Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:47:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stalled careers

Started by Famous Mortimer, December 29, 2013, 05:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaprisky

I've got another one: Richard Stanley.

Made sci-fi Brit flick Hardware, had difficulties with Scala favourite Dust Devil, did a longform music video for Marillion and got kicked off some big budget Hollywood film. That documentary that was rejected by BSB sounds interesting.

Maybe we should start predicting which of the current crop of hyped-up stars and flavour-of-the-months will fall into the "stalled" category. I have a feeling that Jennifer Lawrence may end up doing all her best work early then appear on one of these threads in eight years time. Nah, scrub that. I'll go with the one who played Lady Sybil in Downton Abbey.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on December 30, 2013, 02:11:14 AM
In fairness to Nick Moran, he seems to have lost interest in acting, apart from a small role in the last couple of Harrys Potter, having co-written a play about Joe Meek that ran in the West End, co-written and directed the film adaptation ("Telstar") and co-written and directed another film since then.

Yeah, Moran's alright. Artistically, he put something back in. More power to him. 

It's sad how most of the public consider actors as failures if they're not off the telly or famous. The actor also has to sustain that fame to the end of their life too. Bit unfair.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on December 30, 2013, 06:10:06 PM
Isla Fisher seemed to vanish for a few years, then suddenly she was everywhere. For some reason, I get really annoyed by celebrities getting a second wind - Kylie Minogue did it before, too; after initial success she became kitsch and unpopular, before suddenly reappearing a few years later and taking the world by storm. Surely it's someone else's turn.
Didn't Isla have kids hence the hiatus?

Kylie is much more interesting than the average pop star so her forays into kitsch/avant-garde are fine. I think the last time she was in the public eye was for some French arthouse film last year.

Holly Valance might've been next if she jumped to the big screen.

Genevieve

Valance did surprise me by appearing in one of the first of Liam Neeson's reinventions-as-an-action-hero films.  She seems to be inclined to laziness and love of money so she has married a very rich property developer.

I wish Jon Finch (who died a bit over a year ago) had done more films, he delighted us in Frenzy, Final Programme and a tasty walk on (get in a car) in Sunday Bloody Sunday.  It seems a good agent/manager talking him into accepting roles would've helped and he was also hampered by diabetes.  He did a bunch of literary adaptations but that's culture innit, so I haven't seen em.  Trouble with theatre as well, however much work they might be doing, it's usually in London and that's not much use to most of their fans, is it?

Blumf

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 29, 2013, 05:22:51 PM
I was reading an excellent article on straight-to-video action films, and someone in the comments mentioned Lexi Alexander's "Punisher: War Zone".

Just watched this and... well... she may need a little guidance on the effect of gunshot wounds upon the human body.

Best bit: The parkour killing

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Urinal Cake on December 30, 2013, 08:03:12 PM
Kylie is much more interesting than the average pop star so her forays into kitsch/avant-garde are fine. I think the last time she was in the public eye was for some French arthouse film last year.

Yeah, Holy Motors, which I love to pieces, her role's not exactly huge but she does what's demanded of her very well.

kidsick5000

Quote from: mothman on December 29, 2013, 06:52:26 PM
I do like to have a chuckle regarding the career (or lack of it) of one Danny Cannon, who made one British movie in the early 90's (The Young Americans) which was so obviously designed to attract the interests of US studios, he might as well just have filmed himself fellating studio execs for 90 minutes. He then went off to Hollywood in full "I'll show you, Britain's film industry is dead, I'm out of here, losers" mode. Made Judge Dredd with Stallone, and was never heard from again. I think he ended up as a director of CSI episodes.

I hope you've not been chuckling too hard. Cannon didn't just direct a CSI episode or two. He helped create the show and has served as producer and/or exec producer for the entire franchise.
So yeah. Not as upfront as a film director, but pretty damn successful.

SteveDave

Quote from: Urinal Cake on December 30, 2013, 08:22:37 AM
Every actor and actress from 'Home and Away', "neighbours' etc and went overseas to 'make it' with the exception of Isla Fisher, Guy Pierce and probably a few others who haven't done stuff recently.

Melissa George (Angel) has become a low rent scream queen. She also appears to have had Freddie Mercury's teeth implanted in her mouth.

And she got them out in Dark City.

mothman

Quote from: kidsick5000 on December 31, 2013, 08:41:29 AM

I hope you've not been chuckling too hard. Cannon didn't just direct a CSI episode or two. He helped create the show and has served as producer and/or exec producer for the entire franchise.
So yeah. Not as upfront as a film director, but pretty damn successful.

