/the entire production crew got a bit complacent this past year and a bit, with regards to content as well as form. Not so much 'being slick' as 'thinking you're being slick while actually letting the actual output slide'.

Hopefully he's read the enthusiasm various forums have expressed for season 5, and will swing back towards that a bit.

Thomas

I hope we get a finale that doesn't revolve around the Doctor's own self.

Series 5 - the universe dies because the Doctor is locked up and his TARDIS kabooms.

Series 6 - time knackers because the (Teselecta) Doctor doesn't get shot.

Series 7 - the universe gets mangey because the Doctor's timestream is fiddled with.

I've enjoyed them for the most part, especially The Big Bang, but I'd like now to see again the Doctor tackling a problem external to himself. And maybe a move back to the two-parter finale model. And perhaps, for once, the entire universe isn't on the brink of collapse. We've had that since Series 4.

Replies From View

Quote from: Thomas on December 29, 2013, 02:39:45 PM
I hope we get a finale that doesn't revolve around the Doctor's own self.

Series 5 - the universe dies because the Doctor is locked up and his TARDIS kabooms.

Series 6 - time knackers because the (Teselecta) Doctor doesn't get shot.

Series 7 - the universe gets mangey because the Doctor's timestream is fiddled with.

I've enjoyed them for the most part, especially The Big Bang, but I'd like now to see again the Doctor tackling a problem external to himself. And maybe a move back to the two-parter finale model. And perhaps, for once, the entire universe isn't on the brink of collapse. We've had that since Series 4.

Series 5 is much more about Amy than the Doctor, though.  The resolution revolves around how he fixes things, but what was great about The Big Bang was the way that the story centred around a handful of characters in a museum rather than the spectacle of Dalek spaceships or whatever in the Earth's orbit.  And the entire resolution focuses tightly on Amy - her memories and her feelings on her wedding day - rather than on the Doctor.

Series 6 and 7 certainly do attend more directly to the Doctor's importance in the universe and I'll agree with you there.  It'd be nice if series 8 could climax in a way that wasn't so universe-shattering altogether, to be honest.  You wouldn't think it watching Doctor Who finales, but sometimes things can matter tremendously to a handful of people without all of life everywhere potentially being destroyed.

Thomas

I'm with you on Series 5's finale, of course. It was perfick stuff. A claustrophobic 'end of the universe' story is the best way to do it.

And 'Augustus Pond' was a great name.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: The Duck Man on December 28, 2013, 05:47:53 PM
Isn't another one leaving the Doctor somewhere for year upon year? Smith's Doctor stays on Trenzalore for ages, there's a bit in The Impossible Astronaut where he's been captured for a while isn't there? People with better memories will be able to  say whether I'm right or wrong.

Not just the Doctor - Amy was alone for decades in The Girl Who Waited.

Replies From View

Also The Girl in the Fireplace, but these were accidental on the Doctor's part rather than moments of abandoning or leaving them deliberately for their own safety (unlike with Rose in The Parting of the Ways or Clara in The Time of the Doctor).

Edit:  I'm getting the discussions in these Doctor Who threads mixed up!

BritishHobo

What do we actually have confirmation of then, at this point? Dates/writers/directors etc.

This was the last piece of news in the other thread (posted by Norton Canes, because I feel bad about just copying it over):

QuoteGareth Roberts has revealed that he will be returning to the Doctor Who team this year. Issue 139 of Quench, a Cardiff student lifestyle magazine, features an interview with Roberts and reports that he is "currently working on the new Peter Capaldi episodes for Doctor Who Series 8".

Roberts has written 5 episodes for Doctor Who in the past including The Shakespeare Code, The Unicorn and the Wasp, Planet of the Dead, The Lodger and Closing Time, as well as writing countless episodes for spin-off series The Sarah Jane Adventures. Outside the Whoniverse, Gareth's other writing credits include Wizards vs Alien and Emmerdale.

Gareth Roberts is currently the fourth writer confirmed for Peter Capaldi's debut season, joining Steven Moffat, Mark Gatiss and Neil Cross

notjosh

Quote from: Mister Six on December 28, 2013, 03:32:23 PM
While we're waiting, and because I'm bored, here're a few Moffat tropes I've noticed. He's always had a habit of repeating himself, but it's become a bit more noticeable since he took over the show...

Using wordplay as a way of resolving plots:
Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue
Melody Pond/River Song
No More & Gallifrey Falls/Gallifrey Falls No More

I'm sure there are more.

Phil_A

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 04, 2014, 12:37:09 AM
What do we actually have confirmation of then, at this point? Dates/writers/directors etc.

