Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:22:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Digital Radio with iPod Dock?

Started by Johnny Townmouse, December 28, 2013, 04:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Townmouse

I'm looking around for a good quality digital radio with iPod dock to stick in my kitchen. As I have been snuffling through various sites my budget has naturally increased slowly, and before long I was looking at this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revo-Axis-X3-Internet-Lightning/dp/B00F6T65U4/ref=sr_1_1/280-2958327-6392717?ie=UTF8&qid=1388248682&sr=8-1&keywords=REVO+x3

It's lovely and is recommended by lots of sites, and Which?, HiFi etc, but then I remembered that I really do not want to spend over £75.

I guess the main issues are usability and sound quality, although it is quite a small kitchen, but I may move it to other rooms if the need arises. Often those small speakers are so tinny.

Any help most appreciated, to be rewarded with pictures of my helmet when I had a case of thrush four years ago.

Queneau

Can't recent iPods pick up the radio anyway? If that's the case then I'd get a much cheaper one (a speaker system) instead. But then I don't really know much about it. I use a very cheap dock with a very old iPod to play radio recordings at night times and it does the job. If you can get digital radio through your iPod then that would make a lot of sense to me.

Johnny Townmouse

I have a very old iPod Classic that I have no interest in upgrading. I left my old one on a flight last year and I picked up exactly the same second-hand one through a friend. I like fucking around with the volume, track changing etc without looking down at it, and I generally despise touch-screens. I have an iPhone but don't want to use that for music stuff.

Perhaps my needs are a little too specific for recommendations and I will fall at the mercy of amazon reviews and popularity :shudder:

I've got a Sony XDR-DS12iP dock which is pretty good. I've only used it in the bedroom (it's meant as a clock radio really) but it kicks out a decent amount of bass for its size. It's been discontinued but refurb/second-hand ones seem to go for around £30-£60 on ebay, Amazon etc.

Queneau

Johnny Townmouse

Thanks Queneau and waste of chops - I tend to avoid Sony because I sometimes feel they double the price for the name, compared to better quality but less well known brands. But this has good reviews and I'll probably end up getting it.

Kisses.

EDIT: Aha, turns out that loads of these don't take the iPod Classic and only models like the Touch. Looks like a research mission as Apple support were naturally unhelpful.