So, rose without trace then. I'm not actually sure which would be more pathetic, to have had dreams of being a great director but instead becoming just another Suit, or if that was his ultimate goal all along and he was all mouth and no trousers regarding his directorial ambitions.

Quote from: SteveDave on December 31, 2013, 09:35:29 AM
Melissa George (Angel) has become a low rent scream queen. She also appears to have had Freddie Mercury's teeth implanted in her mouth.

He's not talking about her teeth here, readers.

mobias

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on December 29, 2013, 11:45:59 PM
Steve Guttenberg's career dropped dead for some reason in 1990.

I think he was a bit of a twat off camera and bad mouthed a lot of people. I read a recent interview with him where he certainly seemed very bitter. He had a big go at Ewan McGregor for some unkown reason. Jealousy I guess.

Harrison Ford is a major A list actor who recently seems like he's gabbing any gig he can get. I get the impression he certainly would never have agreed to the recent Star Wars reboot if he was asked ten or so years ago. Its hardly a stalled career mind you.

I was reading an interview with F Murray Abraham recently who was asked why he never had a bigger career after the oscar success of Amadeus. He said he actively didn't seek out large movie parts so he could pursue a career in theatre, which he prefers. He also doesn't like being recognised in public so never wished to be hugely famous.

Tiny Poster

Harrison Ford seems like a huge A-Lister because of Indy and Star Wars, but outside a handful of late 80s/early 90s hits (Witness, The Fugitive) he hasn't been enough of a star to guarantee a hit on name alone for 20 years.

Glebe

Quote from: mobias on December 31, 2013, 02:21:00 PMI was reading an interview with F Murray Abraham recently who was asked why he never had a bigger career after the oscar success of Amadeus. He said he actively didn't seek out large movie parts so he could pursue a career in theatre, which he prefers. He also doesn't like being recognised in public so never wished to be hugely famous.

He has a reputation for being 'difficult', apparently. He's made a little bit of a comeback with the Coens' Being Llewyn Davis and Homeland.

Urinal Cake

There was kerfuffle when she or somebody else got tired of HaA being referenced or said HaA was shit or something and then the press was like, 'WHo does she think she is HaA is great Australian telly and she should be thankful her successful career started with such a prestigious program that is exported around the world and people were like I can't give a fuck and all the f-list talents.'

Oh yeah a Hemsworth as well

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on December 29, 2013, 11:45:59 PM
Steve Guttenberg's career dropped dead for some reason in 1990.

What killed his chances was getting slammed in the Lee&Herring Fist Of Fun book.

Famous Mortimer

Melissa George was brilliant in that "Hunted", it's a damn shame it got cancelled after one series.

Xindioka

I'm rather happy that the career of that talentless, thuggish twat Vinnie Jones has been in a permanent downward spiral after his brief moment of fame at the turn of the century. People really did seem to think he had a viable future as a film star back then - I even remember him on a UK chatshow embarrassingly being introduced as 'Hollywood actor Vinnie Jones'. The last thing I saw him in was a dreadful mini-appearence in limited-release shite Crossfire.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on December 30, 2013, 06:10:06 PM
Isla Fisher seemed to vanish for a few years, then suddenly she was everywhere

Her career seems to have gained traction around 2002 which is the same year she started going out with Sacha Baron Cohen. Pure coincidence of course.

great_badir

Quote from: kaprisky on December 29, 2013, 07:52:37 PM
Dominic Anciano and Ray Burdis - two of the three people responsible for Operation Good Guys, they made two feature films in the post-Guy Ritchie, gangster bandwagon (Final Cut and Love Honour And Obey) then promptly disappeared.

Largely because both films did so badly (I believe it is true that the combined catering budgets were larger than what they actually made back at the box office on their respective theatrical releases) and garnered so many (deservedly) scathing reviews, that they were told to do one.

I'm troubled that both films seem to be having some sort of latter day appreciation, because they are terrible.  And I LOVED Operation Good Guys.

I'll add Mischa Barton.  She was absolutely brilliant in the great Lawn Dogs, and similarly brilliant in the not-so great Pups (directed by Ash Baron-Cohen, of the Baron-Cohen dynasty), and then she turned into a bitch, gave up on proper acting, starred in endless lightweight "comedies" and dramas, and became famous just for being famous.  She had such promise.

Melodichaze

Quote from: Xindioka on February 15, 2014, 06:48:00 PM
I'm rather happy that the career of that talentless, thuggish twat Vinnie Jones has been in a permanent downward spiral after his brief moment of fame at the turn of the century. People really did seem to think he had a viable future as a film star back then - I even remember him on a UK chatshow embarrassingly being introduced as 'Hollywood actor Vinnie Jones'. The last thing I saw him in was a dreadful mini-appearence in limited-release shite Crossfire.