This was the last piece of news in the other thread (posted by Norton Canes, because I feel bad about just copying it over):

Ben Wheatley's been confirmed to direct the first two episodes, hasn't he?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24521790

biggytitbo

There's some confusion as to whether Wheatley is directing the first to be filmed or the first to be broadcast. I think the guy who directed Cold War said on his twitter he was filming an episode this month so it might be the latter.

mattjjh

Quote from: notjosh on January 04, 2014, 10:17:17 AM
Using wordplay as a way of resolving plots:
Melody Pond/River Song

I'm sure there are more.
they seemed to get increasingly more gratuitous recently - "It is a secret he will take to the grave, and it is discovered.", "gallifrey falls/no more", "the man who stayed for Christmas".

mothman

So, this thread is it now. I wonder how many pages it will get to before we even get any new Who in... September? October?

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: notjosh on January 04, 2014, 10:17:17 AMUsing wordplay as a way of resolving plots:
Melody Pond/River Song

I'm sure there are more.

You could argue that the punchline of The Girl in the Fireplace is along similar lines.

Norton Canes

What's this, Moffat tropes?

Heads turning slowly round to reveal scariness: the information terminals in Silence In The Library, the Smilers in The Beast Below, and the Spoonheads in The Bells Of Saint John.

Thomas

I like that Moffat trope of turning 'a thing' into 'a spooky thing.' Blink, cursing every statue in the world, did it best.

Five years later and it's still what springs to mind on seeing a stone figure. There are loads lining the roof at the Louvre, where my Weeping Angels episode will be set.

biggytitbo

Looks like Ben Wheatley kicks off filming on Monday, possibly with the rumoured Frank Cotterel Boyce Dalek 2 parter. That's slightly exciting isn't it?

mycroft

So we can hopefully expect a Capaldi costume-shot some time soon?

And hopefully a proper BBC publicity shot with the TARDIS and not him on his way to the catering van with an anorak on over it.

biggytitbo

If they're filming on location they'll have to.

Crikey imagine they announced Ben Wheatley was directing a new film starring Peter Capaldi and written by Frank Cotterel Boyce - who wouldn't be excited by that? But it's Doctor Who!

HappyTree

Mister Six

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 05, 2014, 08:45:01 AMCrikey imagine they announced Ben Wheatley was directing a new film starring Peter Capaldi and written by Frank Cotterel Boyce - who wouldn't be excited by that? But it's Doctor Who!

RTD's run burned me out on the Daleks, but that actually has me a bit excited again. Frank Cotterel Boyce is an interesting one to turn to for a script - really like it when Moffat turns to people outside the usual circles to write scripts. Hope it is him, and that the rest of the writers turn out to be equally intriguing.

Replies From View

Quote from: mycroft on December 27, 2013, 06:30:17 PM
I liked how his lines were worded ("Would you happen to know...?"). Seems the Doctor has become a grown-up again after that bollocking from Hurt. Hooray!

He actually says "Do you happen to know..."

Not sure if that negates the point of him sounding grown-up or not!

BritishHobo

Quote from: Mister Six on January 05, 2014, 11:40:53 AM
RTD's run burned me out on the Daleks, but that actually has me a bit excited again. Frank Cotterel Boyce is an interesting one to turn to for a script - really like it when Moffat turns to people outside the usual circles to write scripts. Hope it is him, and that the rest of the writers turn out to be equally intriguing.

A lot of people say that a new Doctor doesn't properly come into the role until they've faced the daleks, which I think is fucking horseshit - and I'd be quite happy if they didn't really appear for another year or so - but I would love to see Capaldi come up against them, at least once.

I'm just very excited to see what kind of Doctor he'll be. I know he's not going to be all Malcolm Tucker, and that observation's probably tired by now... be nice to have him as a grumpier one though, in the vein of Hartnell.

Thomas

Too many Daleks, I reckon. Too many shabby stories.

If the Doctor remains deleted from their memory, though, it could be interesting having them face the Doctor for what they believe to be the first time. Another parallel with 1963's series, perhaps.

biggytitbo

If Capaldi has lost his memories, and the Daleks have had their memories deleted then that would make an interesting confrontation. To the Daleks he'd just be some bloke getting in their way, to the Doc they'd just be another foe to defeat.

Thomas

On Tumblr - where else? - a lot of people have been getting in a rut about Capaldi's 'do you know how to fly this thing?' line. I've read confident Moffat-bashing for his 'erasing the Doctor's memory.' But every new Doctor suffers from that kind of thing. I don't imagine he's just forgotten fifty years of canon, forever.

Replies From View

biggytitbo

To be honest I wish they'd dispense of the post regeneration trauma stuff and just get on with the story. I always found it a bit boring.