Mostly recently in a number of episodes of Elementary, playing - you guessed it - a thuggish, villain-type...

Thora Birch sprang to my mind when I saw this thread as did Patrick Fugit - lead roles in Almost Famous, Wristcutters: A love story, etc and then disappeared into thin air making the odd "tv movie" and "short film".

Devon Sawa was another one that came to mind; big in the early 2000s with SLC Punk!, Idle Hands, Final Destination films and Eminem's 'Stan' video and then disappeared into obscurity. Apparently he now stars in the Nikita tv show (never seen) and is rumoured for SLC Punk 2 (-which I think is going to be a bloody disaster).

Josh Hartnett is another one I remember being *everywhere* and then faded out too

great_badir

Quote from: kaprisky on December 30, 2013, 07:51:44 PM
I've got another one: Richard Stanley.

Made sci-fi Brit flick Hardware, had difficulties with Scala favourite Dust Devil, did a longform music video for Marillion and got kicked off some big budget Hollywood film. That documentary that was rejected by BSB sounds interesting.

I think he's doing okay for himself, he's just doing lots of different things other than just making films (which he is still involved with). 

In fact, he appears in the Jodorowsky Dune doc, which is being discussed in another thread.

Talulah, really!

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 15, 2014, 04:29:15 PM
Melissa George was brilliant in that "Hunted", it's a damn shame it got cancelled after one series.

She was, and is absolutely brilliant in A lonely place to die which I suspect you might well like, it has touches of Severance[nb]I like Christopher Smith's films too.[/nb] to it and some bloody awesome climbing set pieces, totally vertigo inducing when I saw it in the cinema.

Anyway speaking of Stahlled careers, Nick Stahl, back at the start of the millenium he made two good breakout performances in In The Room[nb]He'd have had a better career if he'd been in The Room, eh, readers?[/nb] and Bully[nb]The only film I've been to where at the end half the audience applauded and half began booing.[/nb] stepped up to the big time with Terminator 3 then ???[nb]Mind Terminator didn't do much for Edward Furlong's career[nb]Was going say the world was his lobster then the lobster was his world till remembered that isn't the actual phrase but a misquote from something else like Only fools and horses.[nb]Only put that in so that there are more footnotes than post.[/nb][/nb][nb]Neither did Edward Furlong[nb]Still we'll always have his Pecker[nb]Such a sweet film.[/nb][/nb][/nb][/nb]

Custard

It'd be interesting to know what happened with Josh Hartnett.

One minute he was getting plum roles in big budget films. The next he was on the scrapheap.

The last thing I saw him in, in a lead role, was 30 Days Of Night.

I read that he had a big falling out with Harrison Ford, to the point of nearly having a fist-fight on set, so maybe thats what done it.

Ford didn't like Shia LeBouf either, and he looks to be on the way out too.

Moral of the story is, don't be falling out with Harrison Ford, y'all.

mothman

What the Hell Happened? hasn't done Hartnett yet, I've put in a request...

Talulah, really!

phantom_power

Channing Tatum could be the inspiration for another thread;  actors you thought would be shit pretty boys but turned out to be good and funny with it

Incandenza

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 29, 2013, 05:22:51 PM
I was reading an excellent article on straight-to-video action films

I would love to read this if you have a link?

BlodwynPig

Melissa George in Mulholland Drive

Julia Ormond in INLAND EMPIRE

Marty McFly

When Roger Lloyd Pack died, his daughter Emily Lloyd was mentioned quite a bit in the media. There was a name I hadn't heard in ages! Turns out that she's had some utterly horrible mental health issues and hasn't worked (in film/TV anyway) for a long time because of it. A shame because she's a terrific actress.

vrailaine

She was given a very prominent role in In Treatment and damn near ruined the whole show by being so shite in it.

Quote from: Glebe on December 31, 2013, 03:02:13 PM
He has a reputation for being 'difficult', apparently.
I thought that was balls and the real reasons he vanished were:
1) He didn't give much of a fuck
2) He's an ugly bald guy

Famous Mortimer

Re: Hartnett, if I had to guess, I'd say it was due to his films flopping...

But looking at Boxofficemojo, that appears to not be the case. It looks like he took time away from acting and made a conscious effort to be less "famous".

And Incandenza, that article is here. I can heartily recommend the first "Ninja" and the last two "Universal Soldier" films, if you want to dip your toe in.